Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Club Championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Flynn was one Celbridge player who had a go against Moores. A bit slight perhaps but might be worth a run in OBC. Maybe we should just bring in the Moorefield defence en-masse. Dempsey certainly seems promising - says a lot that his management trusted him to go on Brophy and he certainly didn't let them down.

Murnaghan is 32 now. Good and all as he was Sunday that might be pushing it given the demands of inter-county. Was no more than average at inter-co (some might argue he'd fit in nicely then).

Would like to see Masterson called up. Thought he was very slow at minor but was impressed with him the last two games particularly with his two more senior colleagues around the middle doing their he-man act. Kept his head and showed true leadership.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Well done to moorefield. Deserved to hold out due to their better team performance. They were cynical killing the game in the 2nd half but the ref and linemen let them away with murder imo.

Maybe I am being harsh here but it does not say much for Kildare football. 13 men win. Team with 5 county players play poorly. Moorefield are a fit well drilled side but lets not beat around the bush here.
They will find the going a lot harder in Leinster.

On a side note am I harsh in saying that Flynn is an idiot. A good football in his day but never got the most out of him. Was injured a bit to be fair to him. But how many times has he been sent off. He totally lacks any discipline.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 pm

People have hammered me on here for saying the Kildare club championship is not elite in national terms, but having watched Dublin games on Eir, and seeing the likes of Ballymun and Vincent's, I honestly couldn't see Moorefield beating them - they both have far too much quality.

And tbh, I can't even see them winning the first round - as Botch says, a supremely organised well-drilled team but particularly upfront, they are a LONG way short of the top club teams in the country.
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Congratulations Moorefield. Incredible performance to hold out for so long with 13 - I don't think I've seen anything like that before.
Not only did they hold out they pulled away for much of that time and built up a lead. It was only c.10mins in the second half that Celbridge got some momentum.

It was a physical game from the start. I've a big issue with the refereeing. It was similar for All-Ireland final. It's like the refs are told to let the game flow in big matches. But the issue on Sunday in first 25mins was the ref kept playing advantage for blatant fouls and not going back to issue cards. This encouraged the game to boil over. If there is a foul in the middle of the pitch - there is no advantage to be had. It should just be a free straight away and cut out the niggly stuff. Thought he was very poor on a few occasions - especially when ball was caught up in a big group and he was slow to blow for a free either way. That just creates rows and allows for bad hits. GAA should really look at this - there is only one set of rules - this rubbish of letting games flow just cos it's a big game needs to be looked at. Rant over!

Anyway, Moorefield have gone through Sars, Athy, Celbridge so nobody can say they don't deserve the win this year. They've improved massively from earlier in the year. Management deserve massive credit for making big changes this year. Alot of more experienced players dropped off the team this year and a bunch of the successful minors from two years ago have come in. However, they've kept many of the experienced lads around as mentors etc. which has been good.
I don't think there is any point talking about bad sportsmanship etc. that's just wasted a few seconds here an there, Celbridge didn't kick their points and played into Moorefield's hands with their constant slow build up. They had lots of players who are capable of breaking through lines of defence like Lyons, Conway, McGrillen, Brophy. They just didn't do it.
Comes down to Moorefield playing with a higher intensity than other teams and players giving it there all.
Back to top Go down
Kildaretothebone
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 am

Thought Kevin Flynn was very good, the young lads on the Celbridge team like Tony Archbold who has 2 Leinster minor medals and John Costello were very quiet, but both have promising futures ahead of them both as do Aaron Masterson and Mark Dempsey were very impressive on Sunday
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 am

Yeah - Archbold still very young but he definitely has the stuff. Tough tackling and tenacious, exactly the kind of player we need.

What's the story with Flynn - hadn't heard of the chap previously. Any experience around Kildare panels at underage etc...
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Was no more than average at inter-co (some might argue he'd fit in nicely then).

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 am

Well done to Moorefield we played them in the league semi and was impressed wit them that day and taught they would be hard beat in the championship.
99% of the blame will have to go on the Celbridge management after Moorefield had the two boys sent off I think its a big problem with a lot of club managers when its comes to make the big decision they haven't a clue with tactics pattern of play etc its goes to show with Moorefield having Jack o Connor on the side line the way they changed there team around to win so fair play to Moorefield. Also who ever was giving out about lads kicking the ball in from the side line would i like my club to do it to win you better believe it as someone said to me they had the Balls to do it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tjmm
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:18 am

Just to come back on an earlier comment regarding Daryl Flynn. His game has always been about playing it hard consistently, and on the edge at times. On his day he was a match for any midfielder in the country. Yes he has gone over the edge on occasion in the past but every team needs an edge to it and in my opinion apart from EDoyle there is a serious lack of what Daryl brings to a team, lacking with the county team at the minute. I'd have 2-3 Daryl Flynn's in his prime on the Kildare team any day. He has been held back by injuries over the years but has consistently bounced back to regain a high level of fitness time and again. When you go into a battle, he'd be the first man you'd want there beside you. What he brings to the rest of the Moorefield team, you could see it in spades there Sunday, even with him off the field for 40 mins. His role as captain this year has instilled an extra determination from the entire squad. This was clear to see on Sunday.

How ironic was it that the 2 red carded gentlemen lifted the cup in the end !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 am

Was Padraig ''Podge' O'Flynn on the panel, he appeared to be togged out anyway. If so he will also collect his 8th S.F.C. medal.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:55 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Was Padraig ''Podge' O'Flynn on the panel, he appeared to be togged out anyway.  If so he will also collect his 8th S.F.C. medal.
podge as on Panel last Sunday so Podge and roli have 8 senior championship each
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 am

[quote="steviegenius"]

99% of the blame will have to go on the Celbridge management after Moorefield had the two boys sent off I think its a big problem with a lot of club managers when its comes to make the big decision they haven't a clue with tactics pattern of play etc its goes to show with Moorefield having Jack o Connor on the side line the way they changed there team around to win so fair play to Moorefield.
[/quote]

Outside of Moorefield the happiest fellas in Kildare this week are the Athy management of 2015. There sideline shortcomings on county final day look like minor errors of judgement now in comparison to Celbridges efforts.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 pm

There seemed to be a bit of a standoff after the match.. Is there a rule regarding the Captain excepting the Cup if he's sent off ?.. and of course Sunday saw the Captain and Vice Captain sent off.. anyone know ?.
Back to top Go down
archie
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Happened at my home club a number of years ago. Captain was sent off and was being prevented from accepting the cup.(With a straight red are you suspended from all GAA activity straight away ???)
However after a short 'discussion' , he was allowed to receive the cup.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm

There was definitely some issue anyway.

Hope they sort out the sound system in Conleths before the League commences as it's an absolute joke.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 am

County Board were not letting either Daryl or Dave up to collect the cup (Captain and Vice Captain). A pure nonsense. How much service did Daryl give the county again and to the detriment of his club at times. It was a case of , if the lads can't go up then no-one is going up!!! Felt bad for the Celbridge lads hanging on through all that farce. Fair play to them for sticking around.

GAA nonsense at its finest.

The PA system was a bloody emabarrasement also not just for the presentation and speeches but the honouring of the 1992 Clane team at half time also.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 am

Is it covered by a rule?
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:13 am

After-match Presentation
(h) A player who stands suspended as a consequence of
being ordered off during a Final, shall not participate
in the After Match Presentation Ceremony.
Penalty: An additional One Match Suspension in the
same Competition in the following year’s competition,
or, as provided for in Rule 7.2(b), Alternative Penalty
to non-applicable Match Suspensions.

From the Official Guide 2017
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:27 am

I done think you can say Flynn plays on the edge. He blatantly goes over it a lot. That's why he got sent off a lot. Hard players like Glen Ryan among others played on the edge but they were good enough players not to go over it and just play hard and fair. Not hard and reckless as Flynn has done a lot. Still like Flynn as a player. Pity about the injuries.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:28 am

I would prefer that we get the new development up and running and get a good PA system in there than waste money fixing whats at conleths.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 am

All down the line wrote:
After-match Presentation
(h) A player who stands suspended as a consequence of
being ordered off during a Final, shall not participate
in the After Match Presentation Ceremony.
Penalty: An additional One Match Suspension in the
same Competition in the following year’s competition,
or, as provided for in Rule 7.2(b), Alternative Penalty
to non-applicable Match Suspensions.

From the Official Guide 2017

Those this means that Flynn and Whyte are not suspended for the Leinster club games.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 am

As things stand both are suspended for the 1st round of the Leinster club, from the above rule it reads they could be subject to a second match ban if the rules are applied to the letter (they won't be!)
Back to top Go down
PMA
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am

I think they are suspended from the kildare sfc next year "same competition" they were not sent off in a Leinster competition which is a different championship altogether the way i see it. ???? i could be wrong of course.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 am

They are now considered the same competition after a case involving Mark Vaughan around 2004. He was sent off against Portlaoise in a Leinster club game and successfully argued that they were different competitions (the Dub Championship and Leinster) so he would not have to serve any suspension until the next time kilmacud played in the Leinster championship, it happened to be the following year. That loop hole was closed later that year to stop events like that recurring.

In the above case it is obviously ridiculous to treat them as separate comps as the player may never serve any suspension in that case as he has no guarantee of ever playing in the provincial championship after the sending off.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 am

I think Conor Teirnan was sent off in the county final a few years ago and couldn't play in Leinster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   

Back to top Go down

Club Championship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 25 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next