Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Micko documentary

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Micko documentary   Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:43 am

Anyone see the documentary, absolutely brilliant...Legend of a man. Great to see Anthony and Willie on it too. Hope we see them days again.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:55 am

Will we ever see the county decked out in white like that again? I remember it like it was yesterday. Every town village and country lane had flags and bunting. Great times.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 am

Jaysus Rainbow looks like he could tog out for the Seniors still! Willie McCreery still a savage of a man. His workrate on the field is what the current crop should learn from. Legends. As for Micko - you can see how inspirational he was to our lads and to his Kerry teams. Always striving for the best out of his players no matter what.

Didn't realise how involved Karl is with Laurences. Can anyone shed any light on this? He was some man for a score when our need was greatest. He came to the summer camps when I was a kid around 98/00 era and I always remember when he showed us his football boots - one Puma and one Adidas!
The excitement when we would hear in school that Karl or Glenn or Rainbow were coming to the GAA or visiting the school was unbelievable. Safe to say I, like many others worshipped the ground those men stood on.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Great documentary last night alright. Sometimes i felt sad and then happy again. I dont think we will ever see the likes of 98 again as bigball said I remember if it was yesterday great times. Hopefully if some of the current players were watching will get something little out of it to show what is needed.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Who was the chancer that hid in the trees on braveheart hill?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

It's a pity Micko never got to Manage the Ireland Rules Team.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:31 am

Jesus just finished that and would bring a tear to your eye. Involved in 21 all Ireland finals !!! Incredible .. what a man. A legend. Those 98 images are so nostalgic.. will we ever see them again. Barely a Galway man to be seen on the hill that day. The one that got away
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am

Only time I've stood on the Hill in my life. Never want to go back. The desolation afterwards was the lowest I've ever felt supporting a team. And that's without even knowing it would take a minimum of 20 years to get back there. My first child was born that summer and she's in first year of university now...
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 am

I really enjoyed it. But found it funny when he went on about not getting paid as much as people thought.......?
As he said himself. He started out as a mechanic. Bought that. Then bought undertakers. Then bought and renovated Hotel. He must of got his money from somewhere to do that. lol.

Great to see the old memories and am dieing to know who hid in the trees. haha.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am

Brilliant documentary. The man is a total one-off, there's no one like him. His ability to inspire and get the best of players, never seen anything like it. When you think of the sheer joy his teams bought to people over the years, it's incredible. They built a statue of him in Waterville and we should probably do the same in Kildare.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

A thoroughly enjoyable hour of television. If only you could bottle the man's enthusiasm, positivity and attitude to life.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Whatever He got paid more luck to Him.. lol when he organised advertising revenue for the Players, and got fined a few hundred.

I see (its all about me) Wolly out defending the Laois Players and rubishing Mickos reasons for leaving Laois. Sack.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Whatever He got paid more luck to Him.. lol when he organised advertising revenue for the Players, and got fined a few hundred.

I see (its all about me) Wolly out defending the Laois Players and rubishing Mickos reasons for leaving Laois. Sack.

Woolly carved a career for himself from one interview slagging off Micko, establishing the 'I call it as I see it' rep that is vital to make it in sports 'analysis' 'commentary' 'punditry' nowadays.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 am

Don't want to turn this into a thread about Colm Parkinson, but have to defend him here. If you listen to the latest GAA podcast, he is very complimentary about the programme and gives Micko full credit for the impact he had on Laois. He had his disagreements with him but to say he doesn't have massive respect for his achievements is wrong.

Also have to strongly disagree with the comments about him as a pundit - The GAA Hour is by some distance the best GAA programme around. Also lively and provocative and essential listening. Also has a great irreverent sense of humour otherwise entirely lacking in GAA coverage. Keith Duggan actually did a very good appreciation of it last year.

Anyway, just wanted to say that. I won't be commenting anymore about Parkinson on this thread. Back to Micko.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 am

Agree about the GAA hour - only podcast I bother with. Rest of Sportsjoe content absolute horse manure.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Yeah - that's true, rest of SportsJoe (and indeed Joe.ie generally) is woeful. The GAA Hour is a diamond in the rough in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 am

Have to agree with those comments re Gaa Hour. Parkinson is a rogue and so was Micko so the personalities clashed on a few occasions. Don't know what to make of Wolly, bit of a bullshitter but hard not to like him.... kinda.. afro
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:00 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Don't want to turn this into a thread about Colm Parkinson, but have to defend him here. If you listen to the latest GAA podcast, he is very complimentary about the programme and gives Micko full credit for the impact he had on Laois. He had his disagreements with him but to say he doesn't have massive respect for his achievements is wrong.

Also have to strongly disagree with the comments about him as a pundit - The GAA Hour is by some distance the best GAA programme around. Also lively and provocative and essential listening. Also has a great irreverent sense of humour otherwise entirely lacking in GAA coverage. Keith Duggan actually did a very good appreciation of it last year.

Anyway, just wanted to say that. I won't be commenting anymore about Parkinson on this thread. Back to Micko.

He called Micko a bluffer. On two separate occasions. And then he got a job. Maybe he's rowed back now.

However, I agree on his analysis during games, was surprised how much I found myself agreeing with him and he's good on calling a lot of the problems in the GAA. I've met him a few times and got on grand with him. Just hated that on Micko and subsequently on Andriú Mac.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Micko documentary   

Back to top Go down

Micko documentary
Page 1 of 1