Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

NFL Div 1 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 am

Corner back maybe?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 am

If he carried his Moorefield form into Kildare, you simply have to fit him in somewhere. Possibly wing back or corner back... That sort of leadership and aggression is what we're crying out for.

Also: another of my brilliant assessments was writing off Eanna O'Connor completely. He's been on fire this year and apparently he's interested in giving Kildare a go again. Deserves another look.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 am

I just hope, as I said last year, that Roli can install some of the Moorefield 'work ethic' in the Kildare set up.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 am

Interesting to see how we line out on the 27th. I wouldn't be overly worried about the O'Byrne Cup. It was disappointing that more of the newer panelists didn't put their hand up for selection but I wouldn't dismiss any player's chances off the back of a January game that will be forgotten about in a month's time. I think O'Neill knows Kildare need to target the early rounds of the league before the big teams hit their stride and the O'Byrne Cup was sacrificed. Kildare need to hit the ground running in February and the heavy training at the moment is probably geared towards that.

There's a position up for grabs in the full back line with Ollie Lyons gone as he was an ever present there for the last five years. O'Neill seems to rate Mark Hyland highly and it wouldn't surprise if he got the nod.

In the half backs Johnny Byrne's position could be under threat from Kevin Flynn, Courtney and O'Donoghue. Hopefully a good while off yet, but if James Murray gets a chance and impresses later in the season could a case be made for moving Doyle back a line? I doubt Armagh would have beaten us if we had Doyle on Jamie Clarke's case for 70 minutes.

I think we will see Moolick and Feely reunited at midfield for the early rounds of the league at least.

For me Brophy, Dan Flynn, Niall Kelly and Paul Cribbin are nailed on starters in the forwards when fit and available. Neil Flynn should start in the corner against Dublin with either Conway or Slattery on the wing. If Kelly isn't back for the Dublin match then it's probably a choice between McNally, Healy and McLoughlin for a starting berth.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:36 pm

For what its worth:

Donnellan

O Grady
Hyland
No Idea

Flynn
Doyle
K Cribben

Feely
L Flynn

P Cribben
N Kelly
Slattery

P Brophy
D Flynn
C McNally

Just a thought lads.. would Johnny Byrne be worth a go at midfield? Great engine on him and has physicality. Also ive no clue who to play in that corner bck position. Possibly one of the moorefield lads when available. Could put Luke at full bck either but i thinkhe will do great things for us at midfield come summer. Maybe could put Conway at 6 and push Doyle bck to full bck line..
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Lads Kelly hasn't the physical presence for CF.. especially for Div 1.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Trying to place No Idea.. is he from the same club as Duine Eile?

Or is that younger cousin of AN Other?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Seamus I couldn't disagree more on Kelly! He has the Peter Canavan/Gooch-type build, but I agree he needs to start producing in the big games this season. Otherwise, time to step aside and let someone else have a cut - god knows we have enough competition in the forwards these days.

Didn't No Idea manage us in 2014 and 15? (Sorry - let's not have an avalanche of Jason Ryan gags.)
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 am

Agree with HG in Kelly. It’s not a question of physique.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Lads Kelly hasn't the physical presence for CF.. especially for Div 1.

As Tommy would say, genuine question Seamus... what do you mean by the position CF? In my opinion, Kelly's job has not been to stand on the 40 and go toe-to-toe with a centre-back and battle for possession. His job has been to get into spaces, elude whoever his marker is, to get on the ball and create - like Greg Blaney and Trevor Giles back in the day. For me, his lack of physical presence is an issue regardless of where he'll be and in the modern game, maybe even more of a one in the inside line. It should be easier to find space the further out you go but whatever the issue, he has not gotten himself into games and they've been passing him by. He is supremely talented but needs to work that out to flourish as a senior inter-county footballer.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 am

I don't get the "physique" angle at all. Peter Canavan played against one of the most brutally intense and physically imposing teams ever to play the game, Geezer's Armagh, and produced several moments of magic. I think it's been partly a mental thing, I don't think Kelly is a natural leader or an imposing personality.

Johnny Doyle commented on KFM after the Armagh game last year, "Sometimes you want to just shake him and tell him how good he is". But I wouldn't be writing him off at all. He's one of those players with so much ability that even if he can get on the ball a bit deeper, he can still really influence the game. If he can do that and get a bit more of an edge to his play, I think he can still definitely flourish as a really top class player.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 am

It's all very well dropping deep to get on ball but for me I prefer a Centre Forward creating for his inside forwards.
Niall dosent do enough of that imo.
Hope he proves me wrong of course.
I'd much rather him closer in.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am

kildare had gruelling of training session today

Last edited by fone on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Dublin are still on holidays, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:50 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
It's all very well dropping deep to get on ball but for me I prefer a Centre Forward creating for his inside forwards.
Niall dosent do enough of that imo.
Hope he proves me wrong of course.
I'd much rather him closer in.

Well I think we sort of agree then - I wouldn't necessarily call him a centre-forward but I know what you mean. I don't think size prevents someone doing that - getting into pockets of space and probing with good kick passes etc. He has the tools, off either foot, and can kick a score. He just doesn't get on the ball as much as he should. I'd love him in closer if he could get on the ball in there but I think it's harder to get on the ball in there than it is on the 40 or around the middle in inter-county football.

But yeah, we're all in agreement. No-one's writing him off. He's gifted. He has to get himself on that ball and influence games!
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am

What’s with Donegal playing their home games here there and everywhere? Would see them as favs to go down as this arrangement is unlikely to help them. Apparently Kerry are way way under strength in their first game though.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am

Caprea wrote:
What’s with Donegal playing their home games here there and everywhere? Would see them as favs to go down as this arrangement is unlikely to help them. Apparently Kerry are way way under strength in their first game though.
Donegal do this every year with their league spread over three venues . Galway and Kildare are favs go down
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 am

Dublin v kildare and Kerry v kildare on Paddys Day are live on Eir Sport.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:

Hopefully be watching the Kerry game on T.V. after being in Croke Park during the day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:36 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:

Hopefully be watching the Kerry game on T.V. after being in Croke Park during the day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NFL Div 1 2018   

Back to top Go down

NFL Div 1 2018
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6