Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Final 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

fone wrote:
Lads go to  RTÉ player  look for  Gaa nua was on tonight cian o neill on it and all technology in training a team

Watched it. Excellent program.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am

bigball wrote:
Im not sure we are giving Roli Sweeney enough credit lads. I think bringing him on board has been every bit as crucial as getting star men back like Brophy, Feely, Flynn. From what i heard he has a massivr input tactically to whats going on.

Fully agree with this. Looks like the standard of coaching is much better this year with a lot of players showing a marked improvement in their performances. A lot of the old problems like poor tackling and giving away silly frees seem to have been addressed and the players seem to have a much clearer idea of what they are doing - both in defence and in attack.

All this points to great work being done on the training ground so huge credit is due to Cian, Roli and Enda.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 am

Roli was hugely respected in the Sligo set up and I know for a fact there was huge disappointment within their squad when he left. We are thankfully reaping the benefits of that.
Absolutely no way will Moolick be dropped, himself and Feely work extremely well together and he had a brilliant game the other night albeit overshadowed by his sidekick. He won't last the 70 though so we can expect changes in that area in the last 20 or so.
Slattery has been great as people have already said and I get the impression there's still more to come. When I first saw him I thought he was a close to goal player but he has certainly put that thought to bed with his performances the last 2 days. He still seems to be a bit shot shy though when in good positions so hopefully he can gain a bit of confidence in himself in that area.
Whilst we arguably have our best forward unit in living memory with many options I would have a slight concern if we were to pick up a couple of injuries in the defence. I don't see us having huge options there but hopefully it's something we won't have to concern ourselves with.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 am

Great point JJ about the defence and I'd include goalkeeper in that. Such a vital role nowadays and we have a complete rookie as back up. In defence we could of course bring back Conway which would be my first option if anyone was injured. After that it looks like Kelly and Bolton are Cian's next choices with 2 or 3 rookies behind them. The current back 6 have elevated their game so much it would be quite a blow to lose any of them.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 am

I read somewhere that Roli does extra tackling drills with them. I think it shows. It was a major issue for years, we would have no idea how to dispossess opponents. We were at our best in 2009-11. Roli must have picked up a thing or two from Grimley and McGeeney.

Peter Kelly looked back to his full speed on Saturday. He came on made a huge change forward, dropped the ball, then proceeded to bullock around knocking lads out of with the ball pinballing around before eventually retrieving possession. I had a good chuckle at that.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 am

It's amazing how far we've come since we got rid of that bluffer McGeeney, he is now destroying his native Armagh. Maybe he should draft in Seanie to pull them out of trouble..
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 am

How was mcgeeney a bluffer? We were inches away from reaching an all ireland final for just the second time in 80 odd years.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

Borderline wrote:
It's amazing how far we've come since we got rid of that bluffer McGeeney, he is now destroying his native Armagh. Maybe he should draft in Seanie to pull them out of trouble..

Still trying to pretend your a Kildare supporter borderline. Should you not be thinking about Clare.
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Was a proud Lily coming out of Tullamore Saturday night ! Amazing to think that about 5 months ago we were beaten by The Dubs 3rd team in the "o'byrne" and we were dreading the thought of going to Navan to face Meath in the league. When Cian took over, my one wish was that he would get time to get to grips with the job. I always had faith that he could get us back to a level where we would be at least competing strongly again with the big boys. That performance on Saturday was the best i've seen from us for a long time....too long actually ! Lets hope we can give the final a right rattle. Given the age profile of the team and how early in development it is, i personally would be happy enough to get within 9 or 10 points of "the dubs". That probably sounds defeatist to some on here but there you have it.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 pm

I'd say under 6 points would be a score line that wouldn't derail the momentum too much. Eager to see whether Dubs have improved at all when they play Westmeath. Might even venture into the Big House of Misery to take a first hand look. 9 or 10 points still seems like quite a whipping and I'm a bit more optimistic than that. Odds of around 5/1 seem about right. Would have been 20/1 probably a month ago.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 pm

You might hope that the Dubs expected to march through Leinster again without much opposition and have targeted late August to peak. Not expecting a half decent Kildare team we may just may give them a little fright.

The Croke Park factor needs to be got over as soon as possible. A decent performance up there might just lift the gloom about the place.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm

For me, progress would be being in with a chance of winning right up to the 65 minute and beyond. Being competitive and not wilting when Dublin have their period of dominance.
This will be close to a full house, with an electric atmosphere that most of our lads won't have experienced before - how they react to it will go a long way to determining the result.
It will be the atmosphere we have craved for years.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Would be in the camp that would change midfield. Moolick's past struggles in Croke Park are one thing but putting Cribbin or even Brophy in the middle would force Fenton to defend them and take the pressure off Feely. Otherwise Fenton will take up sentry duty on Feely and it'll be difficult for him to effect the game.

After 2009 we thought we would benefit from that game and be better placed to beat Dublin in future years. Turned out that was probably as vulnerable as Dublin were in the last 10 years and we should have taken our chance. While theoretically we should be better in the next year or two, can we rely on having Flynn, Cribbin, Kelly, Feely and Doyle all fit and available in the coming years given the injury history of some of those players. Meanwhile some of Dublin's key players over the last 5 years have a lot of mileage on the clock and some of their young stars lack experience at this level. We'll see how it works out.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Just as well we won Saturday or some of us (probably led by me!!) would be complaining about Cian spending too much time worrying about gps trackers and not enough time thinking about tactics while the players shouldn't have been wearing those stupid goggles anyway!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 pm

A year ago I would have feared playing Dublin. Not now. I believe now we are out to get them, whether we will beat them or just fall short remains to be seen.

This Dublin team has been one of the greatest of all times. However they were very fortunate to get a draw against Mayo in the drawn all Ireland and it's debatable other than the all Ireland semi against Kerry if they were challenged in a championship match last year.

The league final against Kerry was a great game and it was a pleasure to get to see it. Obviously it was much more intense than our game against Galway but that's not to say we can't play at that level of intensity. Galway did against Mayo and we upped it against Meath.

Dublin however in that match came up short. Losing Connolly was a real blow and some of their other older players looked stale. Yes they were unfortunate not to get a draw but their aura of invincibility has evaporated.

Had Paul Cribben started last Saturday as expected 13 of the team would have been in the same positions as the opening league match in navan. We are a settled side except for injuries and the welcomed return of paddy brophy.

Dublin do not have a settled side . Other than
Ciaran Kilkenny and Brian Fenton it's guess work
who will make up the rest of the forwards and the second midfielder. Every Dublin supporter will tell you Jim Gavin is a genius and has a plan. Perhaps. But it's not settled and therefore untested.

Teams go flat. Successful teams , winning teams come to an end. Older players can't go back to the well all the time and sometimes only in the intense heat of battle does that really show. Many of Mayo's star names didn't sparkle against Galway. Kilkenny and Tipperary likewise in hurling.. There are signs.

Now we have one problem that we can only hope we will overcome. That's Croke Park itself. Our record is poor and some key men have yet to have good games there. Couple with that it's Dublins home and it's a massive advantage to them. However if a game isn't going well for Dublin it may also become a huge pressure on them.

Every pundit and expert will go for Dublin, sure they are invincible and what's more important they sell newspapers. Many of them went for Meath last Saturday telling us about their DNA and about the McEntees. Were those predictions based on well informed observations? Obviously not .

Doubts are understandable but we have every reason to be confident. Dublin are not unbeatable and we are the underdogs. However this time we have a real chance.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Well said Fizzer. Agree with that.

My main doubt is Croke Park and recent experience. Not sure whether its as big a deal for the players as it is for supporters but by god its a horrible horrible place to be when things aren't going well. Even though there was only 13k there on Saturday (felt like more) much more of a championship feel than 13k lost souls in HQ.

We have lost 11 of the last 13 I think in the place.

However, all of that will be forgotten with a strong performance that leaves us with something to cling to for the rest of the summer.

Going into the Meath game, we were quietly confident that we were the better side and were optimistic that if the lads "showed up" they would win. Well they passed the test, in spades. So the omens are good.

Next test, show up in the leinster final, compete and don't crumble when things go against us. Signs in the league were encouraging (times against cork we needed to rally, after the derry result we rallied etc) so im hopeful that the weakness of capitulating on the main stage is behind us. It comes with maturity.

Then we need to compete for everything. The homework will be done, hopefully we stay injury free and then just leave everything out there. That's all we can hope for. If we do that, the talent we have should see us get close.

It feels like there is something special brewing but after many many many false dawns, we are all well versed in knowing we need to be realistic. A strong performance against Dublin with a narrow defeat (under 7 or 8 point i would think) should see us in good nick for a qualifier run and then who knows. The fear is another hiding leaving us questioning the lot.

I would have said at start of the year that promotion and a leinster final were tough but achievable targets. They have been met and the manner of performance has meant that we have probably surpassed expectations for this year.

No reason why we shouldn't be looking onwards and upwards now. Theres plenty of reason to be optimistic - Really hope the county get behind this group for the rest of the summer whatever happens and the minors aswell

When are tix on general sale, after this week end ?
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

The two key men for Dublin to me are Fenton and Kilkenny. Kerry have blunted Fentons influence in the 2 games this year by man marking him with Jack Barry. I defo wouldn't be asking Feely to do that and I am not sure Moolick has the athleticism for it so I am not sure how we can blunt him. Keith Cribben is the man for me to take Kilkenny allowing Doyle to sit as the sweeper again.

Dublin treat Kildare with utter contempt and will be going all out to kill this momentum we have built or at least we believe we have built up following promotion and two very good championship performances. A good start is of upmost importance in this one as a team can find itself behind the 8 ball very quickly if Dublin get on top of them.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 am

Alot of pundits seem to agree that we are more than capable of giving the dubs a good rattle!
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 am

a bit negative lads. I d be gutted if we are not within 1 score of them after 70 minutes at worst .

physically and ability wise I think the gap has closed big time , it's all mental after that.
hope the lads concentrate on themselves over the next month and don't get carried away with over analysis on the opposition.
Maybe in a months time Grange GFC might even ask one of our lads to cut the ribbon on there development.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 am

The one thing we could hope is that Gavin is hoping to have them peaking later in the year. But, more than likely they won't be going easy at all.
I will be curious to see if they blow away Westmeath...
I think there is so much competition for places that the lads inside will be putting all their efforts into getting in the starting XV.
On the outside the fans can enjoy the build-up and hopefully convince as many friends and family to come along on July 16th.
As noted our fitness and speed seems to have come on a lot and the hard ground suits us a lot more than in previous years.
It would be very harsh on Moolick, but he has to manage his own game to sit in and not be caught running back towards our own goals.
Anyone calling for McNally to be dropped is doing so on the basis that he is Cathal McNally and not a preferred name.
Up front we have so many more options, but as noted Conway could easily drop back if anything happened.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 am

As one who could see an argument for McNally to drop out (on balance I wouldn't do it to be clear) my argument would be based on watching him for quite a few years not because he's not a "name". He's as much a name as Neil Flynn in my mind. I'm blown away by McNally's form but my fear is it's just a hot streak and he won't get the same space against Dublin. I wish people wouldn't make assumptions as to why people think a certain way. There's some pretty intelligent people on here by and large. It's not Hoganstand.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am

Fair enough but the lad often doesnt get the credit he deserves. Maybe I am over defensive...
Admin feel free to ban me for life if I descend into Hogan Stand territory!
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:46 am

Truth is McNally hasn't looked like a county player for large parts of his time with Kildare. He has a lot of pace and a big engine on him but his scoring rate has let him down up until now. He tended to drift in and out of games for large parts and dare I say it, he was a little lazy at times. This year, though, he has been a revelation. He looks a lot more assured and confident in his shooting and long may it continue.

I'd start him ahead of Neil Flynn, we're not depending on him to take frees now that Feely is around.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 pm

I think we should start with McNally and Slattery, with Cribbin and Flynn huge options off the bench ... you have to be consistent and reward lads for playing well
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:46 am

Jaysus. I was only listening to it on radio so I heard the Dubs were awesome and played exhibition stuff.
Hearing that WH never left a glove on them and that their fitness was awful.
So that being the case we would hope that we can stay with them for the 70 mins in terms of running. Our keeper won't keep hitting it down Fenton's throat.
Our defence is better and our transition has already been worked on and we have our settled team with a set style that can be tweaked as opposed to changing it up for one team.

I know we all say how well prepped the Dubs are and how fit they are BUT they also burst their holes and work. Fitness levels should be good but the Dubs actually put in a shift even if they are not playing well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Final 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next