Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Relegation battle remaining fixtures

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 am

Ogie wrote:
kildaregaa365 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
It also puts it into perspective when people are comparing levels of performances and talking about losing runs etc.

The losing run is against teams from across 3 divisions. What’s your point?

We had this discussion already on Twitter! The point is, that in my opinion, evaluating a loss in Division 1 on the same level asa win in Division 2 or a win over Meath in the championship just doesn't make sense - that the loss is probably a better performance -  that the run includes the last two championship games, one of those against the best team in the land for the last few years -  six months of inactivity  - and games against teams that are competing at a higher level for longer in terms of Division 1 and their provincial / All-Ireland championships. It is not a stat that has any value when trotted out. It doesn't mean anything only to garner a reaction or make a headline. Like the Moorefield are cowards stuff because they lose an All-Ireland semi-final by a goal to the former champions, even though Kildare teams have been in two All-Ireland semi-finals ever, and Moorefield have clearly shown time and again, that they are not cowards and have clearly gotten the absolute best out of themselves this century.

That is just my opinion. I have proven time and again that I have no more clue than any other man. But my opinion hasn't changed which is why I post less. Don't want to be boring people, even if it's what I do for a living. But despite what I do for a living, I hate the modus operandi of trolling for a reaction. Because reacting to one game or one result has no bearing on reality. As a racing man, I would say you have to look at the form in the book over a period of time. Anyway, nothing you've not seen me write before.

Trolling for a reaction? First time I've been accused of that I think. Not impressed with that suggestion frankly. "you have to look at the form book over time" -- what period of time makes sense to you if 7 games isn't long enough? I think losing 7 games in a row is a very valid statistic in the same way that Dublin winning 7 in a row would be seen as such.

I didn't call Moorefield cowards either. That was one of your journalistic brethren. Worst I called them was "ordinary players" which was in the context of them over-achieving compared to teams with more "star quality". Also said I didn't expect them to beat Corofin beforehand.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:38 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
kildaregaa365 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
It also puts it into perspective when people are comparing levels of performances and talking about losing runs etc.

The losing run is against teams from across 3 divisions. What’s your point?

We had this discussion already on Twitter! The point is, that in my opinion, evaluating a loss in Division 1 on the same level asa win in Division 2 or a win over Meath in the championship just doesn't make sense - that the loss is probably a better performance -  that the run includes the last two championship games, one of those against the best team in the land for the last few years -  six months of inactivity  - and games against teams that are competing at a higher level for longer in terms of Division 1 and their provincial / All-Ireland championships. It is not a stat that has any value when trotted out. It doesn't mean anything only to garner a reaction or make a headline. Like the Moorefield are cowards stuff because they lose an All-Ireland semi-final by a goal to the former champions, even though Kildare teams have been in two All-Ireland semi-finals ever, and Moorefield have clearly shown time and again, that they are not cowards and have clearly gotten the absolute best out of themselves this century.

That is just my opinion. I have proven time and again that I have no more clue than any other man. But my opinion hasn't changed which is why I post less. Don't want to be boring people, even if it's what I do for a living. But despite what I do for a living, I hate the modus operandi of trolling for a reaction. Because reacting to one game or one result has no bearing on reality. As a racing man, I would say you have to look at the form in the book over a period of time. Anyway, nothing you've not seen me write before.

Trolling for a reaction?  First time I've been accused of that I think. Not impressed with that suggestion frankly.  "you have to look at the form book over time" -- what period of time makes sense to you if 7 games isn't long enough?  I think losing 7 games in a row is a very valid statistic in the same way that Dublin winning 7 in a row would be seen as such.

I didn't call Moorefield cowards either. That was one of your journalistic brethren.  Worst I called them was "ordinary players" which was in the context of them over-achieving compared to teams with more "star quality".  Also said I didn't expect them to beat Corofin beforehand.

Where did I say you were trolling for a reaction K365? I was just responding to you asking me what my point was. Maybe you thought my first post was having a go at you in some way? I wasn't. As I say, I post rarely here now because I've nothing new to say with regard to how I view things and have said it many times. But you had no place in my thoughts. Indeed, we have had plenty civil exchanges here and on Twitter - I respect what you're doing with the website and while nobody agrees on everything, have always respected that your views and opinions are reasoned, thoughtful and not loud and very definitely not trolling or intentionally over the top. In fact we have agreed on plenty. Sorry if for some reason you thought I was aiming a few barrels at you - I most definitely wasn't, and honestly, don't know where you would have interpreted that it was as there was no possible way I could have had you in mind. Anyway, hope that clears that up.

Re the seven games - are you counting O'Byrne Cup? I would not consider those games in any way relevant as we know from all the times Kildare have won it. You're talking five games and there was one poor effort in that, which is undeniable. And I'm just saying that if Kildare were still in Division 2, that run may or may not be in existence but would they be in any better place if they had won three in a row? Because Kildare are operating in graded class now rather than in handicap company and performing creditably there too.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Now, back into my bunker!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Ok Ogie. Just me being over-sensitive then.

I take your point re the run of losses. Maybe 7 defeats in div 1 would be better than 7 wins in Div 2.

However my point about the current run is that it's been against teams of all standards and across all competitions (yes I include two OBC games which were quite abject). I don't think any team with designs on being taken seriously loses 7 games in a row even if they're seven challenge games. It's our worst run in almost 40 years and there's been some bad ones through that period.

But hey let's see where we are at the end of the league. Hopefully it won't have stretched to 11 games. Confidence has to be taking something of a hit even if we're getting close to wins.

My guess is we'll eke out 2 or 3 points at most but maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

I'm not going to use the derogatory language of others but there is an undeniable inability to win close games that this team needs to overcome soon. Indeed Kildare football needs to lose that trait.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 pm

We'll all agree on that last point, particularly against teams of their own level.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:35 am

Definitely when it comes to close games, the jury is out on this bunch. Reviewing the final moments of Tyrone game from when Feely pointed free, it was lamentable stuff to be honest. Two golden opportunities to win but some dreadful play from Cribbin and Healy cost us.

There is no way Dublin, Kerry or Mayo would have lost that game given the same set of circumstances, and in that sense Tomas O Se's almighty slating was justified. I'll be honest – if I had to call it now, I don't think this team will become a top four team because that sort of quality and composure is usually innate in teams and I don't think you can really coach it. Hone it, yes – but not coach it. Anyway, if they have designs on going higher they'd want to start showing it because they have enough experience at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 am

I tend to agree HG .. as much as it pains me to admit it ... I really hope I’m proven wrong but until our golden generation of Kelly , brophy , cribben , Flynn start turning it on consistently with a hardened and composed edge and attitude then I fear we will continue to be frustrating nearly men.

The talent is there I have no doubt..
Back to top Go down
DONTPULLOUT
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:58 pm

Any1 think we'll stay up??
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:34 am

Nope.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:23 am

Not now unfortunately..
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 am

i think we might.......... Question
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 am

More chance of Lord Lucan riding into Newbridge on Shergar than us not getting relegated.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:37 am

Win Sunday and it's game on again

Last edited by moatesports on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:43 am

Tyrone v Donegal Saturday night
Kildare v mayo Sunday

Relegation games this weekend
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:55 am

Rex wrote:
More chance of Lord Lucan riding into Newbridge on Shergar than us not getting relegated.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Not impossible but unlikely. Have been very unlucky but in each game, had chances to remove the bad luck, bad calls from the equation. That's top flight sport.

Encouraging that Roscommon / Cavan look like coming back up. Operating at that level stands to you and you'd love to have it consistently to really improve but those two teams coming up suggests that even the year might have been helpful, though they have had plenty underage success and have players too.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 am

NOT AN EARTHLY CHANCE OF STAYING UP....I'd be mightily surprised if they get one point and thrilled if they get two. Kerry will want to win; Galway will want to win; Mayo may need to win.
As Ogie says, Roscommon look like bouncing back - and they lost all seven matches last year and then won Connaught - if my memory is still intact, which it may not be!
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 am

Kildare v mayo moved to Cardiff the roof will be closed
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Kildaremad
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 am

No match this weekend
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Looks like Kildare v Mayo will now take place on Sunday 11th March.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 am

I do see some positives from some of our performances. But we cannot make mistakes like the goal against Donegal. If we can up out concentration levels all over the pitch we will improve. I think we will get relegated but I would hope we can bounce back and get promotion back in the next campaign.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:38 am

Might have been better to have spent another season in Div 2 in hindsight. It was a huge leap from Div 3 to 1 in two seasons and I think we might have survived better next year.
Any ways try to win the last 3 matches and get some momentum going into the summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Relegation battle remaining fixtures    

Back to top Go down

Relegation battle remaining fixtures
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2