Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Club Championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
AuthorMessage
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:55 am

confey drew with moorefield in the first round.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:56 am

fair play to moores. serious heart    . dream year for ross winning the dublin. hope they give leinster a go.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Holy moly that was depressing.

Thank god for the minors.

Agree 100%. A team containing 4 county 'stars' outplayed completely by 13 men.

Respect for Moorefield's achievement is tempered by the activities of their sideline all through the second half when magical second and third balls appeared on the pitch every time Celbridge had a kick-out. Some will say fair play to Moorefield - you do what you need to do etc. - but it was gamesmanship at it's worst. And the referee and linesmen did nothing about it.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:59 am

At least we have Moorefield and Sarsfields every other Year.. Rhode and Portlaoise win again.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 am

Well done Moorefield. They have an unbelievable will to win.
Celbridge were very very poor.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:32 am

Sidenote: unless I'm mistaken the same two linesmen did minor and senior games?

What's the story with that? Are there not four lads who could tog out for county finals?

Back to top Go down
Tjmm
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 am

It's not until our County 'Stars' decide to show up in Club Championship games and overcome the sheer doggedness of the likes of Mooorefield on a consistent basis, we are not going to progress at county level.

There are many Moorefield detractors on this forum, however you have to hand it to them for being able to deliver on a consistent basis. You cannot beat a team that will not allow itself to be beaten. Ross, Kevin & Frankie have instilled a determination in that team that we all could do with a county level. Moorefield shut out the Stars in the semi final and did so again today. We have all seen the throwing of sat nav packs at free-takers, and the dragging to the ground of players en masse for a final kick out in a game, like it or not those teams are doing everything possible in their powers to win. Respect. We need that Moorefield determination at county level and the quicker the better.

PS: I hope it's not, but if this is the last time we have seen Roly play competitive football in KIldare apart from the up and coming Leinster Club campaign, we should all congratulate and thank him for the remarkable service that he has given to both club and county over the years. It's been our pleasure. Respect.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 am

You can never write them off. Down to 13 and still played smarter and better than Celbridge. Can't believe Celbridge continued to play the same way all day. You would think that their senior players would realise it was never going to work and try and sort the mess out. It's similar to the County team, when it starts going wrong no one is capable of making on field decisions. Celbridge will never get a better chance than today.

Moorefield care not a bit about what others think. They have one goal, win. Win at all costs. That's why Roli is picking up his eighth senior medal. Hope he can instill some of that nasty streak in the County team. Celbridge certainly could have done with some.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:07 am

Good point Rex
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am

I was reading a lot of people on twitter saying they would struggle to see any Moorefield players making the kildare team . Now Athy have 5 county players and Celbridge have 5 county players and yet Moorefield can overturn both. I think we need to review what makes a county player. We need to stop looking at technical ability as the barometer. There is so so much more.
Look at Glen Ryan . Yes he had decent skill but far from brilliant skill but it's his aggression, his will to win, his lack of respect for the opposition that made him the player he was. I really think untill we start changing the defination of a county player.

Anyway I'm off for a pint now...
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 am

What Moorefield have done and was a feature of this years team too is that they are more than the um of their parts so while they may not have many players that are up to county standard, they are carrying no passengers either which I don't think any other team in the county can say.

Anybody who saw Ross Glavin's interviews prior to the game will know what a blessing it was to have no county players this year, he will lose at least two in Mark Dempey and Aaron masterson to the county panel next year, Tyrell may be asked back in but not ure how much interest he has in playing with Kildare.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 am

I disagree top cat. They have had plenty of county players down the years and still won championships. They are a different animal that most clubs excluding yourselves obviously
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:12 pm

The best team won yesterday as they know how to win a battle which is something I don't think Celbridge could do, however I think the influence of having Jack O'Connor on the sideline during the second half cannot be underplayed. He some man for Ross and the boys to bounce ideas of when in a battle.

Could Celbridge have won had he been on there sideline guiding there management team ??
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 pm

I wonder was it his idea to kick in an extra couple of balls for every Celbridge kick out in the last 20 mins? Delay, confusion and frustration for Celbridge. Of course Kerry being the home of pure football those kind of tactics would never be even considered?
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 pm

In fairness, Jack gave out to them for that carry on o I doubt it was his idea, the onus there is on the lineman to help the ref and red card the sub who are doing it, this wouldn't have helped Celbridge at all but those players would have been suspended for the first round of Leinster.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

It's a poor reflection on Kildare football when a team with no county players can easily dismiss two teams with half the county starting line-up.
It's also a poor reflection on Moorefield that after a brilliant football display in the semi-final they resort to type so quickly for the final. They will now have a weakened team for the next day and probably bow out tamely to Portlaoise .
Overall a disappointing championship with very few potential recruits on show. Hopefully Masterson and Dempsey can continue to improve.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 pm

In all fairness murof, Moorefields hand was forced yesterday with the two sending offs, they showed they were tactically far more astute than Celbridge, their leader stepped up big time particularly Murnaghan who was excellent. Their use of the ball was brilliant also.
Back to top Go down
archie
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Any thoughts on the Minor final. Clane got over the line at last.
Their 2 midfielders were outstanding.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 pm

I was referring to their indiscipline which is a recurring problem. It has cost them in the past in Leinster and looks like it will do so again. As I said before they are the only Kildare team who always play as a team and I include the county team in that.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:46 pm

I thought it was a very good game quite a high standard, felt sorry for our lads naturally enough, not getting over the line, Clane midfielders played very well, they also had a very good corner forward (13) and the centre forward played well also.

Sash full back I though was excellent and Sash number 9 came into it the second half. Darragh Ryan also kicked some good points in the second half.

Overall Clane were the better team and after losing the last two finals, they probably deserved to get over the line in this one!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Some Celbridge Lads were more interested in how there hair was sitting.. regarding County Players and Moorefield lack off.. in fairness most of them have been in with Cian at this stage.. and no doubts those who weren't will be now.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Some bang for the buck in Conleths yesterday. 2 hugely engrossing games. Minor was top quality, flowed back and forth and after two defeats in a row at that stage you'd have to credit Clane for seeing it out in the end. Bit of the Cillian O'Connor 2013 about the last free for the sash. Surprised he didn't try to work a goal after free taker talking to ref and then been blown before the kickout. There ya go.
As an aside a fella in the stand was telling me that a Clane player was getting a few quid to play for them as he wouldn't play otherwise. I laughed it off. However, thinking about it, it's quite ironic given the Clane managers involvement in the Gooch's testimonial.

Senior game, my god. Unforgettable. To miss the peno, 2 red cards of your captain and vice captain so early in the game and to manage the game out here after. Ross Glavin take a bow. I watched him after both reds. No feeling sorry for himself, just straight over to Hannify to get him on to dish out instructions. In fairness to Celbridge they could not have expected in their wildest dreams for that to happen so that they didn't adjust accordingly straight away is forgivable. But what is a huge indictment on the management is when they came out in he second half and the only noticeable difference was them squeezing up on the Moores kickouts. They persisted with there boring ultra conservative approach  of playing the ball from side to side. when you have one of the best forwards in the country and you won't let him attack, take on his man, that is criminal. No one would break the line. Play a forty meter foot pass. No. When Moorefeild won the throw In at start of second half Conway stopped for a second and just looked down instead of chasing back immediately and trying to win it back. O'Sullivan had no faith In his players skill sets and smothered them in his over elaborate, cowardly system of play. If he's not dismissed on the spot He must have some dirt on the committee. He had an unreal Celbridge minor team and they bottled two finals too. Only won one when it was up against Castledermot in the final. Notable for the programme that day. Celbridge had 20 odd subs, think Castledermot had 4.

Anyway the Moores. Dempsey and Masterson will hopefully have long distinguished careers in Kildare jerseys if their current trajectory conutinues. Murnaghan was unbelievable for first minute to last. With two spare men Celbridge fucked up not double marking him. Was interesting to see Murnagahn at half time to go to the dug out to embrace Davy Whyte. No such affection for Flynn.
Great to see Sweeney put last years disaster behind him. He's been the best club footballer in Kildare over the last 15 years and as a neutral I felt he didn't deserve to be remembered for last year.
When Cian O'Neills long and successful reign comes to an end its good to see that Moorefield have the next county ready to go. Maybe Jack O'C will be selector!!
Back to top Go down
realmoore
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:28 am

has to go down in our history as the best game ever, even eclipsing the come from behind victory over Sarsfields a few years ago. thankfully our 3rd Adult champ final this year(lost Reserve A and D Finals), went the right way for us.

to a man every one of them was unselfish and worked for each other till they had nothing to give. i thought the management got it spot on by conceding every kick out thereafter the 2 red cards and just setting up a line around the 45/midfield to try stop Celbridge.

whenever we did turn it over, Eddie Heavey or Eanna were always on the move, lads never panicked and recycled the ball to wait for our chance.

I found it quiet strange watching Celbridge still playing a sweeper when they had two men spare, or not even trying a long/direct ball into the square towards the end of the game. for me if that was Sarsfields or Athy with the more proven scoring spread/power, they would have maybe been better organised and not afraid to shoot.

at the end of the year, the best TEAM has won the championship in my opinion, showing that we can defend when needed, score when needed. a great first year in charge for the management team.

im sure next year we wont have the luxury of no county players as perhaps Healy/Dempsey/Murray/Masterson/Tyrell and Eanna may each be asked in for trials(or at least involved with the 20s in some cases), plus whatever lads leave on Army tours in November/March(i hear two are off in November anyway).
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:31 am

Would agree Realmoore - definitely it's all about the team with Moores. As I said earlier, I personally don't find them that exciting to watch - not that they care - but you can't knock their record in Kildare.

It's funny, when I was growing up, Clane won several championships and reached a Leinster final and I thought that was always the way it was in Kildare. In fact, it was an aberration - since the early 80s, the story of the Kildare championship is Newbridge domination; between them have won 19 in 35 years. Which probably isn't great for club scene but they you go.

Anyway, to be positive about it, Dempsey and Masterson have huge potential. I also always rated Murnaghan v highly. I assume he was injured or unable to commit otherwise O'Neill would surely have had him in.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:38 pm

I thought Kevin Flynn from Celbridge might deserve a trial after his performances all year
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   

Back to top Go down

Club Championship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 24 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next