Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Championship re-structure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship re-structure   Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 am

Bigball I hadn't seen you relegated Kill Ellistown and Kilcullen
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship re-structure   Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Individual clubs wouldn't have a say if the proposals were passed at board / convention level. We have seen it in hurling at inter-county level, when counties that had secured promotion under one structure, never got to go up because of a change and those due to be relegated never went down because of a change.

The divisional thing is a good idea in theory but I don't think comparing Cork and Kerry to Kildare is comparing like with like. You have recognised divisions - you have divisional boards that run their own competitions. YOu know you're Muskerry, you know you're Carrigdhoun, you know you're East Kerry - you've been playing in the competitions all your life. There's North Board, South Board in Kildare for Bord na nÓg but that's not the same obviously.

So there is no tie there. And even at that - some of the divisional teams are competitive, some are not. It adds another layer too of demand on players in terms of training, matches.

The positive is that it might give a lad from a junior club that hasn't come through the development system or fell through the cracks, a chance to be seen and to perform at a higher level. I'd say it's why so many people from junior clubs always played for Cork and Kerry in both codes, although second and third level GAA played a big role in that too.

Always good to get the debate going. For me, it's never a good sign to have more teams in the top tier than the bottom tier.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Championship re-structure   Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 pm

All this is meaningless anyway. You can do what you like with the championship, it will make fuck all difference since Croke Park decided to throw club football under a bus and have it relegated to April and then September onwards. That's all four of the best months in the year solely dedicated to intercounty football and hurling.

Also, regarding bigball's idea, it seems like a huge amount of change just to give clubs one more game. We tried the round robin groups of four in the past and it resulted in boring league type football. At least with the current format, all matches have a feeling of proper championship about them.

I still think there's a lot to be said for straight knock out. Every year in the depths of winter the provincial club football and hurling championships provide excellent entertainment and because it's proper knock out football, you get weekends where the likes of St Vincents and Portlaoise are knocked out on the same day. Round robins, back doors and qualifiers do nothing only destroy a championship and give second chances to the big teams.

Having said that, regardless of the structure, I'd fully support having divisional teams. Every footballer (or hurler) in the county should have the opportunity to play senior championship if they're good enough.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship re-structure   Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 am

Comparatively speaking we havnt got that many football clubs in Kildare so we need each and every club from Moorefield to Kildangan operating to their full potential if we ever want our county teams to be all ireland contenders. Might proposal works towards this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Championship re-structure   

Back to top Go down

Championship re-structure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2