Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Armagh

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 am

My final word.... It seems to be only myself and Tommy Keegan who believe so passionately in the potential of this group that we refuse to accept pathetic choke jobs such as we witnessed on Saturday.

Ironically, the greatest advocate for this Kildare team among GAA pundits is a Meath man, Liam Hayes (also, btw, a confidante of Kieran McGeeney). I think it's because firstly, he sees parallels with himself (Feely) and Gerry McEntee (Moolick). Also, he played on a Meath team in the mid-80s who had the world and its mother telling them their lot in life was to make up the numbers while Dublin and Kerry mopped up All Irelands.

Well, we know how that turned out in 1987/88... Judging by the weekend, it's  unlikely this Kildare team has the balls or audacity to achieve something similar, but that's where we should set the bar. We will never progress if we don't demand it.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:08 am

Final final word to Stevie McDonnell... Enjoy Armagh's "odyssey" in the All Ireland series. I know I will.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am

Goff28 wrote:

The ref disallowing Flynn's point after a great run when he said he double hopped. I haven't watched it back

I did watch it back and there was only one hop and the TV director did a replay to check having seen the ref signal 2 hops..... The replay verified one hop........

but the worst to me was not that, not the Yellow for the trip/kick which was either Black or Red,

but when Flynn was thrown to the ground in front of the ref, after a free was given against him and not only did not produce a Black ( as rules specify) or overturn the free & hop the ball (as he had done in the first half when Flynn was awarded a close in free, was dunted as he moved away & pushed the assailant)..

I hate this double standard by refs from which certain teams suffer (Kildare v Down & Donegal.. Monaghan v Down with the Down full back elbowing & punching opponents and Smiler Deegan turning a blind eye, being samples)
Back to top Go down
ALLO ALLO
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Am a regular reader but not contributor to this forum but have been following Kildare for many many years. After Saturday night I had to make a comment on a few points.
'Where have all the lilies gone' We had no support there in comparison to Armagh. They were visible and vocal all during the match. When they were in front they chanted 'Armagh Armagh' and when they were behind they chanted 'Armagh Armagh'. Their team must have got massive encouragement from this especially in the second half when we hit the front. When our lads needed a lift we were silent, why was this? Why did we not have 15 or 20,000 supporters there and we the county closest to the stadium.
Club Kildare (which I am a member of) to me is only a fund raising group and not acting like a supporters club. They should be marketing these big matches within the county to grab the attention of our younger population. Think of it, 18 to 22 year olds do not, on average, watch TV, listen to radio stations or buy news papers, it's all other forms of social media that they connect with. So therefore some of them barely heard of the Armagh match even happening last Saturday. Club Kildare possibly should be organising coaches from the bigger towns to these championship matches, advertise the games locally (apart from KFM), they should also be promoting away games during the league, hotels to stay in etc but all that is for another day. When ticket purchasing was in the GAA grounds in Newbridge in the good old days, ques would be down to the main street. Is Hawlkfield to inconvenient? My final rant is 'Kildare supporters leaving early' Dick Clerkin the former Monaghan player wrote an article on Mondays Independent. In his opening paragraph he said that he was astonished to see so many Kildare supporters leaving with 5 minutes to go and still only 3 points in it. I was astonished too and mortified. Monaghan and Down supporters around me couldn't believe it either. It must be soul destroying for Kildare players to see their own followers leaving, giving up on them with minutes to go when there is still time to get 3 points or even a goal. Shame on those supporters that left early.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Go back to '97 when we beat Laois with 13 men, there weren't many Kildare supporters there that day, though what ones were there all seemed to be on the pitch after the game. Very few at the 2 games with Dublin in '94 after the defeats to Dublin in the previous 3 years. Not many in Croke park for the defeat to Wicklow or even in Limerick for the qualifier later in 2008. We're no different to most counties in that regard with a sizeable soft support. Think back to 2010 when Dublin were hammered by Meath. Next game in Croke Park v Tipperary had 22,000 at it and that included a number of Clare hurling supporters there for the first game that day. Not many at the Armagh qualifier a week later. Hardcore supporters will always be there but most other people need a bandwagon to jump on and until we win games in the summer against teams that matter i.e. not Laois, crowds will not be great.

Think we all see the danger of this team not fulfilling their potential HG, just trying to rationalise why this is happening. Kildare 365 wrote a great article earlier in the year about our failures in the late '60s and early 70's. There were a lot of people of that generation who used to go to games back then who just stopped going because they couldn't take the continued under-performance on big days. History repeating itself?
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Lads, while we're all disappointed some of the stuff since Saturday is well OTT. There is a winning mindset in this bunch and the management know all about winning at all levels. We showed Armagh no respect on here either before or after the match, we only swapped places with them in division 3 last year so there was little bases to think it would be a cakewalk. They played and finished well we didn't. Realistically we need 3/4 new/ better players to cover a slightly sub par performance. Down beat monaghan in ulster yet monaghan comfortably reversed that on Saturday, are they chokers?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Firstly I personally hate Croke Park and I have said it before Saturday. It's a Circus of a place. Add to the fact we tend to play in double headers where you spend half the game getting out and back down into your seat for supporters of the second match while being bombarded with music that makes your ears bleed while paying an arm and a leg for a ticket, no parking around the ground unless you mortgage your house to park in school next door only to spend two hours trying to get out. All this before we inevitably lose a game we have been leading up to the last ten minutes.

Compare that experience to Tullamore or Portlaoise. Drive down, go in watch match and go home. No bullshit. Who needs it in reality if you are not as passionate about it as you or me. You'll sit at home watch the TV and shrug when we inevitably collapse and switch over to Rugby or Soccer without a seconds thought.

Secondly Kildare is not the County it was in the 90's. The population has nearly well over doubled. But they are not from here. You are more likely to be living next door to a Dub, Mayo, Cork, Galway or Eastern European than a native. It dilutes the support. Kids have other interests and other sports to try. All this without the investment from Croke Park to promote GAA unlike what Dublin get for their games promotion.

It would be a good study for some sports students to see the correlation between population increase in the likes of Kildare and Meath from other Counties and the decline of their Senior team.

Basically you can't compare the big crowds we drew in the 90's to today's world. In saying that we were nearly at that stage with McGeeney one big win and it was back. Which adds to what I have said previously and the point shergar made until they start winning matches that count the support won't come back. It's that simple.

All of the above without mentioning Dublin's dominance. In the other Provinces you always have a chance of a title it keeps the interest up and support healthy. In Leinster your watching the draw in November hoping to be on the opposite side thus giving you the chance just to play in a final not even win it. How do you generate a healthy support base when that's your option.

Lilyboy no offence but when has a message board opinion ever kicked a point. I would question your premise that we have a winning mentality. In fact I would argue we have quite the opposite and the evidence can be seen any time this team is put under pressure.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

No offence taken Rex, we're just chatting here and all want to see Kildale winning. By winning mindset I was more thinking of wanting to win and preparing accordingly, I agree that they don't know how to win a tight game yet. We have some very good players but few leaders. I also agree with allo allo that the supporters club or County board have to actively go about building a fan base
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 pm

We will win nothing until we get a proper defense. By that I mean some hard men who can mark tightly and a structure that limits the opposition running through us. Doyle negates a lot of the problems when he is there but he can't do it on his own. Hyland and O'Grady are good enough but the rest including the subs who came on are clearly not.
It doesn't matter how much of a winning mentality you have if you have to work hard for your scores and then watch the opposition stroll down and tap it over in quick reply. That would deflate any team.
We should have less talk about chokers and more about how to to deal with the elephant in the room which is a totally inadequate defense.
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 am

Some awful shooting in the first half put us under pressure and a goal for armagh...kind of against the run of play gave them something to build on...fair play to armagh...they scored some points from the top drawer and fought tooth and nail to get the win..
We scored 17 points against a solid sweeper system..
Hit the post twice..missed 3 frees...missed 2/3 shots from inside the 21..had one point wrongly ruled out for steps/double hop...
The football/talent is definetly there...our defence/defenders need to improve... individually and collectively...
The management team in fairness have cut a few lads adrift from the panel that they didn't fancy and it looks to me that they will have to be ruthless again if kildare are to keep moving forward.
Looking forward to see where/how they try to strengthen for next year
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:21 am

Already seeing where we stand 20 minutes into this. Armagh aren't suddenly a good team because we lie down? There's a reason they did't get out of Division Three - because they aren't good enough. And by the way Tyrone are a level off the very best. We were good enough to get into Division One, we have four players who were deemed by experts good enough to play pro sports, we have guys that were good enough to compete with the very best in Dublin all the way up, we have a very good set-up where they want for nothing, so to say that wasn't a choke from a group with massive mental questions is baffling.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 am

Leaving Kildare out of this Armagh are a complete rabble.
Back to top Go down
totalgaa
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Kildare v armagh   Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:34 am

Best think now is we all say nothing
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:37 am

Losing to Armagh was a blessing looking at this complete mismatch.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:50 am

Are Tyrone that good ?.. as some posters on here reckon Armagh are a good team.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:51 am

Oh my God, are we really that bad as to let this very poor Armagh team beat us and look like a very good team doing it. Today showed just how bad they really are and proves to me at least that McGeeney is and always was a bluffer.
They scored 4 points in the first half and 4 more in the second half. That says to me that they got no help whatsoever from the sideline. Overall they are a very poor team and I shudder to think where that leaves us.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 am

Borderline wrote:
Oh my God, are we really that bad as to let this very poor Armagh team beat us and look like a very good team doing it. Today showed just how bad they really are and proves to me at least that McGeeney is and always was a bluffer.
They scored 4 points in the first half and 4 more in the second half. That says to me that they got no help whatsoever from the sideline. Overall they are a very poor team and I shudder to think where that leaves us.

Bluffer? go fuck yourself! He managed to "mastermind" a win against us last week, and got us to an all Ireland semi final and gave his all for us.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:33 am

He's far from a bluffer, he managed to take an inferior team passed a superior team and a Division 3-level group of players to the last eight. If anything, we've been bluffing as we don't have the heads to match the bodies when it's not a highlight reel and we've to dig deep.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:53 am

LillieLad wrote:

Bluffer? go fuck yourself! He managed to "mastermind" a win against us last week, and got us to an all Ireland semi final and gave his all for us.

Seriously, do you really believe he gave his all. I think he bled to Co. Board dry, made us the laughing stock of the country by buying in a player from Cavan who never performed (apart from a bit of hurling), held up the club championships year after year and after all that we won absolutely nothing.
Today proved he has nothing in his armoury of how to win or even slow down games and as for "masterminding" a plan to beat us, well I think we beat ourselves last week and almost everyone agrees with that.
Back to top Go down
Goff28
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:58 am

Division 1 next year is a daunting challenge. Dublin, Tyrone, Kerry and Galway who we never beat. It will be a great feat to stay up.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 am

Yeah, those six quarter-finals in his eight years of management with teams outside the top eight suggests he was holding back alright. And aside from the fact that our performances went through the roof relatively compared to what went before and literally every player says he gave so much, why would he hold back?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:08 am

Looking at Dublins challenge match Today, I reckon the Super 8 could be a disaster.. more challenge matches I fear.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:26 am

Why are people responding to the bait of Borderline, he obviously a Laois man on the stir, let him off FFS
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:15 am

Last two weekends sum up the best and worst of McGeeney. Excellent at preparing a team and if his team take the iniative can be very hard to beat. When he is playing catch up or needs to change up he very seldom produces.
I don't believe we can say that Tyrone wud have beaten us by as much as they beat Armagh. By setting up so defensive and falling behind it left oceans for P Harte and Donnelly to exploit. I don't for one minute think we wud have won but we wud have competed better.
Semi between Dublin and Tyrone looks tasty the best tactician v the best team. I think M Harte will be looking at what Slattery and Cribben did running straight up the middle
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 am

Lads, borderline is as flourman said a queen wum. His obsession with Kildare is bitter and sad. But the fact McGeeney's Kildare handed them their arses on numerous occasions warms the heart with the added bonus they are irrelevant as a football team.

Just watched both matches as I was out today and it's scary how far we are off. We are so naive and passive I can't imagine us competing next year unless a serious change in player attitude or tactics comes about. Tyrone were toying with them, what I wouldn't give for that kind of defensive organisation and aggression. We basically rolled over like a puppy and had our stomach tickled by Armagh. Cian will be having nightmares after watching Tyrone and comparing them to our efforts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Armagh
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next