Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Final 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 am

The 2nd goal was entirely preventable. If Lyons had attacked the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him he could moved the ball out of the danger zone easily. Even then if Byrne
hadn't rushed into a tackle that he didn't need to make and tracked McCarthy he could have prevented him from strolling through on goal.
It's basic defending which has to become second nature to us if we want to join the top 4.
The Dublin goals in fairness were expertly taken and in stark contrast to the weak efforts of Moolick and Flynn. I know it's a lot more difficult in your first Leinster final against Dublin but those goals chances represent a 9 point turnaround and how much we lost by.
It's areas we can improve on in the coming weeks and make ourselves very difficult to beat.
Back to top Go down
Fizzer
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:32 am

Excellent reporting Kildare 365 and yes you are correct in that none of us should get too personal
With our criticism. We played Dublin yesterday but we have to put it in context how far we have come in a relatively short period and that the guys who have got us here may well be the guys who didn't have the best of games yesterday.

But we will go again and who knows who will the stars the next day.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 am

No ones getting personal in fact it doesn't really happen on here anymore, most are proud of the lads yesterday and are looking forward to Armagh. I'm sure Cian knew full well that we had only a small chance of winning that game so he must have thought we would be playing in round 4b. I don't think it will have come as a surprise to the players either so getting them back up to speed shouldn't be hard.
They are still only one game from a quarter final and a crack at Tyrone who I don't think are near Dublin's level yet so should hold no fear.

Let's get back at it, all focus on Armagh and keep a good year going.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 am

One hundred percent Rex. The show is most definitely still on the road – beat Armagh and set ourselves up for one almighty crack at Tyrone. As you say, let's get back at it.

Also, let's beat Meath in U17 game tomorrow night. Meath lads hyping these boys up to the Nth degree (tables have turned spectacularly in that regard) so would be very sweet to stick it to them.
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 am

Have to say I'm very impressed with the way the group are keeping things in house. Very few knew of Doyles or Flynns injuries prior to Sunday. That to me means that everyone has bought into the set up. In hindsight Doyle probably shouldn't have played in the warm up it was obvious he only had one hand he couldn't tackle on his left but it's a measure of his commitment he gave what he had. I hope him out and Feels suspension don't scupper us
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 am

Peter kelly has impressed me with his cameo appearances in recent games i have to say. Still think we are short cover in the full bck line however
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 am

yea fair play to doyler. him and feely will be huge losses but I think we should have enough. cribbin was moving well when he came in yesterday .
hopefully Kelly's season can ignite . lots of positives
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:26 am

Finn dowling deserves honorable mention for mid field v armagh they will be much more defensive, and game will suit moolick.open spaces of croker should give lads space to run at an average team.I'm expecting a solid win
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 am

bigball wrote:
Peter kelly has impressed me with his cameo appearances in recent games i have to say. Still think we are short cover in the full bck line however

Ive heard he's moving well in training. Also the fact that he is a teacher is worth keeping in mind as it means hes nothing to do but concentrate on his football at this time of the year.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:05 am

I know the goals killed us, but the 15mins after half time was where this game was lost, Flynn goal chance, flynn wide shortly after, Moolick wide and at least 4/5 stupid turn overs inside the Dublin 45 that resulted in Dublin points. We were again the orchestrators of our own downfall.
Cut out the stupid mistakes and we are more than a match for Dublin and could run them very very close.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 am

Very true, flourman. Dublin absolutely thrive on turnover ball. They are lethal on the break. Also, lots of balls dropped short from us, we really need to kick it dead when shooting.

That point from Flynn out under the Hogan was the best I've seen all year. If a Dub did that we'd never hear the end of it.

Most refreshing thing for me yesterday was the fact we never gave up, we tried to the bitter end. Supporters appreciate that.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 am

Dub beside me tried to argue Flynn was attempting to pass inside and mis-kicked..
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 am

The point from Flynn was an absolute moment of genius. If you remember against Laois, he did something similar and actually equally as difficult - destroyed defender with a shoulder and hit it with the outside of his LEFT boot.

Also, I'm going to say it again - Feely. This guy is the spiritual heir to Lynch, Buckley and Earley (incidentally I said that on here a few years ago and got ridiculed for it - fair to say I've had the last laugh). Dubs tried everything to stop him - McCarthy was even hanging out of for a couple of goal kicks. Fenton has been one of the top midfielders in the country for the past couple of years and he absolutely got his arse handed to him.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:57 am

That might be the case but he needs help in there. Tommy's lack of pace is going to be an issue against all the top teams. That's no slight on Tommy it's just the way the modern game is played. Pace in all lines.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 am

I actually thought Moolick did alright even his crucial early goal attempt was - in the worst way - McCreery-esque. When you look at other top midfield pairings - Moran/Maher, Parsons/O'Shea - none of them are speed merchants. I appreciate people have different views...
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:34 pm

I think the issue though is that one thing Feely lacks is pace. So having Tommy alongside means our whole midfield is struggling against faster sides. I love Tommy - there's never been a more genuine hard-working lad in the jersey but we've got to be looking for the inches that get us to the next level. And the more I look at it the more I wonder is Paul Cribbin the more natural partner for Feely. If not then maybe Conway. Paul's a phenomenal athlete who works his socks off also.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Forgot to record the match. Is there anywhere i can watch it again in full?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:21 pm

RTE player has it until Saturday
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Strange feeling to be relatively satisfied after a nine point defeat. Plenty to take from that game and we should have learned a lot.

Positives:

- We were brave enough to stick playing positive football. Some might consider this a bit of a negative but I think it showed courage to decide against going negative against Dublin and flooding the defence. That might limit the damage but you're pretty much conceding defeat before you start.
- The heads didn't drop when we went 2-4 to 0-1 down. A year or two ago that would bury Kildare against a top team and we would have shipped a cricket score.
- We have one of the best ball winning midfields in the country. That's a big step forward from two years ago down in Newbridge when I remember the Westmeath Maor Foirne roaring "He's afraid to kick it long" every time Donnellan was taking a kickout.
- We have enough to compete with and cause problems for the better teams. Dublin have only been beaten twice in championship football in the last six years (Mayo in 2012 and Donegal in 2014 which was a bit of an aberration IMO). No other team has the same depth of talent as them. If we are able to get over Armagh, I think we could pose serious problems for a Tyrone team who are a fair bit off Dublin's level.

Negatives:

- I think the occasion got to a handful of our players. That's forgivable when they haven't experienced that sort of atmosphere before. Hopefully they learn from it and are better players for the experience.
- Lack of pace and mobility around the middle is a serious handicap against Dublin at Croke Park. That's something I think we will have to look at for the future.
- We have a terrible habit of conceding a whole glut of scores in a short space of time. It was the same against Mayo and Westmeath last year and even against Meath we left the door half ajar for them at the start of the second half. Obviously Dublin are going to have a period of dominance against any team but we need to learn how to break up the game and take the sting out of the opposition when they are on top.
- Simple individual errors and lapses in concentration killed any slim chance we had. Dublin's goals were well finished but they did not have to do anything spectacular to create them. Two defenders getting drawn to the same man and other lads not tracking runners is pretty basic stuff and needs to be improved upon.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 am

I think the problem of Moolick's pace is the sheer power and bulk he carries. If I'm not mistaken according to programme profiles he is the heaviest Kildare player we had on sunday. He has an awful lot to offer and we certainly haven't seen the best of him yet. Maybe if he lost a bit of bulk he would be back to his old pacy self. Right through the underage ranks and indeed for us a club level he was always quick enough!
Dowling has continued his good form since last year v Myyoooo and he is a decent replacement if we are indeed to lose Feely.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 am

I think we need a center half forward with presence badly mabe move Kelly and put moolick there a ball winner and lads running off him could do serious damage with either dowling or cribbin in middle
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 am

Maybe try Moolick full forward against different opposition? He won that early ball very easily and had it been on his other foot I've no doubt he would have buried it. He has a good goal scoring record for a midfielder and even if he alternated between midfield and full forward during games it could give us a different attacking dimension to our running game approach.
I know I keep harping on about it but who are our defenders to come in other than Kelly and Bolton?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 am

I'd stick with Moolick in midfield – call me crazy! And I would in the long-term as well, but even leaving that aside – if Feely's out, going with a totally new midfield pairing against Armagh for the first time all year would be pretty risky.

I seriously rate young O'Donoghue as a defender, he's an animal. Also pacy and able to get forward and score. Also I think Mark Hyland's very good.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:45 am

Cian O'Donoghue and Mark Hyland were on the bench on Sunday. Shea Ryan and Liam Healy are on the panel as well. Fergal Conway could also play as a half back.

We've benefited from having a settled team all season and I suppose the downside of that is that a lot of the fringe players haven't had much game time and are mostly untested.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 am

Speaking of the bench... I brought a programme on Sunday as I wanted to see Dublin's squad. Stating the bloody obvious but their strength in depth is ridiculous. Top class players like McHugh and Basquel not even in the squad... How the hell other counties are supposed to compete with that I don't know. It's definitely not easy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Final 2017   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Final 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 15 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next