Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Final 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 pm

It's funny... I actually have this defeat out of my system already. I'm really looking forward to two weeks time - and I hope it's in Croker!
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
What did Feely do to get the black card? They didn't show it on the Sunday Game. I didn't see it at the match and typically they didn't put up a replay on the big screen.

I'd agree the way we failed to handle Brogan and O'Callaghan was disappointing. Our defending has improved but still a lot of our defenders are better at going forward than stopping their man.

Checked mccaffrey with his arm as he ran by him. Mccaffrey fell.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 pm

If Doyle's out and Conway goes centre back, who would people put wing forward? It's a very specific role Conway fills in the gameplan... Needs someone with real physicality and a serious engine. I think I'd put Fionn Dowling there - unless N Flynn is fit, or O'Neill goes with McCormack, in which case he might shuffle the deck...
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Feely is surely in All-Star territory... You could see him getting one if we make the quarters. Unless they "do a Gary Brennan" and shaft him - what a joke that was... Anyway more pressing concern is the next game I know.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Anyway, the curve is still upwards, give Cian time to build thIs team, even Spillane was effusive in his praise of Kildare's prospects!
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Strange feeling after that. After 18 minutes we were 2-4 to 0-1 down - the point spread for the game was 9. We ended up losing by 9 - so for the next 52+ minutes we actually matched Dublin. We kept going right to the end - in previous years we would have collapsed for the last 15 yet we can look back on a team that never gave up - Brophy's goal was a reward for that effort.

Feely was class today - such a shame if he misses out the next day (has any other player in the country been hit with this penalty for black cards?). Slattery - what can you say - the guy never gives up - he sometimes takes the wrong options but you can't doubt his effort. Brilliantly set up the glorious chance that Flynn spurned. He has shown up his partner on the half forward line - Niall Kelly - and Kelly should take note. Kelly - such a talented footballer but for the second game in a row he was largely anonymous.

That team will have learned an enormous amount today and it should spur them on. Division one football will help develop them further. They have played probably the best team in the country for the last 30 years (ever maybe?) and they stayed with them for long periods. They deserve the praise but can not rest on their laurels.

If we are without Feely and Doyle the next day it will be a real challenge but other players need to step up. They won't play a team as good as Dublin but they should go out not with arrogance but with confidence.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Nailed on we get Armagh and McGeeney in the draw tomorrow.

The one thing I hoped we would see was physicality, unfortunately I can't remember a decent hit. Johnny Byrne put one in the first half but got a yellow for his troubles other than that nothing to write home about. We will never beat them unless we beat them physically and we don't seem to want to take them on.

It's not all doom and gloom. Win next day and we'll give the quarters a rattle. Just hope they can get their heads right.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 am

Rex wrote:

Johnny Byrne put one in the first half but got a yellow for his troubles

They replayed that on Sunday Game......... It was perfectly fair "shoulder to shoulder",,,, If Yellows accumulate that one has to be appealed as it was total joke..............

Well done Kildare on giving Dubs the best contest they got in Leinster in years. Ye are going in the right direction (unlike my lot)..
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 am

I woke up this morning proud and disappointed. I imagine most of us Kildare fans feel that way. We gave it a great shot but fell short.

16 months ago or so I remember feeling depressed looking at league games against Limerick and Sligo in Newbridge and thinking wouldn't it be terrible if we got stuck in this division. A short while before that we endured the calamities of the croke park defeats to Dublin and Kerry!

At the start of the year I was convinced that the opening league match was the most important one of the year. I thought the loser would immediately be facing a relegation battle; I got that one wrong and I was so wrong that today I'm disappointed we didn't win yesterday!

Yes the better team won and yes they are a great team, one of the best of all time.

From what I can remember we missed 2 really great goal chances. Tommy Moolick in the first couple of minutes and of course Daniel Flynn on the second half. Fergal Conway dropped a ball into Cluxtons hands that should have been a point and we kicked some terrible wides in the second half.

Cian O Neill noted the amount of turnovers we conceded and that 1-5 of their total came from it.

So even allowing for their fabulous forwards and the questioning of some of our defending we actually would be champions this morning if we had taken our opportunities and not conceded as much turnovers.

But of course mistakes do happen in games and they are usually the difference between winning and losing.
Dublin obviously have tremendous experience in these occasions, we are really just building, a work in progress as such.

I wonder is the best way to beat Dublin is to attack better than them rather than defend better than them?
We needed 30 points to win, we got 20. If it was an exam it would be 66%, a good grade but not top of the class.

Anyway, to the match itself and a couple of observations.

Kevin Feely was outstanding. Their main focus was to break the kick out and won a lot of possession that way. Cluxtons kick outs weren't a huge issue for us by the way. However I thought winning the breaking ball was a big issue and I don't know if it was Eoin Doyle playing a deep sweeper role that was the source of the problem or was it an ineffectual half forward line.

I keep thinking that was the source of the winning and Losing of the match. We had 4 half forwards on the pitch yesterday, including Paul Cribbin for the last 20 minutes or so. David Slattery was the best of them.

We needed bigger performances from the others.
Having said that, I know that the only way to improve and to judge yourself is to play against the best and give it your best. We did that.

Better days are ahead.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am

The half forward line was poor, the rookie was the standout player and he deserves great credit for that.
Hard to be confident against Armagh without Feely and Doyle and with Geezers knowledge of our strengths and weaknesses. Cribben will surely start the next day and maybe McCormack up front.
Sunday Game pundits have us as no 5 in the country just 2 years after the routs in Croker and relegation to div 3! Some turnaround and let us trust in O'Neill to keep it going.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 am

Completely disagree. I think the Armagh draw is an absolute belter for us. Bit of interest in it because of the geezer factor but let's remember he is 5 years out of the job. Roli would have as many insights into how geezer thinks and plans so it works both ways.

It's a division 3 side when it could have been a division 1 side. Also the monaghan midfield are far superior to Armagh so hopefully feely won't be missed as much.

Finally Armagh are open enough , their defence can be porous and Kildare will be a team of forwards who will relish that. A shoot out is more in our favour compared to a dog fight which is what monaghan would have brought to the table .. roll on 2 weeks .. let's get that defeat out of our system , get back on track and prove again why we are a highly rated top 8 team.

Thanks again for all the efforts this year to the panel and management , you've brought some smiles and plenty of supporters back. Well done and best of luck planning for the next round
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:15 am

So it's Armagh, neutral venue, would that be Clones?
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 am

Navan surely?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 am

Said last night it was nailed on Armagh and so it's turned out. Decent draw I think. Watched them v Tipp and they looked fit and up for it. Good free taker and a couple of decent forwards but not in the same planet as what we played yesterday. Get the heads right, get them focused and play like yesterday and we should be OK. If we can score 1-17 against Dublin we can hurt any team. They will obviously be far more defensive but we won't concede what we did.

Happy enough for that draw. Wonder what angle media will go with.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 am

Feely massive loss for next day out. He is a fantastic footballer.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am

I don't really know what to feel after that. Some players surprised me with how well they played and on the other side you surprisingly had Lyons and Hyland both getting caught waiting for a ball to arrive (in Lyons' case the second goal came from this).Thought some players looked nervous from the moment they came out of the dressing room and I don't know whether that was the occasion or memories of past performances in Croke Park. This is where the depth of the Dublin panel helps as their A V B games are more intense than a number of championship games so it was easier for them to get to the pitch of the game early on. Like the 2 goals were as a result of defenders not being able to think quickly enough and reacting slowly to events.

The thing about playing Dublin in Croke Park is that its like putting your team through an x-ray machine and all faults get shown up. We've stuck with the same core personnel all year. At this stage does O'Neill revamp the team on the basis of lessons learned from yesterday or does he make minimum changes, beyond the 2 he has to, and leave any significant changes til next year. Suspect he'll do the latter but players like Conway, Moolick and Kelly need to show substantial improvement.

Think beating Armagh without Doyle, Feely or Neil Flynn would be a better achievement than any other victory this year. I know people will say they're only division 3 but based on our league form we shouldn't have gone as close as we did in 2010. They'll look to do what he had us doing, wear down teams before running over them as the game progresses. Roli would do well to repeat what McGeeney said to the Kildare players when he met them for the first time almost 10 years ago, Kildare players are soft, hit them and they'll lie down. Because you can be certain that's all the Armagh players are going to hear in training for 2 weeks.

Dublin at least let us play a bit. Armagh operate on the same principles as the Seattle Seahawks defence when they won the Superbowl. Foul on every play on the basis that the officials don't want to continually make these calls especially with the fans putting them under pressure. Armagh seemed to have abandoned any pretense of tackling properly. O'Neill would be wise to have a word in the officials ear before throw-in
Back to top Go down
midfieldmaestro
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 am

Lots of signs of progress yesterday. Certainly in recent years we'd be weak a mid-field but Feely looks to be turning into a real top player in that area.

Most team get blown away by Dublin's speed and fitness level. Credit to Cian O'Neill, Kildare matched them well in this department yesterday. Actually troubled them a few times with the speed of our players also. Runners from half back / half forward was our main threat and worked well at times.
If all were available for next match, I'd go with Dan Flynn to centre forward and P Cribben instead of Conway and just let that half forward line of Slattery, Flynn and Cribben run at Armagh, along with K Cribben and J Byrne attacking from half back too.

Main area to work on is intensity of our tackling. Mayo showed last year that that is the one way to disrupt Dublin - you've got to tackle hard and fair. Too many times they went through us too easily yesterday. We had a system of filtering back yesterday that worked at times but this can only be effective if you tackle hard too. Cos if they break past one player it sets up easy 2v1 scenarios which can result in goals or easy points.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm

My thoughts on the game having had a night to sleep on it

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/well-beaten-but-we-have-a-team-again-kildare-1-17-dublin-2-23/
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Great summation again K365... Twenty-four hours later, I'm still sickened by the two goals. As you say, if we're to make the final great leap forward into the top tier, the defending has to improve, end of. The entire back-line being opened up with a simple fisted pass over the top simply isn't going to fly in the long-term.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Excellent write up 365. Spot on with everything
Back to top Go down
Highball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Ye she I ech the above ... 365 your writing is very very enjoyable , in my opinion much more so than he local stuff .. well appreciated by those of us who care !
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks guys. To be fair to the professional journalists they have to tread a careful line as their livelihood depends on it and they need to maintain good relations with the players. As a fan "blogger" who retains some anonymity and hasn't lived among Kildare players and management for over 30 years I have the benefit of being able to say what I really think more easily. I do try to be balanced though and not get personal when a lad has a bad day. I did have a good laugh to myself when I realised I'd written that "Niall Kelly was playing well with himself again" instead of "within himself"!
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Good report kildaregaa365. I'd agree that we should have tweaked our defensive line up a bit to get an extra body or 2 back to cover. I know you can't have it every way and we wouldn't have scored 1-17 if we were more defensive but we had to make it tight and stay in the game at all costs for as long as we could but the game was effectively over after Dublin got the 2 goals. Credit to the lads for fighting back but I think you have to change your shape a bit depending on who you are playing.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 pm

I do think it will be real learning curve for the defence. In fairness, neither Kerry nor Mayo have gone hugely defensive against them over the past 12 months, but they still got their defensive set-up better. We'll chalk it down to experience.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm

I know we can talk about defensive systems and all but for Rocks goal there were bodies who were in a line all cut out by a handpass.
Also Brogan had gone walkies to make the hole. These lads will learn from these things and not get caught out so badly going forward - we hope!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Final 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next