Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

O Bryne cup 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 am

murof wrote:
Last year I got upset after our best team lost to Dublin third team. A few weeks later we were top of Div 2 and heading for promotion.
We have a few weeks to sort things out before our first winnable game at home. Let's keep the faith until the real football starts.

Rational me agrees - and Rational Me wrote my match reports this week.

Emotional me (“the fan”) is absolutely bulling about the spiritless ineptitude on display this week and I’m left with the nagging feeling that we have the most spineless, brainless footballers in the country. That’s three such performances in a row and 4 in 7 if you go back to the League Final.

I honestly don’t think we’re good enough for Div 1 football but at least we’ll get a chance to find out.

Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:07 am

Round towers had a number of fine young footballers over the past few years but none of thrm seem to be on Cians radar. Matt kelly looked like he could make it
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:44 am

Ps I sincerely hope the players and management don’t have the same defeatist attitude as some on here about playing the Dubs. First match is the time to play them. We saw the same with Donegal in 2013 when they were champions. Team should approach it the same as they did the Leinster Final and give it a real rattle. If we go in expecting a thumping and in some sort of damage limitation exercise we’ll get the hammering we’re expecting and it won’t do anything for our confidence. Think we should be putting everything into actually beating the cnuts finally up there in the Big House.

I don’t think we have players with that mindset though and I’m not convinced Cian is much of a motivator if I’m honest. Seems too cerebral and level-headed at times. Hope I’m wrong.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Niall Kelly is on holiday in Thailand
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks for another honest Report 365.. but very depressing.
Jimmy has been having HS issues a while now.

It looks like we're working out of a small pool of Players again, as nobody has really shown from the new faces, and are unlikely to get to many more chances.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Surely the new players won't be judged solely on one game in the O'Byrne Cup? Will performance in training not matter at least as much?
Would we have noticed Slattery at this time last year? Hopefully Cian will use the extra 2 weeks to get some real improvement in fitness and tactics and aggression.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Cian said as much murof.. yes performance in training and the couple of challenges will be taken into account.

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Training games would be more important than 2 OBC games in 1St week of January. People overreacting in exactly the same way as last year. Some of it is hilarious. Copy and Paste job. Have a read for the craic. Nobody should care less about the OBC.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 am

The results never bother me this time of the year, even the performance doesn't really worry me but what really worries me is the lack of effort especially by our more established players.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 am

Teams like the Meaths offalys Longford Louths etc use the O Byrne cup to get some momentum for the League after having a bad year last year Kildare did it for a number of years. What matters most and I say O Neill and the players talked about this is being ready for the first round of the league. When Aaron o Neill (Carbury) starts in goals for Kildare and hasn't played for his club yet at senior that to me says it all.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 am

Stevie, what makes us so different from the Meaths, Offalys, Longford and Louths? Is it all the trophies we have won in the last 20 years or just the ones we won in the last 5? No let me guess its because we only lost by 9 points to Dublin in the Championship.....

A lot is being made of that game to Dublin this time last year. Yes we lost the game but anyone at it will tell you we played well for 50 minutes and then "lost our way" and let a team that was not as good as us beat us. Funny enough but to me that was pretty much the same as the League Final and the Armagh game. We were better but they won.

Nobody on here believes that winning the O Byrne Cup will make your season, just like losing it wont end it either but for me its how you play, both as a team and individually. If you cant perform properly 90% of the time you play then how are you going to be able to perform when your back is to the wall and you have to win a game? You play well in a silly O Byrne Cup game, win or lose, then you have a better chance of playing well in Croke Park when it matters. Playing well often is what gives you the chance to play good when you have to.

I do believe we have a team that can push on and do something good but what gets at me, and others I think, is when you see lads not giving it even 50% let alone 80-90%.

We have won nothing of note in 18 years and until we do I for one don't believe we have a right to be half arsed about any competition.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:05 am

Meaningless competition which will hopefully be scrapped in the near future. Glad we're out. On to the real stuff.
Back to top Go down
maccie
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 am

Plenty of work needed after the performance yesterday v Longford.
Kildare looked like they would win easily when O Donoghue, Flynn and Cribben ran at them at speed ,but this stopped in 2nd half.
My observations for what they are worth
1.Longford went short with kick outs all day, got possession on 13 of 15 kick outs. Roly was screaming at forwards to push up but to no avail. Tactics needs to be develop by forward line and midfield to counter short kick outs.
2.Kildare lost too many of their own kickouts, poor on breaking ball , thought the goalie took too long to set up and little or no movement from receivers. Feely cannot always catch clean and support players need to read breaks..
3.Players cannot seem to kick accurately from back line and midfield when running with ball. The amount of ball kicked away to Longford defenders was soul destroying.
4.Full forward line rarely get the ball with current Kildare tactics of running with ball. No point in throwing novices in there when only ball are hard balls to win. Lawless and Hyland had two possession in game.Lawless scored good point and hit wide.Hyland lost first ball and got a right slap in face when he won other one. BTW no hits on other end until Dave Hyland came on
5.Lads need to man up and win hard ball, too much pulling back for my liking.
6.Defenders are much to lose and Lognford got points with little or no pressure on kicks.
7.4 Longford goal chances when last defender got isolated and was beaten by forward. Sweeper doing little or nothing, no physicality in backline.
8. Too much talk back, 2 frees moved forward due to mouthing and sarcastic hand clapping from same player.
9.Fitness issues with 2 or 3 established players who were off pace.
10.Little or No scores in first 10 minutes of each half v Longford or Louth. Not acceptable at any level.

All of the above can be worked on in training but players and management need to be on same wavelength and anyone not following instructions needs to get curly finger or go home and think about it.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am

All good points Maccie - great contribution for only your fifth post. Keep the posts coming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Bryne cup 2018   

Back to top Go down

O Bryne cup 2018
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4