Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster club championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:22 am

Incidentally, I'm not saying it's the death-knell of Kildare football or anything. Looking at counties in Div 1 next year, I would say Donegal, Monaghan and arguably Tyrone are in the same boat. Having said that, it is embarrassing that we can't as much as get to a final these days, never mind win it. Over to you Moorefield. Although I can't say I'm jumping up and down in anticipation of their campaign this year.
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 am

the club scene in the county is poor.1reason I think is the set up .16 senior teams like come on there are possibly 8 genuine senior clubs .Their are clubs celebrating staying senior.It won't happen but the county board need to regrade all of the championship s
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

I also think there are other issues. Athy I think could be geniune Leinster club contenders, but I'll be honest, I never think their managers cut it. There are always glaring tactical deficiencies in their team that the likes of Moorefield and Sarsfields gleefully exploit. Also a fair point about number of senior team in championship simply making up the numbers - there are a load of them genuinely at nothing. I mean, it is poor overall, there's no getting away from it.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am

Agree, when actual kids Athy rattled Garrycastle who were as good as it got then. Development since?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Intermediate Clubs haven't done to bad in the Leinster Club Championship in fairness.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 pm

The Leinster Club was relatively competitive up to about 2003 with the title shared out around the province with a few obvious exceptions. Since the Dubs got their act together accross the board up there they have hoovered up club titles. Last 14 years only 3 clubs outside of Dublin have won a leinster. Portlaoise, Garrycastle and Moorefield.

No way is club football anywhere else in Leinster outside of Dublin is better than Kildare. Being involved down in Laois I can tell you Kildare club football is miles ahead of whats on offer here bad and all as it can be at home. Portlaoise are an established team who normally walk their county championship picking alone from a town of 20k+ and playing mostly rural clubs year on year. They have a winning mentality and a bit of pedigree. That cannot be easily discounted.

Obviously we want Kildare senior teams doing well in Leinster but just like inter county I think the Dublin club scene is now far far stronger than it ever was and it wont get any easier.

There wont be more than a couple of points in it either way on Sunday. I would be anxious with the 2 lads suspended , a couple of key injuires and lads unavailable due to overseas commitments and playing in Portlaoise that the cards are being stacked against us....however..thats usually when we perform. We will see Sunday.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am

Sam1928 wrote:

No way is club football anywhere else in Leinster outside of Dublin is better than Kildare.

Ah Sam, come on... Sarsfields were beaten by the LOUTH champions last year!!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Sam1928 wrote:

No way is club football anywhere else in Leinster outside of Dublin is better than Kildare.

Ah Sam, come on... Sarsfields were beaten by the LOUTH champions last year!!

I would say all the county champions in Leinster are pretty even once you get to that stage although I put the Dubs ahead of the rest of us.
I would not judge the strength of a countys club championship and their respective clubs as a whole, on the basis of one or two games in the Leinster club championship.

I am sure nobody thought Carlow football was super strong just because Eire Og cleaned up a load of Leinsters for example.

I am more concerned with our own county players under performing for their clubs in our own championship to be honest. The county players I saw in the championship this year were not the same ones turning in fine performances in the white jersey this year. I shouldn't generalise but it was more bad than good in my opinion.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 am

I actually don't think they're evenly matched, hence Kildare teams keep losing to them.

But the proof is in the pudding – if Moorefield put in a strong showing this year, I'll be first to admit that club scene in Kildare is in better shape than we thought.

Eire Og is a straw man... The winter before 98, when Kildare reached AI final, Clane were in Leinster club final and took Erin's Isle to a replay. There is no downside to a strong club championship, which I still contend we don't have.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 am

I think you have to count the time of year that the clubs championships are played there is a huge difference playing in the summer and playing in the winter this time of the year you have to dig in and grind out results it suits some team. I would say that any of our top club teams would give any of the top Dublins teams a run for there money in summer football.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 am

jobluts wrote:
the club scene in the county is poor.1reason I think is the set up .16 senior teams like come on there are possibly 8 genuine senior clubs .Their are clubs celebrating staying senior.It won't happen but the county board need to regrade all of the championship s

So Moorefield, Sarsfields etc will suddenly get stronger if you take away half the teams? Shocked

steviegenius wrote:
I think you have to count the time of year that the clubs championships are played there is a huge difference playing in the summer and playing in the winter this time of the year you have to dig in and grind out results it suits some team. I would say that any of our top club teams would give any of the top Dublins teams a run for there money in summer football.

I agree. The evidence is there in how the county team gives Dublin a run for their money in summer football.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:22 pm

I think there is definitely something in the time of year argument ...

Im aware it sounds like excuse setting (as the top teams always find a way to win regardless of weather etc and its the same for all teams) but sometimes clubs just aren't suited to heavy winter football and all that comes with it.

I was as shocked as any that sarsfields were overturned last year, a desperate display that had ambush written all over it from the moment you arrived in Drogheda. I think in summer sarsfields would have won that game 8 or 9 times out of ten but a pissy day on an away pitch when you are lacking a bit of steel will see you turned over.

Im with Sam on this one, most teams are relatively even in leinster outside Dublin. Theres no way our championship is in a worse state than Laois, Meath, Offaly etc. The fact we had 4 or 5 teams who no one could predict a winner from at least means that its competitive.

Unfortunately we aren't and never have been a top tier club county in terms of provincial and dismal results of Raheens and Ballymore have added to the argument of us having a poor club standard but I don't think our club teams are in any worse shape than anywhere else in Leinster (bar the obvious)
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:53 am

In order to please some people on here and save Kildare club footballs reputation Moorefield are expected to beat Portlaoise in Portlaoise and then most likely Vincents in a semi final. As much as I support my club its going to take something extra special to achieve that. It wont be for the want of trying though thats for sure and I have no doubt the tanks will be emptied.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 am

Am I right in saying that the last time Moorefield played a Leinster Senior Club game in Newbridge was 2007.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:07 am

If they beat Portlaoise Sam then most people would be happy. They don't need to feel that the reputation of club football in the county depends on the result and I'm sure they don't.
Don't think they will miss the 2 players that much and it's a great opportunity for younger guys to step up.
Actually think they will win if they don't concede goals.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:43 am

I think the current championship structure is great for the amount of teams in it. But would agree there is a big disparity between teams. Naas would limped out at quarter final stage beat Eadestown by 30 odd points in first round. Eadestown didn't even get relagated. That's not even the best playing the worst. There were other hammerings in there too. I'd bring it down to at least 12 teams if not 8 or 10. Keep inter at 16 and make junior A bigger to make that more competitive.

If you'd a smaller number of entries structure could be changed and we'd get more big games throughout the year and our champions would be better set and more battle hardened for Leinster.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
Am I right in saying that the last time Moorefield played a Leinster Senior Club game in Newbridge was 2007.

Yes think thats correct. The infamous row against Dromard earned Moorefield a home ban for their next campaign but we haven't had a home game since.

For the record Moorefields results in Leinster since then :

2010 : Lost away to Portlaoise
2013 : Won away versus St. Martins of Wexford and lost away to Portlaoise
2014 : Won away to Rathnew and lost away to Rhode

2011 : Athy beat Edenderry and Old Leighlin and lost to Garrycastle ..not sure where these were played
2012 : Sarsfields beat St Pats of Louth at Home? and lost to Ballymun away?
2015 : Sarsfields lost away to Portlaoise
2016 : Sarsfields lost away to Louth champions.

Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Athy beat Edenderry in Newbridge and Athy lost to garrycastle in Newbridge
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 pm

I think Ballymun beat Sarsfields in Newbridge in 2012
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 am

I think we can mix it with all counties in Leinster bar Dublin.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 am

Deferred coverage on tg4 Sunday.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 am

Eanna O'Connor surely worth another look with the senior panel, some win by Moorefield.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 am

Semi-Finals.
Rathnew-Moorefield
St Loman's-Simonstown

An afternoon is a long time in club football. From not being good enough to favourites to win it... I'm off to eat my hat.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 am

Well done Moorefield and well done Rathnew!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 am

Wickow club football must be very strong...

Fantastic win for Moorefield. Portlaois already had an eye on Vincent's and always nice for any Kildare team to beat a Laois one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster club championship    

Back to top Go down

Leinster club championship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next