Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Armagh

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 am

Well, the Laois lads are right to give us a slagging. Several on here – including me – banging on about winning Leinster over the next few years, and when it came down to it, we couldn't beat a mediocre Div 3 team with one decent forward.
Back to top Go down
MD
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:48 am

I think things are probably not as bad as what some are making out but not as good as what a lot were saying before this game. I never once felt confident going into this game because these are the games we have historically lost and Kildare being Kildare they stuck to the script.

Reading Cian O Neills comments infuriated me slightly, yes we have an abundance of high quality young players coming through and they are always welcome. But how many of these lads are natural leaders? Who when push comes to shove will drive the team on? I feel like he is completely missing the issue. Kildare are notoriously known as a county with lovely footballers with a soft belly and this is what has to change.

I look at our team now and currently we have one leader and he is our captain, no one else seems capable of taking the bull by the horns when needed. Being a leader is a natural trait imo, it is something that comes from within and I worry that drafting in more youth is not going to change the issue that Kildare football has. Look at Dublin and Kerry, leaders on every line of the pitch, and some of their leaders are young men, Kilkenny, John Small etc. This team is crying out for a Johnny Doyle right now. How many times did he drag us over the line?
Back to top Go down
whiteknight
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:36 am

@TommyKeegan - I'd say you would want to relax a little bit with your language. Your last post might be okay if you were speaking about Cleveland Browns or Arsenal or something but you're not. Only one team wins the all Ireland. Is every other team losers or cowards or chokers? Because ultimately if you don't win the all Ireland then you can apply those labels to everybody. This group were not losers when beating Meath and Laois or when gaining promotion this year. They fell one game short of realistic objectives for the year - promotion and a QF place. I think they are on the right track and next year will be the acid test. Saturday was very disappointing - I'd say the players are gutted with the missed opportunities and the squad definitely needs 4/5 new players. Really disappointing not to make the last 8 because I think at the moment that's the potential of the players and in 2/3 years there's potential to be top 4 if we continue in Division 1. We haven't been a top 2 team for nearly 20 years and since then we made the top four once through the back door. Progress was always going to be incremental and its being made under this group. Keep the faith.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 am

Ogie wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0oECCuN6I

This sums up better than anything I can say about some of these comments!

Not sure "video not available" is quite the point you were trying to make. Maybe you could enlighten us simple Kildare people a bit further.

Another thing see Cian keep saying Croke Park is not a factor. No offence but Stevie Wonder could see that it is a massive problem. Not only for the players but supporters too. The lads always look like they are playing with the handbrake on the supporters hate the place. Not a good combination.

How they get over this is going to be a major issue because any game worth winning is going to be played there.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 am

Rex wrote:
Ogie wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0oECCuN6I

This sums up better than anything I can say about some of these comments!

Not sure "video not available" is quite the point you were trying to make.
]

lol!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:07 am

whiteknight wrote:
@TommyKeegan - I'd say you would want to relax a little bit with your language. Your last post might be okay if you were speaking about Cleveland Browns or Arsenal or something but you're not. Only one team wins the all Ireland. Is every other team losers or cowards or chokers? Because ultimately if you don't win the all Ireland then you can apply those labels to everybody. This group were not losers when beating Meath and Laois or when gaining promotion this year. They fell one game short of realistic objectives for the year - promotion and a QF place. I think they are on the right track and next year will be the acid test. Saturday was very disappointing - I'd say the players are gutted with the missed opportunities and the squad definitely needs 4/5 new players. Really disappointing not to make the last 8 because I think at the moment that's the potential of the players and in 2/3 years there's potential to be top 4 if we continue in Division 1. We haven't been a top 2 team for nearly 20 years and since then we made the top four once through the back door. Progress was always going to be incremental and its being made under this group. Keep the faith.

No most aren't losers. For me, as I explained, nothing is worse than having the ability and not having the mental fortitude to use it most when faced with a challenge. We know athletically they have the talent, that much has been recognised by people in professional sports with a quarter of that team paid for in past lives for their services. This was completely upstairs yet again when the going got tough. At such a time they forgot all that was learned and gave it away against a side two divisions below them that are seriously average. That is quite literally the definition of chokers. No one is talking top two or winning All Irelands, we are merely talking about having the balls to live up to potential and man up when the chips are down against guys you are better than. The fact we feel bad about pointing that out and start the "they are amateurs" lines stinks of that losing attitude going beyond the panel. 10 of that team I remember in 2014 talking about how they had learned a lesson and wouldn't let it happen again after not being able to hold on when up late against Monaghan. I'd rather actions than words as I wonder how many people would back them again when a team stands up to them.
Back to top Go down
whiteknight
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:20 am

I would say Armagh are not an average team. They should have made division 2 this year and over the next few years they'll challenge in Ulster again. Look I agree with you mostly and think we probably lost that game in the players heads and on the line. But again its the language I don't like. I believe cowards and chokers are not necessary words for GAA. For example I doubt Mayo will win an all-Ireland but guys like Keegan, Boyle & O'Shea are anything but cowards as were Early, Doyle etc. from our own county even though they never won the big one. In time I really think this Kildare group will come good but as I said before this is year 2 of a cycle that started off with us in Div 3
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:28 am

Ah Jesus we're always in some cycle or other. When do we start winning big games? When we lose out in a close game again next year, it will be, "They need another couple of years". Then when this team inevitably winds down after failing to win anything it will be another overhyped group of Kildare footballers.

If you don't think Armagh are average, watch how Tyrone swat them aside. But the culture in Tyrone is cold-hearted winning, not lovable losers like Kildare.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:30 am

Good example of the difference between Tyrone football and Kildare football was their U21 AI win over Tipp a few years ago. Didn't care what it took to win. Excuses are for losers... when oh when are Kildare teams going to learn this?
Back to top Go down
Goff28
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:37 am

Very disappointing evening in Croke Park again, some of the lowlights for me:

Some of the missed shots were awful. Flynn's shot that Hawkeye was called for in the 1st half the worst of them.

The ref disallowing Flynn's point after a great run when he said he double hopped. I haven't watched it back but I don't think he fouled the ball.
Also pulling up Conway for charging in the 1st half was harsh too.

Niall Kelly is too small for centre forward I'm afraid, he got smashed a couple of times and I think it was on his mind going for the last ball before
he was taken off. He really should have claimed that ball and it was at a crucial stage of the game. He had 1 eye on the man coming to make the hit. In contrast Clarke floated through the game without a care in the world.

Ollie Lyons was wrecked in the last 10 mins. I was sitting near the end Kildare were defending and he wasn't able to keep up with Clarke or even provide
cover in front of him. He should have been switched off Clarke earlier than he was.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:17 am

jesus lads its not all doom and gloom it was bloody brilliant walking out of tullamore after hammering meath give them a break and let all regroup and get competive in div one next year with hopefully a few new additions a year stronger and wiser playing better teams as well will help as said earlier micko did not do it first 2 years
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Staying in Div 1 and making the super 8 are so important next year.

Has anyone insight into Neil Flynn injury ?.
Back to top Go down
DooReg
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:17 am

Don't be hard on yourselves lads. I am an Armagh man and Kildare is a team i always look out for (since Geezer was with yis). You are an up and coming team and i wouldn't be too harsh on yourselves. I think reading back on some of the posts, Jamie was taking far too lightly (maybe not by management but certainly on here). Armagh may not be world beaters yet, but there is a team here that could challenge for honours over the next 5 years. It's a very youthful side with some nice stuff coming through. Take the beating head on and it will make yis better. Never lose the faith - that's what the GAA is all about. We have had too many years now in the doldrums and there's a little light at the end of the tunnel after 10 years in exile. Now off to play 15 men behind the ball!! (sorry 14, big Sean hasn't the legs now to get back into the full back line).
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 am

If you think you've been in the doldrums, you want to try this side of the fence, it's a whole new ball game.
However if there is one man I'd like to see have success outside of Kildare it's McGeeney. Dragged us up by our boot laces and put pride back in the jersey only to be stabbed in the back. Many in this County will not forget his efforts.

Best of luck this weekend against Tyrone.
Back to top Go down
DooReg
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:05 am

It will be tough playing against the diving midgets with them feigning injury all over the place but sure what can we do. Our last two games against Kildare and Tipp allowed us to play football. End to end stuff and that's what i grew up playing football. It is just honest football with both teams having a go. Armagh were slightly more defensive minded against you as they obviously feared your big runners through the middle. Kildare just need to get that balance right - fix the holes at the back and you won't be far away. Next Saturday i fear will be awful to watch because one team only know how to play ultra defensive football and rely solely on the break (after turnovers) to punish a team. Armagh need to get a lead early and bring Tyrone out of their shell, if it is to be a good game. If Tyrone get up early, you'll need match-sticks to keeps the eyelids open!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:31 am

If you think this Armagh team is going places, dream on. Couldn't even get out Div 3 this season and Clarke was "up against" the most accommodating defence in the country last Saturday night. Kildare totally choked and you are in for a serious reality check against Tyrone.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:35 am

Dooreg, How many of your AI winning minors of 2009 were involved on Saturday  ?.

Last edited by SeamusMurphy on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 am

Haunted G, yourself and Rex Are 2 of the more inciteful posts that I enjoy reading on the forum, and not that I always agree with your posts either, however I think your response to our Armagh guest was bordering on the arrogant, Clarke was given too much room alright but he is a class act, Armagh are like Kildare 7 years ago, it has Geezers stamp all over it, as I am on about Geezer I also have to say how admiable the man is, and I always want them to progress (not at our expense of course) because of what he did for us, they have the best supporters in Ireland - a massive following, Compared to our pathetic numbers on Saturday, I was talking to one of their many supporters at half time in Croker and he too believes this Armagh team are on an upward curve, Tyrone might be a bit too soon but they won't wilt like we did. I wish them well.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:52 am

Saturday's Q Finals are already sold out.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:16 am

Agree Kill Bill, the dismissive attitude towards Armagh for the last week has been both arrogant and delusional. They are a bloody good side who only lost out on promotion due to an injury time goal against Tipp in their last game.
Clarke is a wonderful footballer than would transform Kildare if he was one of ours. Geezzer's main skill was getting a team to improve with regular games in the qualifiers . So why are we surprised that he did it with Armagh?
Tyrone will probably beat them on Saturday but they will probably do with a cynical style that is horrible to watch and which should not be tolerated by referees.
Back to top Go down
DooReg
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 am

Morgan, Grugan, Murnin & McParland played in that 2009 team. I think niall rowland was on that team too and he is on the panel.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 am

Have huge time for Kieran McGeeney who I think did magnificent work in Kildare. Does not change the fact that there is an absolute emergency need for a change of mindset in our county. I'm only being honest with our Armagh guest when I say I do not rate their team at all. Hilariously, I heard Stevie McDonnell describe Kildare as "overhyped" the other day. If you want the definition of overhyped, just look at Armagh in All Ireland series. Last Saturday night was a fantasy... Reality is about to hit, hard. And trust me, Geezer would not want me to say it to him any other way.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 am

Jesus, HG, you talk some utter horseshit at times!

Kildare were massively overhyped by all on here, including myself, and in the media. Armagh were not. For a team in the last 8 they have gotten very little praise. They're grinding out wins every week, something our lads are depressingly incapable of.

Armagh are a solid unit and I believe they will get within 6 points of Tyrone.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

Getting within 6 of Tyrone some kind of achievement... Jesus Christ the loser mentality in Kildare is truly something to behold.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am

DooReg wrote:
Morgan, Grugan, Murnin & McParland played in that 2009 team. I think niall rowland was on that team too and he is on the panel.

That was an excellent team.. beat us in Cavan in the AI Q Final.. we had Donnellan, Doyle, P Cribben and Moolick involved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Armagh
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next