Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Club Championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Moorefield were the best all-round team yesterday although Celbridge were also a solid outfit with some unheralded performers but back-boned by a strong defence in which O'Grady and Lyons excelled. Kevin Flynn also looked good but possibly not inter-county standard. I'd heard good things about him as a possible county full back but he seems too slight for that role to me. Brophy sprinkled some stardust on proceedings despite being well marked and somewhat starved of possession. Johnstown Bridge will be really disappointed with their county lads with one honourable exception. Daniel can be so frustrating and had a similar nightmare to the Armagh match. He got some good early possessions but wasted them all and gradually became peripheral. McNally did very little despite working hard, Keith looked like he wasn't fully fit. Paul Cribbin was their best player by a mile and scored some excellent points to keep them in with a shout for as long as he did. Luke certainly looks like a strong, pacy defender and I'd like to see him callled in if he makes himself available this year. As regards Hurley let's just hope he is a long way from fitness. I wouldn't say any more.

As regards Moores, to be clear I thought they were excellent on the day. And not just as a dogged, spoiling outfit. They attacked with purpose and precision from the first minute and scored some marvellous points through Eanna O'Connor, Tyrell and Roli late on. Hurley-Lynch was a revelation to me at corner forward. Masterson at midfield gave them the height and Daryl the bite to combat Feely and Connell.

Athy in fairness to them did show some guts to claw themselves back to two points but Kelly really should have taken his point at that stage and played the percentages. Instead went for the lower probability option and Moorefield were soon grabbing their third goal on the counter. Game over.

Athy might have more current inter co players but you can't ignore the pedigree in Moores. David Whyte never quite made it with Kildare but he was everywhere yesterday, Murnaghan swept up loads at the back, Flynn intimidated the life out of me and I was in the relative safety of the stand. Tyrell lit up the place with some remarkable scores from distance. Not to everyone's taste I know and possibly another lad who doesn't do it in Croker when the chips are down. Then they were able to send on Roli and Houli late on while Athy were sending in a 20 stone chap up front after O'Neill's came up with the goods and found a Junior B sized pair of shorts at the last minute.

Can't see the final being much of a classic for the purist. Have tipped Celbridge so far but was more impressed with the men in green yesterday.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Reading this thread there's an air of doom and gloom after the semi finals yday for some reason. Most of it perpetrated by people who were not even at the matches like TK and HG. Anyone who thinks either winner yesterday 'will be clubbed shitless' byou Portlaoise doesnt know what they are talking about. 2 good teamservice in the Kildare final. Neither will be too worried about Leinster club just yet.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:41 pm

To be fair, Masterson I do think is a genuinely brilliant player. At county level, Tyrrell and O'Connor not up to it in my opinion, or anywhere close.

A Celbridge win would create a new dynamic in Kildare football which would be nice to see. But my prediction is a Moorefield win followed by then coming up short yet again v Portlaoise/Rhode/Dublin champs. And anyone whinging about me being supposedly "anti" Moores/Sash, I'm going to wait for some concrete evidence to back up the hype, because I'm sick of hearing about them being "top" teams with absolutely nothing to back it up.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:45 pm

To me the absolute classic example was 2012 - Sarsfields lads banging on about the team. Then they go and get stuffed by Ballymun Kickhams - in Newbridge!!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 am

Having seen more club football in Kildare than I'd like to in recent years, for me the standard is not as good as Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone. I'm looking at it through prism of us developing as a county. Overall we're probably closer to Meath which has to be cause for concern.
Back to top Go down
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 am

Overall standard is poor alright. But it has always been poor. The senior final will be a boring affair. It will be slow and tactical. Whoever wins will make no impression in Leinster. We are too cocky in this county i believe. Always hyping up fellas then when they come up against good players from other counties their found out. I knew JTB and Athy would lose yesterday. Two teams that have good individual players and not good team players. Anyway i predict a Moorefield win and then they will be knocked out of Leinster at the first hurdle.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:48 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
To be fair, Masterson I do think is a genuinely brilliant player. At county level, Tyrrell and O'Connor not up to it in my opinion, or anywhere close.

A Celbridge win would create a new dynamic in Kildare football which would be nice to see. But my prediction is a Moorefield win followed by then coming up short yet again v Portlaoise/Rhode/Dublin champs. And anyone whinging about me being supposedly "anti" Moores/Sash, I'm going to wait for some concrete evidence to back up the hype, because I'm sick of hearing about them being "top" teams with absolutely nothing to back it up.

I didn't say O'Connor was a good county player. I think Tyrell has good attributes and would have played this season if available all year I imagine. Granted he's not going to win us Leinster's or All Ireland's but we don't have players in the county who will do that sadly.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:25 am

Can't believe the hammering Moorefield are getting here, they were the most exciting team yesterday. A team with a plan and a forwards formation that Athy couldn't cope with. All done at pace. The first 2 goals and the game clincher in the second half were all well worked. Cein O'Neill take note. I have watched them for the last few years and yes they can be negative and cynical (especially v Sarsfields but the local derby effect could be responsible for that) yesterday was a revelation.
Moorefield and Sarsfields have been the dominant clubs for the last 5 years (perhaps back to the late nineties looking at the roll of honour) for a reason. Plenty of top class footballers and a game plan that may not always work but at least the players know their roles and what is expected of them. Plus the 2 most dominant and influential players at club level by a mile are Gary Whyte and Ronan Sweeney. They bring presence, leadership and seem to be able to galvanize the other players. None of the other semifinalists yesterday have that type of player.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:28 am

absoluetly disturbing hatred for anything that moves and comes from Newbridge, jealousy and hatred,very very disturbing?

again disturbing levels.,
Back to top Go down
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 am

IFC Relegation final

Kilcullen 1-15 to 0-8 Castlemitchell

Castlemitchell finally put out of their intermediate misery
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:31 am

Sarsfields v Clane in Minor A final

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am

Just had a look at final record and since Raheens won in 81, Kildare clubs have been in a grand total of five finals and lost them all except Moorefield 06. Laois, Offaly - even Wicklow and Carlow! - have a better record. It's actually shocking.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Jesus HG you are so negative ive had enough good luck
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:26 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

"Top teams" "Waiting for back up".... is winning 6 of the last 7 county championships enough backup? Maybe we could go further and say between them they have won 13 of the last 18 county championships. Not sure what more backup is needed? Caertainly top teams in Kildare is undisputed.

As for Leinster one of the Newbridge teams won Leinster and went within a 45 of an-ireland final appearance. After that Sarsfields went very close on a few occassions and one time sportingly offered a replay to a dublin counterpart when they could have just walked away from it and maybe won a leinster themselves. Both have gone very close against Dublin teams and Portlaoise with only a kick of the ball between them.

Bear in mind the rampaging Portlaoise team who consistently win their championship and usually get to Leinster finals are picking from a town of 20,000. Newbridge has to split that between two teams. Its actually remarkable how both can dominate in Kildare over such a long period.

Instead of pointing the finger in the direction of Newbridge I suggest it should be pointed elsewhere at the other conurbations like Naas, Athy, Leixlip and Celbridge who have struggled to rise to the challenge consistently.

Moorefield were superb on saturday. 3-13 from a dogged dour outfit!!!..give me a break. SOme of the scores and general play were superb. Athy contributed to a good game and got themselves back in but I think some wasteful shooting from some of their county men stifled the comeback.

I only saw the second half of JTB and Celbridge and it was poor but it looked like Celbridge had the game won and JTB couldn't lift themselves to get going again. Maybe the pressure of getting to a final caught up on them. Celbridge were big and strong and managed that second half very well.

I see no reason why we cant have an exciting and even county final.

Leinster football late October to December will be a dogfight. It always is. Both these teams have no reason to believe they can't be competitive but I doubt they are thinking beyond October 15th.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:32 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
bigball wrote:
The top teams in Kildare are a match for any of the top teams

Based on what and when? Ultimate example of the social media world... because I say it therefore it means as much as someone who argues against it with all the facts.

Moorefield or Celbridge would and will be clubbed shiteless by Leinster's best (Dublin and Portlaoise) yet again. And rather than arguing against reality, let's see them do something. The problem with too much talk is it loses its initial purpose. I mean this out of total respect for Moorefield, but 15 ruthless men can year on year beat asunder far more talented players in our county who retire shorts such are literal skid marks. What does that say about the managers elsewhere and, worse, the lack of Moorefield attitude. And imagine when they get to county.

You want it, go get it. I know in my club they'd rather talk about it than do it. The Laois minor attitude we laugh about is all over our lads. How many county players on today's two losing semi-finalists? I wasn't there but guessing older, stronger more tired men wanted it and they didn't? I understand the club game and two mighty efforts got through and not trying to diminish that. But the bigger picture - all that underage stuff we talk of - we are done for.

Sorry Tommy. You are wrong. I watch the Laois championship. Portlaoise have dropped massively in the last couple of years. Absolutely nothing to fear there anymore. People complain about the Kildare championship but my God its way better than the Laois one.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Since Moorefield won in 06 Dublin clubs have won 10 times. Theirn lies the big problem, they are almost as professional at club level as the county with the resources they have.
If Moorefield were to play as well as they did on Saturday then they could go close. Remains to be seen how some of their forwards would cope with Cooper or McMahon!
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 pm

ye have to remember lads . dublin club teams attract an awful lot of top players from other counties that work in dublin. while they may not be that well known , they are really good club players . 
That o carroll lad from limerick lives in kildare but plays for castleknock. so for any county champions in leinster to compete with the dublin champions is tough.
moorefield drew with St Brigids in a challenge last week and ballymun beat brigids by 8 on saturday.
thats probably a true reflection where kildare club football is against dublin. 
some disrespectful comments about our club championship on this forum. Its easy say its poor . trying winning it . 
Takes a serious good team to win the kildare senior championship . moores and celbridge are 2 top teams . i think either team will represent the county well in leinster and best of luck to them.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:23 am

Sam1928 wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
bigball wrote:
The top teams in Kildare are a match for any of the top teams

Based on what and when? Ultimate example of the social media world... because I say it therefore it means as much as someone who argues against it with all the facts.

Moorefield or Celbridge would and will be clubbed shiteless by Leinster's best (Dublin and Portlaoise) yet again. And rather than arguing against reality, let's see them do something. The problem with too much talk is it loses its initial purpose. I mean this out of total respect for Moorefield, but 15 ruthless men can year on year beat asunder far more talented players in our county who retire shorts such are literal skid marks. What does that say about the managers elsewhere and, worse, the lack of Moorefield attitude. And imagine when they get to county.

You want it, go get it. I know in my club they'd rather talk about it than do it. The Laois minor attitude we laugh about is all over our lads. How many county players on today's two losing semi-finalists? I wasn't there but guessing older, stronger more tired men wanted it and they didn't? I understand the club game and two mighty efforts got through and not trying to diminish that. But the bigger picture - all that underage stuff we talk of - we are done for.

Sorry Tommy. You are wrong. I watch the Laois championship. Portlaoise have dropped massively in the last couple of years. Absolutely nothing to fear there anymore. People complain about the Kildare championship but my God its way better than the Laois one.

Celbridge beat two of Dublin's best teams in challenge matches over the last few weeks.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:43 am

Only twice in the last 10 Leinster campaigns have the Kildare champions won more than a single game. Highest profile wins were against no more than edenerry and Rathnew. The strength of Dublin clubs is an issue but we haven't been near good enough to usually get a shot at them over that decade.

Always want Kildare clubs to do well no matter who comes out of our championship, but been hearing about rather than seeing their ability for a long time now.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:08 am

Can someone actually give me evidence of the hype of Kildare clubs teams and their chances in Leinster and where it actually eminates from? Unless I am missing something obvious I have never noticed the likes of Moorefield / Sarsfields / Celbridge / Athy / Larries and Towers ever talk up their chances of winning Leinster.

Is the "hype" in peoples heads as a way of getting an aul dig in????
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 am

I say far play to Moorefield. And well done to Celbridge too. We hear a lot of hype about other teams but consistently its the Newbridge sides who produce. You have to hand it to them. And it certainly feels to me that a lot of the other teams seems to lack a bit of bite. I hope I am not being harsh. Until these clubs constantly compete in finals and win some then they may sit back and shut up.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:18 am

well said botch
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Anyway can we Park the Senior Final for just a few days and give Kilcock and Raheens some airtime. Having seen Kilcock I think they will give Raheens a game of it but I think Raheens have got things back on track after their 1st Round loss. They've come through the tougher side of the draw and all good wins. Raheens by 4 Pts
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
Anyway can we Park the Senior Final for just a few days and give Kilcock and Raheens some airtime. Having seen Kilcock I think they will give Raheens a game of it but I think Raheens have got things back on track after their 1st Round loss. They've come through the tougher side of the draw and all good wins.  Raheens by 4 Pts

This will be a cracker again raheens probably the better footballing side but kilcock have something about them too they made it very hard on raheens the first day and got to the likes of woodgate and igoe. If they can do the same again they'll just about win it but I fancy declan o toole to have them well prepared for it and to win by 3/4 points.

I see brendan cawley down to ref it which must mean noel mckenna will get senior final.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:02 am

I fancy raheens. Tight at start but will pull away in the end
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   

Back to top Go down

Club Championship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top