Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:53 am

They might be a seasoned Div 1 team but on the way out and we are supposed to be on way up. Basically, this year we are supposed to be moving towards being top eight team. Today we showed we are still a 9-14 team losing at home to another 9-14 team.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Who are the eight/nine counties better than Monaghan? They've won two Ulster titles and been in division one a fair while now.
To me they'd be sixth or seventh behind Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone and Donegal.
Though I agree it's a match we needed to win.
Back to top Go down
kildareking
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:26 pm

manager lacks passion and energy, no bite. his interviews are well spoken and use the finest of english but not worth a shite, he spreads that onto the players and u can see it, no aggression, passion... players should feed off the manager ....totally different to micko,geezer ect....too much of this proffesional shite...
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Well that was depressing. Not seeing anything different in this Kildare team in terms of drive, energy, passion, heart..call it whatever you want. To be honest the county players didn't show it in the club championship and donning the white (or green) seems to make no difference.

We were utterly clueless once we hit their 45. Backwards, sideways, into corners, passing the buck. Awful stuff. Monaghan didn't do anything special to win in our backyard yesterday. Whatever about their track record I believe division 2 teams and maybe even division 3 teams could have beaten us on that performance yesterday.

I'm not holding out much hope for us. Hope I'm wrong but there is a serious amount of work to be done there. Can't see 3 wins out of Tyrone,Donegal, Kerry, Galway and Mayo to keep us up. Yes its all doom and gloom this morning. No apologies.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: To Kildarekick   Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I agree, we lost a match yesterday that we could have won. Staying in Division 1 looks doubtful, and yes, all those lost free kick opportunities will haunt us for a long time. I imagine that the lads there on the pitch know that more than anyone..                                     What annoys the hell out of me is seeing stupid comments as the one written this morning by Kildarekick. How does O´Neill lack passion? The fact that he doesn't go on KFM ranting and raving? The fact that he defends his players when it is required? The fact that he speaks well and that he is articulate and professional?  How is that lacking passion. You don't have a clue what you are talking about unless you are at training every evening with the team? Cop yourself on and stop talking crap!  He is the best that Kildare have and will have for a long time yet. Do you honestly think that people are queuing up to manage Kildare?  Or are you still referring to past football players that have big ambitions to manage but very little substance and proven ability to manage? Come back down to earth! And yes, he is totally different to Micko and Geezer however having said that there is no way I would ever compare Geezer to Micko anyway, there is no contest!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Yes, would have to second Snowwhite there – Jim Gavin, Stephen Rochford and Eamon Fitzmaurice are hardly renowned for their incendiary interviews.

Anyway, to be positive *clutches at straws* we're joint bottom with Donegal and Tyrone. If we can win our home games and maybe beat Donegal away, we'd be safe. A LOT easier said than done of course.

On the evidence so far, we're maybe a bit short of quality and lack that real hard edge Div 1 teams have. I would put Dublin and Kerry a level above us but I think we can compete hard with everyone else. If Brophy's shot had have gone over yesterday we might singing a different tune. Also, on that note – I'm sorry but Callaghan is past it. He had a chance to level it yesterday and his effort was abysmal, comical. What is he adding these days?!

McCormack and Flynn are cursed with injuries. Have to say Donnellan had a stormer yesterday. Anyway, on to next weekend... Let's throw the kitchen sink at it and see where it gets us.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Tyrone in top 4 in country for last few years, now way down pecking order id say similar to kildare a lot of young players beaten in same fashion by the dubs my opinion its a 50/50 game home advantage to us if we get rid of fear factor id expect to beat them , kildare crowd need to get behind team big time
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 pm

If we'd tidied up on a few aspects yesterday we should have won that game comfortably: frees a total disaster; Cribben - who was having a stormer - gets an idiotic black card; Callaghan's lamentable attempt at an equaliser.

Such are the margins in Div 1.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 pm

One aspect we're going to have to focus on for the next week – beating a blanket defence. Dubs have mastered it, playing it around the fringes and then popping it off to the runner breaking through. There were times yesterday we got swallowed up too easily. It takes a lot of practice but if we're serious about being a top team, it's another tool we need in our armoury.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:54 pm

The more I think about it... If we can beat Tyrone, that's one relegation slot taken care of. Then we just need to knock out one other team in a Hunger Games style. Beating Donegal might be enough to do it.

Anyway getting ahead of myself. Full steam ahead for Sunday!
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Definitely HG you are a tonic to read after a disappointment - you have a way of finding the silver lining to the darkest cloud! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:08 pm

I hate being overly negative so I want to call out that O'Donoghue chap at wing back yesterday. I thought he was excellent. I also thought Ben McCormack showed well and looked like a good option in the full forward line.

Now the other thing that was obvious to me yesterday was our lack of running into space to give options to the player on the ball. Too many times it was a case of laying off the pass and now my work is done. Similar to that a few bursts from the backs (which usually included our half forward line and midfield) into space around midfield or the opposing 45 would have given the man on the ball an out ball and would have totally opened up the Monaghan defence. Nobody seemed willing to push forward when those type of runs were on. Who is taking leadership and responsibility. Where is the flair ? and lads thinking on their feet? The natural stuff that should come to any footballer?... Is it being drilled out of lads in the modern game with so much focus on tactics. Kildare are not alone in this regard.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 pm

White Bridge wrote:
Definitely HG you are a tonic to read after a disappointment - you have a way of finding the silver lining to the darkest cloud! Very Happy

It's the hope that kills us White Bridge!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Think the hard edge is a good point. Look at the way influential players have got heavy knocks the past two games. Division One teams are ruthless and we need to be too if we’re going to survive against them.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Definitely... Look at Monaghan yesterday, dark arts very much to the fore. Jersey-pulling, trips, blocking runs, digs off the ball, not to mention going in to do some one when the chance arises... It's what you need at the top level.
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:34 am

Certain for relegation now...division 1 has come too soon for this panel..id expect them to be stronger come the championship..the year is not a complete write off yet.. I'm presuming Cian is on a three year deal?? A relegation and a bad championship and he could be under pressure
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 am

Meath top of Div 2.. What a crap Monday.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Definitely... Look at Monaghan yesterday, dark arts very much to the fore. Jersey-pulling, trips, blocking runs, digs off the ball, not to mention going in to do some one when the chance arises... It's what you need at the top level.
Monaghan play borderline at times were streetwise yesterday
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 am

Deeply frustrating to lose another game that was there for us going into the latter stages. Monaghan were just that little bit more streetwise than us and always managed to keep their noses just in front. That said, the last free for McManus was an absolute joke.

Plenty of room for improvement in certain areas. I agree that we need to look at Conway's role again. He's too peripheral in recent games. Discipline is another area that needs to be addressed. Paul Cribbin should have way too much experience to be picking up a needless black card like that. Had he stayed on the field we might have won because he was probably good for another long range point or two given how he started. Feely didn't bring his shooting boots. Those missed frees can drain the life out of a team and give the opposition confidence. Daniel Flynn also had a bit of an off day. If Brophy is fit for next Sunday rotating himself and Flynn between 11 and 14 should be experimented with.

On the plus side, O'Donoghue and McCormack had fine games for two relatively new players. Paul Cribbin had started very well before his moment of madness. Niall Kelly was good off the bench and will add a lot to our attack if he starts ahead of McNally next Sunday. I thought our backs performed fairly ok for the most part. The pass for the Monaghan goal was top class and it certainly wasn't as soft a goal to concede as either of the two against Dublin.

We're long odds on for the drop now which isn't ideal but we will learn far more this season than in any of the previous three. That performance yesterday would have been enough against Clare, Down, Fermanagh and the likes and our players would not have learned anything. If this team wants to progress, it needs to take these harsh lessons on board and start learning from them.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 am

I think O'Neill has this thing this year where he wants to finish with a stronger team, hence N Kelly and Brophy coming off the bench... I'm sick looking at McNally to be honest - he's been living off that Meath game for nine months. Would possibly start Slattery in his place. The injures to our full forward line are driving me mad – we've had no consistency for the past year. Anyway, suppose we have to get on with it but if McCormack is fit for next weekend would be a hell of a boost.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 am

Starting with these 6 Forwards on Sunday might do the trick.
Slattery, D Flynn. P Cribben.
Ben Mac. Brophy. N Kelly.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Terrible result after a reasonable display, we just don't seem to be able to hack it in this division and I will be very surprised but delighted if we can win one game in this years league.
Just an afterthought, didn't the mighty Div4 team Carlow almost beat these lads in the championship last year... just sayin' like..
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Forum member White Bridge did a nice match report on the Monaghan game for the kildaregaa365 website.

Read it here:

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/kildare-0-12-monaghan-1-10-guest-contributor-white-bridge-on-another-lesson-for-lilywhites/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Monaghan, 4 Feb
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: