Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Final 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:02 am

Ben McCormack wearing 26 .niall flynn not among subs
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 am

Heard he done his hammer tue again. Far worse news spreading around croke park
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 am

smokey wrote:
Heard he done his hammer tue again. Far worse news spreading around croke park

Eoin Doyle?
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 am

Hearing Doyle plays
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 am

Kevin Feely ok for next game?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 am

I thought Feely was one black card away from a one game ban? Hope I'm wrong. I thought he was excellent today. Eoin Doyle just said on KFM that he has to go for an operation on a broken thumb tomorrow - I presume that rules him out for a game in 2 weeks?

Disappointed with today. Although we scored 1-17 and caused them problems we were way too open at the back and it was just too easy for Dublin at the start of the 2nd half. Hopefully the players can regroup for the qualifier game against Monaghan or Armagh in 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 am

I see on the Twitter machine he is suspended. That is a massive loss.
Strange that one, because we came out on the wrong side of all the big moments. Twp goals against us and then a missed chance.
When they scored the goals I really feared but in fairness the lads got going again, albeit the Dubs had some wild shots.
It´s hard to call out poor performances without acknowledging that they were up against a better team who just shut lads down. It´s not a case of lads like Flynn and Brophy not really getting going, it is very much them being shut down.That being said I don´t think we lay down or stopped trying at any stage.
They just have so much for them, Brogan coming on and then O´Callaghan hits 12 and wins his first Leinster.
All that being said the two goals were not amazing moves, more just a lack of tracking the runner. Also Flynn could have made it a three point game.
That being said you felt the Dubs would have pulled away at some stage no matter.

I do wish we tried more aerial balls into Flynn or Brophy when they were moving inside. I think we can easily go again.
Donnellan´s kickouts were good and Feely was immense. Slattery and Keith Cribbin made some serious hard yards too.
Looking at the team pen pics prior to the match you see how young we are, and for those lads to get a real experience of Dublin where they can point to key moments as opposed to a total collapse is very important.
Nine points were the two goals and the missed chance. That should be our starting point. We can build from there.
I am not delusional here either in thinking the Dubs were far far superior but that is what the lads could take away.
Last year we lost a Div 3 Final to Clare...it has been a serious rate of improvement but that learning curve was too steep today. Stay up in Div 1 next year and then the Dubs could have a rival going forward.

Last edited by Flamingo on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 am

Kildare played well. This was a huge jump up in class of opposition and we acquitted ourselves well. Particularly in first half apart from the 2 goals.Would have taken 2.23 to 1.17 defeat before the game. Nobody has scored more against the Dubs in 4 years. Physically we were right there with them and this was our lads first shot at them. A year in Division 1 will be of huge benefit to this team. If Doyle is out, Fermanagh Conway comes in at 6 and Paul Cribbin replaces him at 10. Losing Feely would be a disaster as Monaghan strong around middle. Not to mention free kicks and general play.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 am

I'm onboard with you Lily... Whether we like it or not - and we don't - this current Dublin team are exceptional. Some extraordinary stats from today: first time they've failed to win a Leinster game by double digits in four years.

We scored 1-17 - the highest total Dublin have ever conceded in a Leinster final. Also would have won 80 percent of all Leinster finals ever played. And still none of it was enough!

Bit disappointed by some aspects - particularly the two goals. Also, if Flynn had buried that chance I think we could have severely pushed them. Probably not have won it but still enough to have the Hill on edge. I really thought our inexperience showed after that: some bad passes, going for goals, bad wides etc.

But I'm going to do something deeply unfashionable and keep it in perspective. This team started out in Div 3 18 months ago. We showed serious backbone after the two early goals and didn't disintegrate like every other Leinster team would have. We regrouped and played like we had a pair. Dubs fans near me had the unique experience of being concerned at halftime in a Leinster final.

We need to maintain the momentum though. If we can stay in Division 1 over the next few years and keep up the stellar underage work, we're going places.

Some exceptional performances - particularly Feely, Slattery (I have never in my life been more wrong about a footballer than Slattery), K Cribbin and Flynn, who miss aside delivered an absolutely sensational first half point, showed real leadership.

Let's regroup and go again for qualifier - and make sure we paste Meath on Tuesday night as well.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 am

Anyone under the delusion that this is just a special Dublin team that will eventually pass on to a less special team should have it thoroughly dismissed after seeing con ocallaghans performance today. The youngest player on the field was also the best.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 am

O'Callaghan a superb player. U21 team he was on didn't exactly batter Kildare though. Edged us after extra time in Leinster final last year.
Back to top Go down
Captain1928
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 am

Disappointing result today, if we took our chances it could have been a lot closer.
Promising stuff though all the same, especially looking at some of the stats above. We've come a long
way from our last two championship meetings with the Dubs, albeit with a very different team.
Would fancy our chances against Monaghan or Armagh given our performances so far this year.
This team has a Leinster Title in them in the coming years.

Any update on Neil Flynn? Is he expected to be out for long?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am

Yeah - anyone know anything about Flynn? Jesus you'd be tearing yr hair out over Feely missing next game. Cribbin to midfield possibly?

Just another thing as well: I was listening to KFM afterwards and Johnny Doyle made a good point about Niall Kelly. He needs to start pushing himself harder in big games. We only hold him to a higher level because he has so much ability.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 am

Very mixed emotions here, we proved no one wrong unfortunately at the end of they've day. Bookies had us 9 points worse off and that's where we ended. In a weird way I would have preferred had we kept them level for 60 minutes and conceded 3 late goals I'm not sure if I would feel better or worse.

The game was effectively finished by the 15th minute second goal to be fair. I know we finished the Half strongly and had Dan flynn converted the goal chance we were within 3 but dubs could have pushed on again I think. They are a phenomenal outfit , they don't turn over possesion , don the seem to make any mistakes or very few and then have a bench they can double down with.

In saying all of that we have plenty of positives to take from the game , slattery was my mom for Kildare along with feely. Unfortunately to beat them we are gonna need some luck and for everywhere to play out of their skin. Some of our big name player just didn't have great games.

It's prettt much an as expected result but I had hoped it would have been closer for longer .. nothing to fear from the qualifiers lads , think we can regroup and still cAuse problems.

Well done to the panel and management for the efforts today.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 am

Strange game, scoring 1-17 and never really threatening them. Two pivotal moments, The three minute spell where we conceded the softest goals you are likely to see and Dan Flynns missed goal. On such things games are decided. Now I'm not saying we would have won but it may have just made things interesting. Dublin are just too good, there is no doubt, but this is our first year back in a Leinster final with this squad. They will not reach their peak for five years yet.

On the match, full back line were in trouble all day. the two goals were just a hand pass over the top to a runner. Brogan came on and took Olllie to the cleaners I'm afraid. Dublin players had just too much time to take their shots, that extra half a second is huge at this level.
Can't understand how Doyle could play and then need surgery this week. Obviously not fit. Midfield was decent but only because Feely was on top of his game. Moolick as thought struggled with the pace.

Forwards did ok, Flynn mixed the sublime with the ridiculous, Brophy was never utilised enough. I though we should have been hitting them as soon as possible but it seemed we wanted to run down the middle. Slattery never gave up and did his best. Kelly had another off day, starting to be a problem there now.

All in all I would be disappointed. Showed to much respect again at times and were naive in the extreme at crucial times. In saying that I think on that performance we would have beaten 28 out 32 Counties so I in no way fear Monaghan or Armagh.

Feely's black card suspension is ridiculous if true. It seems it dates back to last years league as I can't recall him getting black cards this year. How can a player be suspended in a different year in a different competition . Anyone got the rules there.

Last edited by Rex on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Highball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 am

Ha that post looks like I've had a rake of pints .. bloody typing on the phone is a night mare. Ye get the gist of it though
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 am

Kelly choked. very disappointed with him.
decent preformance though. 10 scores each at ht . unfortunately they had 2 goals .
some big positives though
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 am

Rex wrote:

Feely's black card suspension is ridiculous if true. It seems it dates back to last years league as I can't recall him getting black cards this year. How can a player be suspended in a different year in a different competition . Anyone got the rules there.

The rule is a one game ban if you get 3 black cards in the one year (league and championship) He got black cards in the league against Cork(in the 70th minute) and Clare and again today.

I heard Cian O'Neill saying they would look to see if we could appeal todays one but I doubt he'd get off. Looks like we could have no free taker if Neil Flynn is out as well.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 am

Fair enough, did't remember him getting two blacks this year. Terrible loss. Cribbin to come in and don't kick it long.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 am

Why do we always make it so easy for Dublin? Same as our last final we concede two early goals and spend the rest of the day chasing them. We got two great goal chances and were dreadful in our attempts.
There are positives which I will leave until tomorrow to state but 2 Dublin players scoring 11 pts from play and leaving Conway on for so long when he was having a nightmare is not good enough at this level.
Still proud of the way the fought back so bravely in the 2nd quarter.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am

So true Murof... Any team playing Dublin over the past 40 years, one of the keys has always been - stop them scoring goals. It's even more important with the current side. I've no doubt it was drilled into our boys, so to let them score two in the first 20 minutes - I was disgusted tbh. Can only imagine O'Neill and co's frustration.

Another interesting aspect of today's game - we're one of the very few teams outside Kerry and Mayo in the past few years who've gone with a fundamentally attacking approach against Dublin and not been eviscerated by 20 points.

The likes of Donegal and Tyrone who've also really troubled them have been very defensive. I think it was a good move ultimately; yes, we conceded the two goals, but it suits the traditional Kildare style, and in the end it's the only way we're actually going to beat the top teams.

Feely, Doyle and N Flynn would obviously be big losses the next day. We'll still be well capable of winning tho.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 am

You'd have to be very disappointed with how we "handled" - or completely failed to handle - O'Callaghan and Brogan. Some harsh lessons learned there. They need to be taken onboard not just for the next match but into next season as well, because it doesn't get any easier against the likes of Paul Geaney and James O'Donoghue.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 am

Thank fuck there hasn´t been any words like ´disgrace´bandied about.
Like everyone I am so disapointed that we fell asleep for the two goals and then had to chase from there.
Like many teams in Leinster once they ´see off´the Dubs they can be liberated a bit. I think the season can be rebooted and if Ben Mc gets more training hours behind him it is another boost.
Neil Flynn must be a bit away or he would have got a few minutes.
Hard to judge a lot of the lads up front who may not have had any service, but Kelly needs a big game the next day.
No one here is celebrating a nine point defeat but there is no point throwing everything up in the air. I think we have the right kinda men to mark Clarke and the lads running at pace to break through Monaghan or Armagh.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:01 am

What did Feely do to get the black card? They didn't show it on the Sunday Game. I didn't see it at the match and typically they didn't put up a replay on the big screen.

I'd agree the way we failed to handle Brogan and O'Callaghan was disappointing. Our defending has improved but still a lot of our defenders are better at going forward than stopping their man.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:24 am

I was at the match but saw Feeley push McManamen, harsh if that's the reason, took 2 hours to get out of Clonliffe College because the guard's let 10 cars out every 5 minutes, I can't wait to ever get out of that kip, anyway rant over, we can beat Monaghan but tough without Feeley or Doyle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Final 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next