Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Final 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:01 pm

jj wrote:
Really like the quiet way our players and management have gone about things in lead up to this. No silly soundbites or promises being made and they've put zero pressure on themselves.  Really believe if we can have the heads right and play to their undoubted potential that we can give this a good shot. We've been given a free shot let's take it

Agree completely. Mature build up from them all. The place to the real talking is on the pitch.

Good article in the Irish Times this morning on our returning Wild Geese - Brophy, Feely, Cribben and Flynn - all very positive. (Can't find an online link to it at the moment - will post it later if it appears)
Back to top Go down
Captain1928
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 am

Dublin team named. Cooper dropped as predicted above. O'Gara starts, hopefully he suffers a similar fate to the 2011 Semi Final Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 am

Captain1928 wrote:
Dublin team named. Cooper dropped as predicted above. O'Gara starts, hopefully he suffers a similar fate to the 2011 Semi Final Very Happy Very Happy
you believe that 15 will start
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44 am

We appear to be in a pretty good place for the first time in a long time heading into a big Croke Park game. It's still hard to get hopeful given our recent experiences there. Crash into them and leave a few dents. Don't take a backward step and keep trying until the end. If we get that honesty of effort for 70 minutes I don't think we will be that far away.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:58 am

kickingking wrote:
We appear to be in a pretty good place for the first time in a long time heading into a big Croke Park game. It's still hard to get hopeful given our recent experiences there. Crash into them and leave a few dents. Don't take a backward step and keep trying until the end. If we get that honesty of effort for 70 minutes I don't think we will be that far away.

Very similar to Meath game in that the game will set the tone for when we meet them again in the coming years. If we can't win at least let them know we're coming
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 am

My feeling its that O'Gara will start. He gives a different dimension to Dubs' attack and I think they want to (rightly) test out the physicality of our full back line. Would delegate Hyland – O'Gara is a bull, no easy task, but this is the elite level now. Definitely think Hyland is able for him tho.

Anyway... have really enjoyed the build-up. I think we can all agree it's better being in Leinster finals than not being in Leinster finals. Hopefully the first of several more to come over the next few years.

Best of luck boys. Get stuck and don't let up for 80 mins. Concentration, application, resolve – and a bit of traditional Kildare flair to go with it.

Cill Dara Abu.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 am

Their MF and half back line is pure class in fairness, but if that team starts as is I would fancy our lads troubling Fitzsimons and co. Cooper and Philly have an edge that those lads dont have and are stronger men too.
I would hope that in turn O'Sullivan is looking over his shoulder more. Again if the Dubs start as named then we could cause them serious problems inside.
Aside from that lads like P Andrews, O'Callaghan and Mannion can be class when they get going so they need to be shut down and sickened early.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:02 am

That Dublin 15 has to give cause for some optimism. Individually, all the dubs are excellent but some are in positions that they are unused too.

Also, this Dublin 2017 version has not been tested. They are a team in transition in some ways. Of course their transition is from great proven experienced player to great (somewhat) unproven player with a little bit less experience. They are still formidable but maybe not as daunting as last year.

With all my straw clutching, it is important to also state that our team is less experienced and probably has less quality.

In some ways the pressure is off tomorrow due to being overwhelming 2nd favourites but if this team wants to develop into the side we think it can become, tomorrow is more vital. A contradiction I know but a real state of affairs.

To do well tomorrow our ground game must be top notch. Our tacking must be at it's best. Our transition from attack to defence and vice versa must be on point. Our accuracy in front of goal must be rootless and most importantly, our protection of the ball while in possession has to be better than it has ever been.

Get all of them right and we have a chance, get some of them wrong and we're in trouble. Fail at them all and we're back to square one.

I have faith in these boys. I believe they will give us something to cheer about this year and I believe we could be on the cusp of a team who can deliver silverware in the coming years.

Oh to, oh to be, oh to be a LILY!!!!
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:43 am

we have come a long way since lads were worried about laois 6 weeks ago.
As murof mentioned a few weeks ago we have a lack of quality on the bench in the backs but I think the workrate of the middle 8 might just save us from having to make changes defensively bar one of our fullback line is in trouble which I can't see happening.
I think the Dublin reign is coming to an end , might not be tomorrow but it is coming .
if we are level after 50 minutes I can see us sneaking it .
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:46 am

Dublin won't start as named. They'll throw in McMahon and McManamon I'd imagine to try to intimidate us with household names shortly before the start. I could be wrong but I'd be very surprised if that's the Dublin line out.

If it is.. then I agree it gives a bit more cause for optimism. I'd put Mick O'Grady on O'Gara rather than Hyland. Think Mick is a stronger full back.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:11 am

Interesting Dublin team, if O'Gara starts then Gavin suspects our full back line will struggle physically. The downside for him is Hyland will run all day will O'Gara chase him up field. I'm with 365 here, don't think that Dublin team will start.

If it does it's imperative we get ball into Flynn and Brophy as quickly as possible to try and do some damage and make them just think about what's going on.

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow. The County eventually seems to have woken up to the fact a Leinster final is happening. Even my home town of Naas has pulled the finger out and there are white flags appearing all over.
Whatever happens, give em hell for as long as you can. Let them know what's hopefully coming over the next five years. Leave your mark.

Cill Dara Abu, up the lilies.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:14 am

Can see there being some Dublin changes before throw in, can see either McCauley/McMahon replacing Scully if McCauley he will go to midfield with Kilkenny going to half forward line, if McMahon comes in, Daly or Lowndes will go to half back line with McCarthy to midfield.

Dubs have picked three physically big players in their full forward, they obviously think we have a weakness there, up to Hyland, O Grady and Lyons to prove Gavin wrong.

This is a shot to nothing for Kildare really, if we are competitive, it is a huge win and a major step in the right direction and will see us stop being a figure of ridicule by Dublin. If we get thrashed well then it is to what will possibly go down as one of the greatest teams ever.

Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:17 am

Regardless of who Dublin start it will mean nothing if we are not ready mentally. As young as we are it's time we put down a marker, we have too many good players not to.
The ultimate is to win but a good performance that ends in defeat is not calamitous. We'd have either Armagh or Monaghan to book a 1/4 place and coupled with promotion I think most sane Kildare fans would have taken that at the outset of the year.
I do get a sense from speaking to knowledgeable Dublin fans that they are cagey though. Wouldn't it be just fantastic to put them on their ass. C'mon the lillies
Back to top Go down
Sir Gazelle
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm

The one surprising switch on the Dublin team that I think will apply is Ciaran Kilkenny to midfield. Gavin would have seen how successfuly Graham Reilly was tied up in the Meath game, not withstanding that Ciaran Kilkenny is ahead of Reilly when it gets tough he doesn't bow out so much but Gavin probably sees a plan was hatched for Kilkenny. I can see merit in this move for the following reasons.
1. Pull Moolick away from midfield for the kickout with Cluxton dropping the ball into a pocket for Kilkenny to run to especially as they suspect Kildare will push up on kickouts and potentially forcing Cluxton to go long.
2. By releasing Kilkenny from the forwards Kildare can't assign a man marker defender (like Hyland on Reilly in the Meath game) on Kilkenny and thus a midfielder probably Moolick will mark him and they think he will burn our midfield and run with pace from deep through our defence.
3. Normally we would have the luxury of dropping back a half forward to cover but with McCaffery and Mc Carthy to mind we don't have much option.
4. Gavin obviously thinks there is an opportunity to cut through (even more than they normally do) the Kildare defence with their excellent pace and power from half back and midfield with another strong runner.
Regardless of the above hopefully we can reduce the effectiveness of the deep runners with good positional sense and disciplined tacking. It's good to have them think. Of course as we all know winning kickout s is key Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Kildare 2-12 Dublin 1-14. Today is the day.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Time to make their own history...

https://youtu.be/qx1ElHWdmKA

https://youtu.be/mwofNYVaZNI

https://youtu.be/-fIGniorsgo

https://youtu.be/jY3ucJ3ZkVo
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 pm

D-Day has arrived. Hope every player in white does himself justice and gives his all. That's all we can ask for as supporters and hopefully that's enough to bring home our first Leinster title in 17 years. Genuinely think we can do it, we'll need a bit of luck and maybe some favourable refereeing decisions but we're due both. Cill Dara Abu!
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Up the Lillies.... Cill Dara Abu...... Good Luck to the panel and backroom team today.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Come on the Boys in White.. let's wreck this 7 in a row.. 17 year's is far to long a wait.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Best of luck to the boys today. Show the country how good ye are!
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Best of luck to the lads today. Give it everything for the whole match and have no regrets.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 pm

If Kilkenny does go to midfield (he plays around there anyway) if I were O'Neill I would keep whatever defender was earmarked on him. Probably Cribbin. Keith has played around midfield before. If not Keith then Conway perhaps. I don't think that Dublin team will start though and I also don't think that's the Kildare team that will start. So all bets may be off.
F^ck it I hate the waiting. Warm and close day in Dublin lads. Not as hot or as windy as yesterday so far. Might be some showers. Anyway that's the weather forecast. Lets give this shower a right old rattle.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 pm

We have a better spine to the team now than we last had since the Micko years. If they perform we can compete. At least let them know we are are coming for them every year from now on and getting better.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm

jimmers wrote:
jj wrote:
Really like the quiet way our players and management have gone about things in lead up to this. No silly soundbites or promises being made and they've put zero pressure on themselves.  Really believe if we can have the heads right and play to their undoubted potential that we can give this a good shot. We've been given a free shot let's take it

Agree completely. Mature build up from them all. The place to the real talking is on the pitch.

Good article in the Irish Times this morning on our returning Wild Geese - Brophy, Feely, Cribben and Flynn - all very positive. (Can't find an online link to it at the moment - will post it later if it appears)

as promised

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/kildare-s-wild-geese-return-for-a-gander-at-a-leinster-title-1.3155013
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:42 pm

It's been a long wait - 4 weeks since Tullamore, 8 years since our last Final and 17 years since our last Leinster Title.

Just give it a real rattle and leave nothing on the pitch.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Final 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next