Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Armagh

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Unfortunately I am the type to say I told you so... And I told you so. If you're talking the elite level, this Armagh team are not a serious outfit. That's just reality. They accused us of hype - well, if that's true, we need a new category for Armagh. Jamie Clark saying they had the best footballers in the country and Stevie McDonnell saying they were going to beat Tyrone... Delusional, the lot of them.

With a week to get that defeat out of my system, I'm actually raring to go again. I'm actually looking forward to Div 1 next year, plus we have youth on our side. Need to tighten up defensively though and develop a ruthless hard edge, those two are non-negotiable.

As for for Armagh - enjoy Div 3 boys!!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:00 am

My favourite line in the build-up was "Armagh aren't a Div 3 team".

My thing was, that is factually incorrect, empirically false etc etc.

Talk about post-truth!

Anyway, maintaining Div 1 status essential for us over the next few years. Need to avoid Cavan / Roscommon / Down "yo-yo syndrome".
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:27 am

We will need 4 home matches to have a realistic chance of staying up. Will the CB resist the inevitable request to move matches to provide the warm up act for Dublin in Croker?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:14 am

Shouldn't be moving any matches... Also be interesting to see if the CB grow a pair and demand the Dublin game in Newbridge. Unfortunately don't think they're bright enough for that but hopefully be proved wrong.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:15 am

Seriously if Dublin game is fixed for Croke Park there has to be a backlash... It's unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:56 am

Probably Portlaoise.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 am

A question about Super 8s - if we took this year as an example, would we have gone straight in or would we still have needed to beat Armagh, if know what I mean?

Like does beaten provincial finalist have to play a game to get back in?
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
A question about Super 8s - if we took this year as an example, would we have gone straight in or would we still have needed to beat Armagh, if know what I mean?

Like does beaten provincial finalist have to play a game to get back in?
need win round 4 game to make Super8s
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Seriously if Dublin game is fixed for Croke Park there has to be a backlash... It's unacceptable.

Not sure how true but I recall seeing somewhere that the home/away arrangements for the fixtures next season in Division 1 are the reverse of this year's with Kildare taking the place of Cavan and Galway that of Roscommon. If that is the case we will play as follows:

Monaghan H
Tyrone H
Mayo H
Galway H
Dublin A
Donegal A
Kerry A
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 am

Hmm... Getting into Super 8s tricky no matter what way you slice it.

If that is Div 1 lineup of games it's not bad... Considering it's going to be a hell of a slog to stay up no matter what way it plays out, it's alright - I mean, you'd take it. God forbid we'd ever have a competitive home game v Dubs though. Suppose it's only been 23 years!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 am

Will we actually be playing games in Newbridge. I thought they hoped to have started the pitch widening and the building of the new changing rooms in the next month or two.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:35 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Probably Portlaoise.

I think you're right as regards playing some of the bigger home games there. I would have no problem with that as we always play well there and its a lovely pitch.
But I suppose I would say that as I'm a laois man according to the guys who still think McGeeney is God Almighty with a northern accent.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 am

Drag them all down to Athy....... That will learn those division one boys!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 am

Super 4 and the rest after Today's demolition.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 am

It's funny with Mayo, on a given day different teams can push them, but when it comes to that elite level, they are able to compete in a way other teams simply can't. You saw it today, when they got on top they absolutely pulverised Roscommon, was a punishment beating in the end.

They're still going to lose to Kerry though. Probably two classic games and Mayo lose it by a point after extra time in replay.

It's funny as well... Now that we have essentially the same teams at the top again, the Super 8s does look a little less appetising, doesn't it? Could be a few more punishment beatings dished out next year.

There are only a handful of teams capable of seriously competing at that semi final/final stage, but in terms of surviving in Div 1... You would have to say the only one of those teams who are consistently excellent in league are Dublin. Kerry usually start slowly, Mayo ditto, Tyrone totally spluttered towards the end this year after promising start. So staying up is definitely do-able, is what I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:09 am

If those fixtures are correct then we would have a realistic chance of getting enough points to stay up.
We wouldn't beat Dublin or Kerry so might as well meet them away.
It's all immaterial if we can't defend properly anyway. The ferocity of Mayo's tackling was remarkable today. It's something that takes years to get right.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 am

Only need 5 points to stay in Division 1 this year
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:29 am

The 2 years prior to that 6 got you relegated though. We realistically are in a competition with Monaghan, Donegal and Galway to avoid the two relegation spots.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 am

Monaghan and Donegal are the most vulnerable of those who are currently there but we won't stand a chance unless we change the way we play. We are too naive in how we set up and the best teams will punish us time and time again. It's imperative our aggression in the tackle increases, you only need to watch Mayo today to see what a team playing with high aggression can do.

Staying in Div 1 would be brilliant for their development. The problem we will have is because we need to hit the ground running in the league our ability to try new faces in the O'Byrne will be limited. It may also affect our championship performance as we may have put to much into the first half of the year.

Last edited by Rex on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 am

Retention of division one status should be our primary aim next year......
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 am

I was shouting about it before the Armagh game - and it may as well have been shouting into the void for all the good it did - but we needed to get tight on Clarke.

If you want to see what serious, elite level man-marking is about, Mayo are actually a good place to start, possibly the best. Keegan, Boyle, Higgins and the boys really strangle the opposition - sometimes literally.

On top of that, their tackling and hitting is ferocious, plus they get forward and score. I really hope this summer was a wake-up call for our boys, because the way we've been defending simply isn't going to fly in Division 1.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:58 am

How many wake up calls can one group need? Most of them have been through:
Division One in 2013 and 2014
Dublin hammering 2013
Dublin hammering 2015
Kerry hammering 2015
Mayo sauntering through our defence 2016
Surely the penny should have dropped well before Dublin and Armagh repeated the lesson in 2017 ?
Back to top Go down
Goff28
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Rex wrote:
Monaghan and Donegal are the most vulnerable of those who are currently there but we won't stand a chance unless we change the way we play. We are too naive in how we set up and the best teams will punish us time and time again. It's imperative our aggression in the tackle increases, you only need to watch Mayo today to see what a team playing with high aggression can do.

Staying in Div 1 would be brilliant for their development. The problem we will have is because we need to hit the ground running in the league our ability to try new faces in the O'Byrne will be limited. It may also affect our championship performance as we may have put to much into the first half of the year.

I understand where you're coming from but I think that practising preventing the top teams racking up big scores against us in the league will benefit us in the championship.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:

Surely the penny should have dropped well before Dublin and Armagh repeated the lesson in 2017 ?

The life of a Kildare football fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkaDSiPrFGs
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 pm

If we are to get to the level of let's say Mayo, you have to be in Div 1, and in Div 1 consistently - Mayo have been there forever.

I know Monaghan have never made the great leap forward, but I think in fairness they are fundamentally hampered by their small pick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Armagh    

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Armagh
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next