Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Championship 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 am

It's not hindsight as I said it before the game that Laois were abject. Having seen them, they are abject with a capital ABJECT. I never feared for Kildare today because you don't end up in Div 4 for no reason. Most of that Laois team have been on the end of a number of trimmings from Kildare. They had another today and it was glorious. The arrogance shown by us was magnificent.

Anyway enough about them, a good display. Strong, physical, hard running at angles and a focal point in Flynn who would give any defender nightmares. Even our tackling seems to have come on a huge amount. Remember, this is without our two best corner forwards. That game will bring them on a lot.

Meath up next. I thought Louth might cause a shock but they pulled away late on. They seem to have improved since the league. Listening to Newstalk on the way home and Anthony Moyles was talking up their forwards and the pace they have. Our defenders are not slouches and you need space to run into.
Pity Brophy was not a little further on as a two man inside forward line of himself and Flynn being hit with early ball could be dynamite.

Well down to the players and management, a super day to enjoy with no work tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:27 am

Given that I said Kildare -7 @ 100/30 was the bet of the year I don't know how that makes me captain hindsight but anyway. Look back and you will see I said Laois were flat track bullies. Little pace to the game, wasted goal opportunities and some dreadful turnovers were the negatives. Keith Cribbin, the tackling of the defenders and Dan Flynn playing a full championship game were the positives. But people have to appreciate how bad Laois were. They hadn't enough of energy to get anyone sent off.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 am

Keith Cribben was outstanding. Also credit to Cian O'Neill and management we looked very organised and physically another level from Laois. Laois though were poor, Meath will be a set up but are still leaking goals. Our record in O'Connor park should give us the edge.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:47 am

Very happy with that. After the dodgy opening, we put them to the sword. 11 of the starting 15 scored plus 2 more of the subs. Laois were dire but as the cliche says, you can only beat what is put in front of you. Dan Flynn showed what we have missed in the last 2 championship years. However, Meath will no doubt be a sterner test and the comfortable win in Navan in February will count for nothing but we should go into it with confidence and with Paddy Brophy still in reserve.

Yet again for me Fergal Conway was exceptional today - his level of performance never seems to dip. Breaks challenges, tidies up, sets other players up - the real bread and butter stuff.

One slight concern - Kevin Feely's free-taking was not as assured as it was during the league - in fairness he has set the bar high - but with Neil Flynn out for a while it is a slight worry. Frees the next day could be crucial.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:58 am

Wondered beforehand how much we had improved since last year and it's clear now that we are a long way further down the line. Genuinely thought Laois would tear into us today but they were hopeless. If we can keep Dan Flynn right, himself and Kelly will cause problems for any team. It's a shame that Neil Flynn and McCormack are injured although McNally certainly justified his inclusion while Slattery grew into the game and offers an option further back the pitch as he showed in the second half.

Meath will offer up a much stiffer resistance and it will be interesting to see how whether the likes of Hyland and O'Grady can perform as well under greater pressure. If they can limit Reilly and Cillian O'Sullivan then we have a great chance in two weeks time.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 am

Kildare 10/11. Meath 11/10. Draw 8/1.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:27 am

Anyone worried that we only got one goal in a dominant performance? Probably will need a few next day as Meath look capable of running up a good point tally. Listening on radio I got the impression that we had chances but opted for points instead.
Don't forget that Laois should have beaten us two years ago but never looked like they had a sniff today. We are making progress.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:53 am

murof wrote:
Anyone worried that we only got one goal in a dominant performance?  Probably will need a few next day as Meath look capable of running up a good point tally. Listening on radio I got the impression that we had chances but opted for points instead.
Don't forget that Laois should have beaten us two years ago but never looked like they had a sniff today. We are making progress.

Fair point murof but there were a few situations today where players had goal chances but chose to take the point. And while Meath scored 27 points they conceded 3 goals. Swings and roundabouts
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 am

Let Meath talk themselves up as they always do. Trust me when i say we have better players than they do. Bring it on.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:17 am

See Jim gavin had member of backroom team in Tullamore today
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 am

a postscript

I noticed last night at the Dublin/Carlow match in O'Moore Park they played 'Molly Malone' after the game so was fully expecting to hear the 'Curragh of Kildare' booming out through the PA system in Tullamore after the game this afternoon. Never happened though.

They must have felt the Dubs in Portlaoise were feeling homesick after nearly spending 4 hours out of the city!

Last edited by jimmers on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:58 am

I also think Cathal Mcnally deserves a mention. He had a great game and proved alot of his critics wrong. He is very quick and will run all day, will take a fair man to stick with him for 70 minutes.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 am

Match report on today's game with player ratings. McNally gets a mention for sure, Bigball. Did well.

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/upwardly-mobile-kildare-destroy-laois-again-kildare-1-21-laois-1-7/
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 am

jimmers wrote:
a postscript

I noticed last night at the Dublin/Carlow match in O'Moore Park they played 'Molly Malone' after the game so was fully expecting to hear the 'Curragh of Kildare' booming out though the PA system in Tullamore after the game this afternoon. Never happened though.

They must have felt the Dubs in Portlaoise were feeling homesick after nearly spending 4 hours out of the city!

Come on now jiimmers,,,,,  those songs you mention would not be allowed inside that sacred ground ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Now on a serious note::::: any time the "queens" are slaughtered is a good one in biffoland so thanks Lilies for a good days work.....
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

kelf wrote:

Now on a serious note::::: any time the "queens" are slaughtered is a good one in biffoland so thanks Lilies for a good days work.....

You tryin' ta jump on the bandwagon Kelf, piss of back to biffoland and start beating them yourselves. We're on a roll and to be honest we looked better than the Dubs were last night. I think Leinster is wide open this year but lets not get carried away yet, the way Laois played today I think even Carlow would have beaten them.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

This is a quality kildare team. Start believing lads. This is a quality side.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Let's not get totally carried away Borderline. Dubs are peaking for August and Leinster doesn't just even out overnight. Kildare are peaking for the semi final you'd imagine. While I believe Dublin's star will wane they are still a good bit ahead of us and Meath although there's an opening for either of those to take over after this year. Hard to see it being Meath when you consider the relative strength of the two counties at underage of late. Cill Dara Abú.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Don't take anything borderline says seriously. He/she is a Laois supporter trying to stir it here. After yesterdays beating he/she is lashing out.

Definite signs we have improved as have Meath. Dublin for whatever reason seem to have slowed their game down. Kilkenny goes sidewards more than a crab. But they are still a year or two ahead. They'll say Leinster doesn't matter, but if any team starts to threaten them the vitriol will flow.

We have such a young team that if we can keep them all together there is a great chance in the next three years to win a Leinster.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm

i was a bit worried going into this game yesterday but hindsight is 20/20.
I cannot get over how poor laois were. all over the field not one player can say they put in anything like a respectable performance.

we are none the wiser about where this kildare team is currently, but that really doesn't matter at the moment for a number of reasons. Meath will be another test, a different kind of test considering meath will always have a tradition of not fearing anyone in Leinster. in saying i've no doubt we have the better players than Meath, it will be all down to mentality and mindset on the day. Keeping Graham Reilly quiet will be the key to winning.
we are an extremely young team and with that can come some speed bumps as we develop.

on any potential future Leinster title - Dublin are head and shoulders above anyone in Leinster. They are churning out talent year on year, when they are not churning out talent they have the ability to churn out top class athletes and give them THE BEST preparation . This will be extremely hard to compete with, all we want to be from a Kildare perspective is maximising our resources and talent pool and see where it leaves us. The scars of previous Dublin hammerings will take a while to rehab, however in the mean time lets try make ourselves the best of the rest
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Dublin are still ahead, but something people need to keep in mind – this is still a young Kildare team. The core of the side are still a few years from their peak. Not that we shouldn't make hay in the meantime, but we need to bear it in mind.

Also... I do believe last year's minor team was as good as the 2010 minor team (the core of the current senior side). Yes, they were hockeyed by Kerry in AI semi-final - but that Kerry team was honestly the best minor team I've ever seen. These things happen.

I'm telling you, there are counties around the country who'd kill for some of those players, and in particular forwards like Jack Robinson and Jimmy Hyland. Despite all the potential, nothing will happen if we don't keep the pressure on. We need to continue developing underage talent – hopefully beat the Dubs at minor again this year – and keep pushing at senior level.

Maybe not this year, but Dublin are definitely going to be vulnerable at some point over the next few years. Either when Gavin goes or he has to build a new side. Like I say, keep pushing and don't stop till we get there.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Let's get over the Royals first folks before we even dare dream of a Leinster.. I'm as positvive as the next and it's always a good day when we beat Laois.. but let's not get carried away yet.
Ffs even Spillane is talking us up and wanting to manage us.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Don't think anyone is even considering beating Dublin this year or next year, but for the first time in a long time we have reasons to be optimistic. We have a good squad, a top class manager, good back room team and even the off field aspects have been improved. If we keep improving along these lines we should be competitive. That is what most of us want. Going into a game knowing you have a decent chance of winning.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Best thing for me is that we can get so much stronger as the last few minor teams come through. It may not happen this year or nxt but kildare will be a force to be reckoned with in the next 2 to 3 years.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:05 am

HG, actually think our minor side of 2 years ago was our best since 2010 and will be very disappointed if a lot of them don't make it to the senior squad soon.
Watching the highlights of the Meath game and can only hope they keep the same keeper as he looks a complete liability. Who have we to mark Reilly? Keep him quiet and we have a real chance.
Spillane thinks Cian has us playing Kerry style football.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:17 am

Xavi wrote:
i was a bit worried going into this game yesterday but hindsight is 20/20.
I cannot get over how poor laois were. all over the field not one player can say they put in anything like a respectable performance.

we are none the wiser about where this kildare team is currently, but that really doesn't matter at the moment for a number of reasons. Meath will be another test, a different kind of test considering meath will always have a tradition of not fearing anyone in Leinster. in saying i've no doubt we have the better players than Meath, it will be all down to mentality and mindset on the day. Keeping Graham Reilly quiet will be the key to winning.
we are an extremely young team and with that can come some speed bumps as we develop.

on any potential future Leinster title - Dublin are head and shoulders above anyone in Leinster. They are churning out talent year on year, when they are not churning out talent they have the ability to churn out top class athletes and give them THE BEST preparation . This will be extremely hard to compete with, all we want to be from a Kildare perspective is maximising our resources and talent pool and see where it leaves us. The scars of previous Dublin hammerings will take a while to rehab, however in the mean time lets try make ourselves the best of the rest

Thought O'Loughlin at least tried in the first half until even his head dropped. Kept running into a white wall thank god. Actually the no.10 on their ladies team was probably the best Leix player on view yesterday. No disrespect intended.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   

Back to top Go down

Championship 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next