Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Club Championship

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Good to see everyone is keeping this game in perspective and not having wild knee-jerk reactions.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Moorefield were simply shown up on the day. They have had an amazing year and it's such a shame they ended it with one bad day.
Their shooting was dire at times. The tactic of kicking into Hurley Lynch when he was being destroyed in the air. Roli's influence was curtailed.
The defence didn't burst out as much as in previous days. They were split open twice for goal chances with only the second one being taken.
As I said one shite day doesn't mean you can write off their entire year, or begin to question their manhood.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:49 am

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:
Missed the match yesterday and just watched it on the player. Despite what some people say, this was woeful stuff from both sides. Woeful refereeing; woeful diving (if anyone had done that against us we'd be up in arms); a woefully inept performance on and off the pitch. If a fourteen man team that kicks seven scores in an hour can't be beaten by even an average team then God help us. And if yesterday's display is the level of Kildare champions then Cian O Neill has performed a first class miracle in getting Kildare to Division 1. The fact is that Corofin are also a club team - and if, as some people argue, Moorefield are not at their level then, surely, that underlines the dearth of talent in the county and the continuing lack of ability to make the most of opportunities when they are offered. I believe everyone on here would love to have seen Moorefield progress but that doesn't mask the fact that they had every opportunity yesterday.
On a more general point - the day was a reasonable one and yet as a spectacle this was horrendous.

If I didn't know any different, I'd think you were a Tommy Keegan second account, the similarity is striking??, could be wrong but worth at least a second thought?
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 pm

No I'm not a Tommy Keegan second account - have been a member here since old God's time. My own club wouldn't be Athy - for sure!!!!!! I was making the point really (when I think about it) that we were all hoping for better things and had our hopes pinned on a good show from Moorefield (and no I'm not a Newbridge person either Smile ) I've been following Kildare since the late fifties and though I still get to the county matches I can't remember a time, other than the late nineties, when I had real hope or optimism about our actually being in the final shakeup come September. So perhaps, like others, that frustration boils over from time to time. We all live to see Kildare (county and club) do well in every code of the GAA and days like Sunday make the blood either boil or drain from the veins..... here endeth today's lesson!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Sad to see some of the reactions here bordering on the insane. Take a bow Tommy. Disappointed in you. Someone made a great point above...have you ever actually played the game? Calling a triple winning club to include a provincial title a bunch of losers is Dunphy-esque. Congrats in that regard!!!

Corofin 5 times recent Galway champions, 3 times recent Connacht champions and All-Ireland champions 2 years ago. Some experience lads and it showed in bucketfulls in the game. Savage game management and cool heads all round. Best of luck to them.

I think this was our poorest display for a while and I think the sending off and defensive setup employed by Corofin caused us serious problems. We really struggled to break it down. Players who had been prominent in most games up to know couldn't get the better of their opponents. NO shame in that. Corofin were simply a better team on the day. I am just gutted for the players that as a team they didn't play as well as they could and in that regard an opportunity was lost. One kick of the ball at the end of the game decided it despite all that went on before it.

Great season and a great year which sadly ended in disappointment. Remember this was the team that were fourth favourites for the county in the semi final stage. Sum of the parts and all that.

Who knows..maybe the experience gained last Saturday will come back again some day in the future and make the vital difference.

Plenty of pride can be taken from the fact they will be Leinster and County champions until next October at least.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:18 am

A) Yes I have for years in Kildare and Dublin. B) Why does it matter, that attitude of play-the-game drives me nuts? For instance if you never acted can you give an opinion on a film, if never in a band can you critique music, if never in politics should you vote? That's the logic.

All Ireland final place was there for taking - and thanks to a dive we'd go through a fella for had it happened against Kildare - but sure who cares? Never mind the negative tactics with an extra man, the turning back towards our own goal at every chance when possession won in the middle giving attacking platform, the dire shooting, the awful full-forward line, and the fact game still there for taking in closing ten only to be handed back against all momentum.

Let's ignore all that as we can resort to what Moorefield did on other days in the past, and what Corofin did on other days when they played superbly as opposed to being really average at the weekend. A winning attitude that alright.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 am

Moorefield, like Mayo, are short of the quality you need upfront to win an All Ireland. Ergo, like Mayo, they did not win the All Ireland.

Spoiler alert: also why Mayo won't win again this year. Sorry Mayo fans!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 am

The attempt to diminish their Leinster title is some sick shite. Keep it to yourself lads!!
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 am

Moorefield came up short on Saturday in a game they could have won but obviously didn't.  They have shown tremendous resilience, fitness and ability to get as far as they did. They won at least 4 games that they could or should have lost due in large amounts to their spirit and never say die attitude. Corofin scored a tremendous goal to win the game at a stage when moorefield looked the more likely to win and still they came back and had half a chance to snatch a draw. Pressure, expectations and quality of the opposition are all factors as to how a team performs along with their own ability. I'm sure they're hurting about losing but all in all they can have few regrets, they left it all on the pitch during the campaign.

Last edited by lillyboy on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 am

Stop taking a nuanced view they're failures!!
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:45 am

HG - you do know you can make several points in one message rather than posting a new message each time Very Happy (That is a joke, lest that kicks something off) .
On a more serious note, are we not looking at a match that was there for the taking yet wasn't taken - is that not the nub of the debate. Yes, Corofin have a wonderful record but the point is they DIDN'T show that quality on Saturday and Moorefield's inability or unwillingness to go for it was the frustrating part.
Sam1928 when you say: " I think the sending off and defensive setup employed by Corofin caused us serious problems" I think you inadvertently hit on a point of frustration - surely the sending off should have been a bonus to Moorefield NOT a serious problem.
Anyway...that's my tuppence worth
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 am

I'm struggling to make sense of your reply there Tommy. You have gone full Dunphy now but I will try and disseminate it and retort.

1. You say why does it matter whether you played the game or not to give an opinion.
- to that I say anybody that has played the game to a good standard and put in the commitment that those lads did wouldn't post the nasty stuff that you did about fellow players knowing how they must be feeling after such a defeat. To call them losers is disgusting. You could have made your point without the nastiness. All opinions valid including negative but the tone and delivery needs looking at.

2. The "dive".. I was there and had no benefit of a replay. I have not watched the game back. I believe it was a harsh red from listening to others but his foot hit him in the chest?.. I dunno...spur of the moment reaction..high pressure. I'm not condoning it if it was a faked injury. Obviously conning the ref has no place in sport yet I read here on Monday mornings how Kildare have been victims of the dark arts and that we need to be cuter and employ them in order to win tight games e.g. Monaghan and Tyrone. Can't have it everyway.

3. "Negative tactics and turning back to goal" - Dunno if you were present in O'Connor Park. If you were surely you could have appreciated that the wall Corofin put up was impressive and would possibly have kept the whitewalkers at bay in Game of Thrones. Moorefield could not break it down. They retained possession looking for a way through. We just couldn't manage it. Fair play Corofin. They beat us fair and square there. To call it negative tactics is wrong. Maybe the wrong tactics???..who knows if lumping it into Roly in full forward would have worked. Fitzgearld was having a great day at full back. He may have cleaned those up too.

4. "Awful full forward line" - harsh. some of the balls going in were unsuitable for the lads in there. Again Fitzgearld cool calm and collected and gave a great display. The problem was the Corofin wall between the full forward line and midfield. You had to go over it. Just wasn't happening.

5. "Ignore all that" - nobody is ignoring anything. Majority of posters except you gave reasoned opinions and acknowledged our failings on the day without the bile you put forward as opinion. I know where we failed too. We underperformed as a collective which has been our main strength all year.

6. "resort to what Moorefield did on other days in the past" - no idea what you are on about here.

7. "winning attitude alright" - sign off with another sly dig. I guarantee you this..Moorefield wouldn't have gotten to where they did without a winning attitude. Tell James Murray he doesn't have a winning attitude after those two tackles near the end and the point he kicked. But you see you wouldn't actually tell someone like him to his face would you!!

Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:59 am

TOM - I agree with you in a sense about the sending off. Yes it is great when the opposition loses a player but their all out defence caught us out I think. We hadn't faced anything as strong as that all year and that is why I think we were caught. We have been playing most of the year on the back foot and as underdogs. It is possible the scenario when it came unhinged us a bit. That's just a view as a supporter.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 am

I absolutely sewed it into Moorefield for their Leinster record here last year but I honestly thought their winning of it was an outstanding achievement. The attempt to denigrate it is ugly stuff and jeering at them as "losers" is just idiotic - although it is quite common these days on Twitter, which as we know is a bastion of elite intellectual debate.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Like most things the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

As Sam points out, Moorefield were 4th favourites for the county championship at semi final stage so to win the county title never mind beating Rathnew , Portlaoise and Lomans on the way to a fine Leinster win is an outstanding achievement. Fantastic.

We can count our Leinster club wins on a Laois mans hand so "any" Leinster win is a significant boost for us as a county.

However, I can kind of see Tommys point although I wouldn't put it in as strong/harsh terms. Its highly frustrating to be nearly men all the time at club and county. How many times do we come out with coulda woulda shoulda excuses. The pedigree to win at the top top level just isn't there and as Kildare supporters (we all want the same thing), sometimes I think we crack up a bit.

The Down 2010, Donegals 2011, the Under 21s v Galway, the volume of narrow county losses and being on the wrong side of "epic" tussles at both club and county just bloody grinds on you sometimes and its that frustration (in my opinion) to lead people to over the top reactions.

That's my two cents anyway. Congrats to the Moores on a great year, they gave it their all against a seasoned club team but its a case of what might have been... I have to say I saw the Paddys day lights flash before my eyes 20 seconds into the game but alas they just couldn't get over the line.

Unfortunately that hope followed by heartbreak is (in the main) reflective of Kildare club and county football in all my years following both.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Good balanced post Highball and a fair reflection of how I’d feel about Moorefield and Kildare football.

Perhaps it’s really the likes of Athy, Celbridge, Sarsfields who should be occupying our thoughts rather than a team who actually won a treble this year.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
A) Yes I have for years in Kildare and Dublin. B) Why does it matter, that attitude of play-the-game drives me nuts? For instance if you never acted can you give an opinion on a film, if never in a band can you critique music, if never in politics should you vote? That's the logic.

All Ireland final place was there for taking - and thanks to a dive we'd go through a fella for had it happened against Kildare - but sure who cares? Never mind the negative tactics with an extra man, the turning back towards our own goal at every chance when possession won in the middle giving attacking platform, the dire shooting, the awful full-forward line, and the fact game still there for taking in closing ten only to be handed back against all momentum.

Let's ignore all that as we can resort to what Moorefield did on other days in the past, and what Corofin did on other days when they played superbly as opposed to being really average at the weekend. A winning attitude that alright.

No body is saying you can't have an opinion it's just that if you had actually played the game you'd understand that mistakes happen for 1 of a thousand reasons.
At the end of the day it was a mistake, a poor hand pass, poor concentration or a tired body was the difference in winning or not winning for Moorefield. It doesn't make them looser's.

I don't like Johnny Depp as an actor, which is just my opinion but it doesn't mean he a bad actor.
I might not like your style of journalism but to say you useless or inapt is just plain wrong. If that makes sense. Opinion is great and that what makes the forum maybe just keep the insults to yourself Tommy. It does nothing for you credibility.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Results dictate perception. At 6 points each late on, and given Moorefield's track record in finishing matches strongly, Ross Glavin looks to have got it spot on. Lose by a goal, when there could have been a free the other way shortly before that, and he got it tactically wrong. Football wise I thought Moorefield were over-matched going into the game and if Moorefield pushed on against 14 men as Tom is suggesting Corofin would have buried them on the counter-attack (remember the damage Ian Burke's pace did against our under 21s in '13). They kept it tight and gave themselves the best chance of winning. I don't blame them for that.

Can we give Liam Healy a break. Those of us not of a Moorefield persuasion would love to have him in our defence. Would love to see him get game-time with the county team as well.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Shergar wrote:
Results dictate perception. At 6 points each late on, and given Moorefield's track record in finishing matches strongly, Ross Glavin looks to have got it spot on. Lose by a goal, when there could have been a free the other way shortly before that, and he got it tactically wrong. Football wise I thought Moorefield were over-matched going into the game and if Moorefield pushed on against 14 men as Tom is suggesting Corofin would have buried them on the counter-attack (remember the damage Ian Burke's pace did against our under 21s in '13). They kept it tight and gave themselves the best chance of winning. I don't blame them for that.

Can we give Liam Healy a break. Those of us not of a Moorefield persuasion would love to have him in our defence. Would love to see him get game-time with the county team as well.
how did Healy not make Panel for Championship last year
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:45 am

first weekend of competitive action, I just read games are at 2.00 and half 3, unfair on the lads involved not being able to watch the rugby, especially the travelling teams
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 am

Why would anyone want to watch the rugby - bunch of private school twats playing a crap sport. It's a pile of shite!!
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Why would anyone want to watch the rugby - bunch of private school twats playing a crap sport. It's a pile of shite!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:39 am

Has no one got a video recorder any more ffs? Watch the rugby - Jesus wept..
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:45 am

There won't be any championships won in Celbridge anytime soon with that attitude. First competitive weekend back and the boys are worried about missing the rugby. Ah lads.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 am

What ever sport it is for Ireland be it Rugby or Soccer I follow my country calling players Twats that represent my country is not on Admin you should have a word there? Club players will play there games no problems but I will say that the games will be low on Supporters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Championship   

Back to top Go down

Club Championship
Page 31 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next