Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

O Bryne cup 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 pm

While it may only be the OB Cup, the disappointing thing is that for the new Fellas in and the other Squad Members the OB CUP is probably the only opportunity they will get to show what they have.. As it's unlikely they'll get chances in the League.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Tommy, no way would I go as far as saying get rid of the manager but I do question how he deals with lads who continue to make the same mistakes. Currently whatever he is doing is not working and if it continues the team cant improve.
I honestly don't see how we have a chance of staying in Div 1. That is not being hard on them but I think really we got to Div 1 a year or two too early. We are there now and we have to make the most of it. If that means we don't win games then so be in but we have to learn and that is not something we have being doing well in recent times.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 pm

O Byrne Cup lads losing there heads on the 3rd of January because Kildare didnt hit the ground running give me a break lads come on its like last year the year before the year before that Deja Vu get a grip lads
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm

A little write up. Called it as I saw it without hopefully “losing the head”.

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/louth-and-clear-lots-of-work-to-do-for-kildare/
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:07 am

Great write-up K365... Hmm, doesn't seem like any of the new boys were up to much. Disappointing on that front but hopefully a few of them will find their groove during glamour tie with Longford.

On a side note, there aren't nearly enough substitutions in these games. I think we should aim for a minimum of 60 per match - two for every starting player. Only the 20 in this one - surely we can do better!

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08 am

Good assessment 365.
No one getting carried away Stevie, but for Lads hoping to impress it was poor.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 am

Another side note but has Peter Kelly ever been the same player since 2010? At his peak, he's exactly the kind of player we're looking for but he's never really had a sustained run of form since his All Star year...
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 am

Had we won by 8 or 9 it would have been as meaningless as the defeat last night. Bad performance by the sounds of it but I don't believe it will be of any real significance for upcoming league games. Hard for new guys to stand out in a cobbled together team on a bad night
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 am

O'Neill did put forward a gruelling training session as some sort of excuse plus Louth had more training and a game at the weekend. Will withhold judgement until the next game but a massive improvement needed.
We've taken this competition seriously in recent years and it has not had much relevance come the league. Don't despair yet, it's a long season hopefully.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 am

At least we now know our strength in depth is at the shallow end of the pool!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 am

Years gone by I would worry, but it matters little if anything. A pick 'n mix of a team which never got going on a aeful January night.

The one thing I was interested in was Cian's comments about players who had been there for as long as him and before him. The writing could be on the wall for a few lads and not the new fellas either.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Must be better options around the county that what was on show on wednesday..
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:41 pm

bigball wrote:
Must be better options around the county that what was on show on wednesday..

Any suggestions my Friend  ?.
Some Fellas in there a while now not gonna make it.. even some of the new faces on view have been in before.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:20 am

I could name plenty who would be no worse than some of the lads. Im not havin a go but wednesday was awful stuff
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 am

Name them then.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:40 am

Padraig Fogarty. Theres one
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:12 am

bigball wrote:
Padraig Fogarty. Theres one

Thought you were going to give us more than one there the way you were talking the alternatives were obvious and they'd roll of your tongue (although I do agree with the one that did). Fogarty though has had fitness issues and I'm not close enough to know how he is physically now. If fit.. I'd have him in all day long.

Anyone else? I don't see enough club games although I did see the SFC semis and finals and two of Moores Leinster games. Once they're ready I'd have James Murray and Mark Dempsey in. Other than that the addition of Luke Flynn and Jimmy Hyland in particular were the obvious ones for me so I'm delighted they're now there. But who knows whether either will make it at senior level?
Back to top Go down
MD
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:34 am

Whilst it is always good to win no matter what the competition is, I would not be judging any player on a O'Byrne cup outing. Nothing is won (or lost) in January. League is most important for us, win our home games should keep us safe and I would be confident of us getting 3 out of the 4 at home. Let's see how we get on with the away games. I guarantee you if we play Louth in our Leinster opener, the score will be quite different.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 am

John O Neill Confey John o Toole Monastervin Liam McGovern Athy Tony Archbold Celbridge Dave Hughes Celbridge Barry Coffey Sarsfields Colm Chan Confey Conor Brophy Celbridge Mark Barrett Ballymore David Duke kilcock Eoin o Flathery Carbury Jack Robinson Clogherinkoe
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 am

Fair play at least you named names. O'Flaherty is out by his own choice to my understanding so that's a bit unfair on the selectors. I've only seen about half of the others play of late but I wouldn't put any of them ahead of what's on the panel. Maybe Robinson who is a real talent but maybe too light at this stage.

Three Celbridge lads in there - nothing against each individually but did you see how Celbridge caved in to 13 man Moorefield a couple of months ago? I wouldn't be loading the team up with more of them to be honest.

Honestly don't think there's a hidden well of talent out there that improves us much. It's about getting the best out of each player as individuals and coaching them well in a tactical plan that maximises their impact. After that we need players with guts, character and a cool head. The more I watch the more I despair of the latter aspect.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:45 am

Take out excuses and fitness issues, are there any lads out there you could say HAVE to be in there? Forget about being given a chance, at county level you take your chance. Lads playing club football in Kildare taking every chance in front of Roli and O'Neill to give them no choice but to call them in.
Lads who are then called in take their chance so the manager has no choice, they simply HAVE to be given a jersey. Then when they get that jersey they HAVE to start the next day because they are playing so well...
Can we say Podge Fogarty did that down the years? I am just using him an example as I know his name comes up a lot here. I think he is solid but he never took the decision out of any manager's hands.
Slattery was not touted here but obviously played so well in training that he was put in and then was kept in because he took his chance. O'Neill fancied him more than P Cribbin by the end of the year. Who would have thought that.
These lads in the OB Cup fringes need to do that or forget it for another year. That is the bottom line.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Team v Longford

Mark Donnellan

Peter Kelly
Mick O'Grady
Mark Hyland

Ailin McDermott
Eoin Doyle
Cian O'Donoghue

Kevin Feely
Tommy Moolick

Ruadhan O Giollain
Pascal Connell
Paul Cribbin

Jimmy Hyland
Eamon Callaghan
Eoin Lawless
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 am

Very defensive looking Team.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:15 am

Don’t understand P Kelly getting another full game rather than give namesake Mikey another chance to show what he’s got. Surely Cian knows everything there is to know about Peter.

Anyone know what the story is with Niall Kelly, Dan Flynn and Paddy Brophy... their absence from both line-ups a bit worrying with Dublin on the horizon.

Still plenty of interesting aspects to the line-up..looking forward to seeing Jimmy in a senior outing. McLoughlin found it very hard going on Wednesday showing it’s quite a step up even at O’Byrne Cup
level.

If Hyland doesn’t make it at senior level I’ll be surprised.

Ps. Kevin Feely has three black cards within 12 months now (again).. anyone know why he’s not suspended? O’Byrne Cup not count perhaps?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 am

Not sure I would call that full back line defensive Seamus!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   

Back to top Go down

O Bryne cup 2018
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next