Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

NFL Div 1 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:07 am

Hopefully after the 17th of March but what Moorefield players should be brought in!? DEMPSEY Murray Masterson and Eanna?
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 am

umpireonditch wrote:
Hopefully after the 17th of March but what Moorefield players should be brought in!? DEMPSEY Murray Masterson and Eanna?
frist Moorefield have to win on 17 February Frist to be think about 17 March

Dempsey already in Panel
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 pm

I was a bit bored in work today so I had a look through the current panel to see how we might line out for next year. The team more or less picked itself last year, hopefully with the new players brought in we'll see more competition for places. I don't have the exact panel to hand so apologies if I've left anybody out.

Goalkeeper:
Last year: Mark Donnellan
Options: Aaron O’Neill
After a couple of costly mistakes in the league, Mark Donnellan had a solid year in 2017. Aaron O’Neill looked very good for the minors and has a really good kick-out and will be interesting to see how he does for the under 20's. Donnellan will surely start the year as the first choice keeper.

Full-back line:
Last year: Mick O'Grady, David Hyland, Ollie Lyons.
Options: Peter Kelly, Mark Hyland, Mikey Kelly, Luke Flynn, Eoin Powderley, Mark Dempsey.
There will have to be one change here with Ollie retiring. Dublin in Croke Park is going to be a baptism of fire for someone. Our lack of a couple of sticky defenders cost us against Dublin and Armagh last year when O'Callaghan, Brogan and Clarke ran riot. Mark Dempsey has looked good for Moorefield but he'll be club-tied for the next while. Peter Kelly is an experienced option but I'm not sure if he has the legs any more. Luke Flynn could be a possible full-back but he might be better further out the field. Eoin Doyle to full-back with Johnny Byrne at centre-back could be a possibility. Doyle has the pace and is a good reader of the game. O'Grady and David Hyland have been good this year and looked to be certain starters if they are fit.

Half-backs
Last year: Johnny Byrne, Eoin Doyle, Keith Cribbin
Options: Cian O’Donoghue, Daniel Courtney, Kevin Flynn, Ailin McDermott, James Murray(?)
We really missed Eoin Doyle when he was injured against Dublin and missing against Armagh. Johnny Byrne and Keith Cribbin have been good but they seem happier going forward and can be vulnerable when teams run at us. James Murray has really caught the eye for Moorefield and looks as though he could offer something we are missing but won't be available until Moorefield get knocked out. Courtney and Kevin Flynn have looked good going forward for their clubs, not sure how they are defensively.

Midfield
Last year: Kevin Feely, Tommy Moolick/Paul Cribbin
Options: Fionn Dowling, Paschal Connell, Luke Flynn, Mark Sherry
Kevin Feely has had an excellent year and it's a question of finding the right partner for him. I thought Tommy Moolick is too similar to Feely and Paul Cribbin was quiet when he got the chance against Armagh but maybe he wasn't 100% fit. Maybe Luke Flynn or Mark Sherry have the size, pace and ability to stake a claim for a place here. Fionn Dowling has done well coming on as sub.

Half-forwards
Last year: Fergal Conway, Niall Kelly, David Slattery/Paul Cribbin
Options: Fionn Dowling, Ruadhan O’Giollain, Eddie Heavey(?), Eoghan Lawless, Mark Sherry
Apart from a quiet Leinster final, Fergal Conway has had a very good year at wing forward. I like the way his is prepared to take on his man and is usually good for a few scores per game. David Slattery had an excellent Leinster final and it will be interesting to see how he progresses. Niall Kelly and Paul Cribbin were a bit quiet during the championship and haven't really hit the heights of the Cork match in 2015. Mark Sherry and Fionn Dowling could be a options here as well. There is always the option of moving out a couple of the full forward line such as Dan or Neil Flynn or maybe Paddy Brophy.

Full-forwards
Last year: Cathal McNally, Daniel Flynn, Paddy Brophy
Options: Ben McCormack, Neil Flynn, Eamonn Callaghan, Chris Healy, Eanna O'Connor(?), Jimmy Hyland, Brian McLoughlin
We seem to have a lot of options now in the full-forward line. Dan Flynn had an excellent year and Paddy Brophy is going to get better as he gets more football into him. Ben McCormack was flying until he got injured. We missed Neil Flynn's free taking when he was injured. Maybe Eanna O'Connor could be an option as well when Moorefield are finished. Jimmy Hyland and Brian McLoughlin are men for the future. Great to have so many options!

Looking forward to the new season and will be interesting how things shake up. Cill Dara abu.

Last edited by JohnnyC on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:17 pm

A few positional switches could make a big difference. Swapping Conway and K Cribben for example. Conway is a far better defender than Cribben and vice versa as regards a forward. Switching Dan Flynn to 11 might get him on the ball more often running at speed towards the goal which is his real strength.
Luke might be a good partner for Feely in midfield as he is very mobile. We really need McCormack to stay fit for the league if he is to become the player he all hope he can be.
A lot of options available but we need to hit the ground running to keep the momentum going. Plenty reasons to be hopeful for 2018.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 pm

The vast majority of the above starting players from last year were over ran by Moorefield in the club championship, a club with no 'county players'
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 pm

I have heard it said a few times that a lot of the potential Moorefield lads will not commit to the county. They enjoy the Moorefield setup but the county is another set up regarding commitment and not as enjoyable! So I am not expecting a mass of Moorefield players to be added to the panel.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 am

Great time of the year in offices all over the land where the whole thing is winding down!

For my tuppence I think Doyle needs to be left at 6 no matter and allow him to organise. Him at full back might tie him up. Johnny Byrne I think is too forward minded for it.
Would Fergal Conway in the middle dropping into the 6 position with Doyle in front of the full back line not be an option. He had a very specific role, but he could do it from the middle as we have more options up front this year, unusually for us.

I would be looking at a spine whereby O'Grady and Hyland are nailed on inside. Doyle at 6. Feely plus AN Other.
Flynn still at full forward but more roaming with whoever is at 11 going in. Him and Niall Kelly switching would give most defenders hugely different men to mark during a game.
The below is something I'd like to see tried at some stage in the league. It is very much up in the air but definitely I would like to see that Doyle and Conway drop. Then Feely mostly holds the middle area and feeds it in.

Donnellan
OGrady Hyland L Flynn
Doyle
Cribbin Byrne
Conway
Feely
Cribbin Kelly Slattery
Ben Mc D Flynn J Hyland

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am

OK let's all forget the O'Byrne Cup and look at what actually matters.

Here is my shout for a team with a notion of where they would play again. Pick holes and chop and change at will.

Donnellan
OGrady Hyland L Flynn
Doyle
Cribbin Byrne
Conway
Feely
Cribbin Kelly Slattery
Ben Mc D Flynn J Hyland

I do think that we would not have been too badly off with another year in Div 2, but we were consistent in the league last year and went up. Let's see how steep the learning curve is.

Just a curve ball too, but it might mess things up a lot or might be an option. Some DCU heads reckon Feely will eventually be best at 6, where he can dicatat from deeper. Then Doyle moves back to full back where most teams don´t actually play three inside.
I am not so sure, but just throwing it out there!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Can’t see N Kelly starting if he’s on holiday in Thailand three weeks beforehand while the squad’s busting a gut in pre-season training. After the last few days I’d have a job picking a 15 right now. Full back line in particular is in a mess. Think I’d try Luke Flynn at 3 but even with that we might be better off with his mobility around the middle.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Personally, don't give a toss about O'Byrne Cup and I honestly think Kildare should pull out of it, as other teams around the country have done with pre-season competitions.

Anyway, a debate for another day. In the absence of any new boys putting their hands up convincingly, still leaves huge question marks over the area we most need need to improve, ie. defence.

Have to say outside of Hyland and Doyle, I'm not convinced by any of them. Byrne, Cribbin, O'Grady all fine footballers, but for me, not tight or aggressive enough and too easily dragged of position. The one thing the O'Byrne Cup is actually useful for - unearthing a few new players - hasn't provided any obvious solutions, meaning the management is going to have a busy few weeks in training.

Just so everyone sleeps easier at night, I can tell you for a fact Dublin will be out to bury us. They don't want us getting notions about ourselves. In other words, time for our boys to start playing like they have a pair. The excuse of a youthful learning curve is gone - they're all about to hit their peak years. As Cian O'Neill says - and I'm glad he said it and laid it on the line - time to shit or get off the pot.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 pm

This is not a game to get too experimental in. It's obvious our backs are a major worry - Hyland and Doyle are the only two I completely trust - but we just don't have anyone clearly better so I think it's a case of working with what we have.
I'd give Luke Flynn a run and otherwise stick with a similar team to last year, something like:
1 Donnellan
2 P Kelly
3 Hyland
4 O'Grady
5 Byrne
6 Doyle
7 K Cribbin
8 L Flynn
9 Feely
10 Dowling/Conway
11 N Kelly
12 P Cribbin
13 N Flynn
14 D Flynn
15 Brophy

With Slattery as an impact sub.
People will wail about the inclusion of Peter Kelly but I just don't think we have anyone clearly better. If we start the league well and get six points on the board, then we can experiment.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I'd go with Dan at CF and move Paddy to FF, with N Kelly in the corner.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Don't think you can pick either Kelly on form. Peter will get beaten to every ball by his man. Niall looked all at sea in the big games last year and hasn't featured this year. Slattery or Sherry would be a better option. Wish we had more options for the back 6.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:03 pm

I understand that Niall didn't play to his full potential at times last summer but I think he has too much potential to leave off. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying him closer to goal. Hopefully a big season coming up from him either way.
As for Peter, yeah, he hasn't set the world alight for a long time, but I'm just not sure the other options would do any better. Will be interesting to see who starts alongside Hyland and O'Grady in that line.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:55 am

Feeling Mark Dempsey might be the man ultimately to slot in but clearly not available now. Wouldn’t rule out M Kelly either but I wouldn’t risk him against Dubs in Croker.
I remain (alone?) unconvinced about D Hyland as a full back and would like to see Luke Flynn given a run there with Hyland at wing back eventually.

Sort of team I’d love to see longer term (summer?):

Donnellan

O’Grady
L Flynn
Dempsey

Conway
Doyle
D Hyland

Feely
D Flynn

P Cribbin
N Kelly
K Cribbin

J Hyland
P Brophy
B McCormack

Others close to the team in my thoughts would be James Murray, Johnny Byrne, David Slattery and of course Tommy Moolick. Not sure about the younger lads yet except J Hyland despite a difficult game v Longford even before he went off.

Cian can thank me later...
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am

Murray has been savage for Moorefield this campaign alright. What's the deal with him - has he ever been near Kildare squads before or played at underage etc.

Also on that note, I think Niall Hurley-Lynch was the outstanding forward in Kildare club football last year. Presumably he's "over the hill" although I note Mayo have finally turned to 29-year-old Neil Douglas as potentially the missing part of the jigsaw...

As well as Dempsey, Masterson also has the stuff. Not all underage stars are guaranteed to make it at senior of course but he definitely has the raw materials.

O'Neill and Sweeney need to get that Moorefield hardness into county set-up somehow.

Also - Feely & Flynn potentially an animalistic, inhuman midfield. Like having both Terminators from Terminator 2 at 8 & 9.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Murray has been savage for Moorefield this campaign alright. What's the deal with him - has he ever been near Kildare squads before or played at underage etc.

Also on that note, I think Niall Hurley-Lynch was the outstanding forward in Kildare club football last year. Presumably he's "over the hill" although I note Mayo have finally turned to 29-year-old Neil Douglas as potentially the missing part of the jigsaw...

As well as Dempsey, Masterson also has the stuff. Not all underage stars are guaranteed to make it at senior of course but he definitely has the raw materials.

O'Neill and Sweeney need to get that Moorefield hardness into county set-up somehow.
few laps around braveheart Hill sort Kildare lads out
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Not sure if Murray played underage with county. Don’t recall it.

I’d like to see Masterson in under-20 this summer - think it’s too early for him at senior. Also not sure he will have enough pace for senior (although neither do Feely/Moolick). Let’s see how he goes at u-20 first.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

McCormack - broken thumb - had surgery. Will miss first few games.

Hyland - hamstring - assessed over next few weeks - probably miss first couple of games at least

Doyle - tweaked groin - doesn’t sound too bad - he’s the one we really need available

Conway and McNally - niggly injuries - not clear if they’re big doubts

Squad to be trimmed by a couple of players.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Incidentally - serious kudos to Kildare Now for providing up to date info and reports on Kildare GAA. Neither KFM nor local papers exactly busting a gut in that regard tbh. Would it kill someone to do podcasts around league and championship games? It's a no-brainer when you look at the online activity around Kildare GAA. Surely someone will do it at some point...
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Pretty sure Murray played Minor in 2011.. not sure about U21.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Turns out your dead right Seamus - centre back on 2011 minor team. Has been outstanding for Moorefield this campaign, surely in line for a call-up if he's able to commit.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:26 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Incidentally - serious kudos to Kildare Now for providing up to date info and reports on Kildare GAA. Neither KFM nor local papers exactly busting a gut in that regard tbh. Would it kill someone to do podcasts around league and championship games? It's a no-brainer when you look at the online activity around Kildare GAA. Surely someone will do it at some point...
there a piece in kildare nationalist about injuries in this week
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 am

I've being impressed by Him at CB.. I like a traditional holding CB and I reckon He fits that Role.. big step up I appreciate.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 am

Fortunately we have a top centre half in Doyle, but we are in the market for tigerish defenders so Murray potentially has a lot to offer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   

Back to top Go down

NFL Div 1 2018
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next