Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Carlow

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Once more into the breech.

Why do we do it to ourselves etc etc.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 12:15 am

Well, Jaysus, don't all rush at once!

Team I'd go for... Btw what's the story with Feely's fitness?

Donnellan

P Kelly
Hyland
O'Grady

Murray
Doyle
O'Donoghue

Feely
Moolick

P Cribbin
N Kelly
K Cribbin (extra defender)

N Flynn
D Flynn
Brophy
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 12:43 am

Team I'd go for...

Donnellan

P Kelly
Hyland
O'Grady

Kevin Flynn
Doyle
O'Donoghue

Feely
P Cribbin

F Conway
N Kelly
K Cribbin (extra defender)

E O Connor (Free taker) can't see Neil Flynn being ready.
D Flynn
Brophy

Would like to see Kelly, Brophy and O Connor rotating their positions every so often just to keep Carlow guessing and moving defenders into positions they won't necessarily be comfortable in.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 am

Does this qualify as the proverbial Banana Skin?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 am

I think it does.

Looking at the respective squads, we should be blowing them away – but league campaign left me with serious question marks about the mental and physical toughness of these lads.

If it turned into a dog-fight – which Carlow actually managed to do against Dublin last year until B. Murphy's exit – do they have, to quote the late Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff?

Without Brendan Murphy surely to god we should be winning comfortably, but you just don't know what you'll get with these lads.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 am

We seen to have lots of options for half back but are thin enough in the full back line. I see no point continuing with Hyland at full back, its just not working and it must be destroying his confidence.
Likewise with Conway at 10, play him in defense or midfield where he might have some idea of what he is supposed to be doing. O'Connor has to start if only to kick the frees, the last time we picked a guy to do just that we got to an AI final!
Hard to get excited about the year ahead, the league was bitterly disappointing not just for the defeats but also for the slow transition from defense to attack and the lack of any creativity in working scores.
Sorry for the negativity as I felt after the Dublin game last year that we were really progressing.
Just curious but wonder how confident many here would be if this game was in Dr Cullen Park???
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 am

It should definitely be in Dr Cullen Park, which would be a disadvantage to us, but unlike Dublin fans I'm actually interested in the overall wellbeing of the game rather than just buying All Irelands.

I thought E O'Connor was outstanding in Moorefield's Leinster campaign but Corofin performance reminded me of why I wasn't gone on him when he previously lined out for Kildare.

Dublin without Connolly, Brogan and McCaffrey are a less intimidating team. Still the best side in the country, definitely – but less intimidating. Considering we've been competitive against them for periods in the last two encounters, it should have been set up for us to have an almighty crack off them – but then of course we were relegated and you just don't know when this team will get their arses in gear.

But obviously a strong performance in this game would be a good platform to build off.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 1:16 am

I saw a bit of Laois-Carlow league final and, honestly, standard was atrocious and the victory went to Laois – who we annihilated last year.

I mean, are we mice or men etc etc.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 am

On hoganstand forum it said Kildare played Roscommon in Tullamore in challenge match last night . is this ture
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 am

fone wrote:
On hoganstand forum it said  Kildare played Roscommon  in Tullamore in challenge match last  night  .  is this  ture

Are u not the inside man fone
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 am

Xavi wrote:
fone wrote:
On hoganstand forum it said  Kildare played Roscommon  in Tullamore in challenge match last  night  .  is this  ture

is was behind close doors and a Roscommon person said it
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

I mean, are we mice or men etc etc.

We're not men . And we're not quite mice either. We're some sort of hybrid cross between them. One which lacked mental fortitude.

Carlow will have absolutely no respect for us and will throw the kitchen sink in the process. Will be extremely interesting to see both our mental attitude and performance over the 70 minutes . Armagh were division 3 side last year and schooled us. That's what's possible
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 4:55 am

Would have to agree Xavi - we are like some bizarre hybrid of man and mouse from the island of Dr Moreau.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 am

Would not be surprised if Carlow used same tactics they did against Dublin last year everyone behind ball
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 am

That is exactly the way they play - get 13, sometimes 14, behind the ball and make it a dogfight. If you get a seven or eight point lead early doors you're in a good position, but they can spoil effectively.

In fairness, we did well in league v Monaghan and Tyrone until shitting our pants in classic Kildare fashion down home stretch.

From a psychological point of view, I hope O'Neill is ramming home, "These lads have been in Division 4 since the pyramids and they think they're going to beat you." If I was in Kildare squad, I would be intent on burying them but I am openly questioning the mental toughness of this team.

And if that gives them the kick up the arse required to go and destroy these boys by 20 points, well, glad to be of service.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
That is exactly the way they play - get 13, sometimes 14, behind the ball and make it a dogfight. If you get a seven or eight point lead early doors you're in a good position, but they can spoil effectively.

In fairness, we did well in league v Monaghan and Tyrone until shitting our pants in classic Kildare fashion down home stretch.

From a psychological point of view, I hope O'Neill is ramming home, "These lads have been in Division 4 since the pyramids and they think they're going to beat you." If I was in Kildare squad, I would be intent on burying them but I am openly questioning the mental toughness of this team.

And if that gives them the kick up the arse required to go and destroy these boys by 20 points, well, glad to be of service.
thank god it’s in Tullamore not Dr Cullen park
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 am

Cormac o Reilly is referee  v Carlow.

Last edited by fone on Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 7:00 am

No I believe that's David Gough (Gaffe). Reilly the man who gave the free for B Brogan's Academy Award-nominated dive in 2011.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 7:13 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
No I believe that's David Gough (Gaffe). Reilly the man who gave the free for B Brogan's Academy Award-nominated dive in 2011.
correct get confused between them both done Kildare in every chance they get
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 am

Xavi wrote:
fone wrote:

Roscommon won by couple of points and all Panel got game that from Kildare hoganstand forum
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Whoever the ref is, no more excuses, this is piss or get off the pot time for many of these players, lose this and it's curtains for a lot of people, Armagh might have been division 3 but still in a different league to Carlow
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm

dont worry we are going to have at least a shot at last 8 this year
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Fri May 18, 2018 12:57 am

Super 8s is hardly an impossible task.. beat Carlow and assuming WM.. lose to Dublin.. and win the next one and we're there.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 am

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but to get ahead of ourselves, is there an idea of who we might play when we inevitably lose Leinster final – or is that still up in the air?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 am

If O'Neil goes into the championship with the same players and tactics that we saw in the league then beating Carlow will be as good as it gets. There were too many problems highlighted in the league than need fixing. They include poor kick outs, porous half back line, half forwards not tracking runners, slow midfield, no freetaker and no creativity or interplay between forwards. That's probably not an exhaustive list but will do for now.
In 2010 McGeeney ignored a dire league performance and the need for better options in the full back line and midfield. Lo and behold we got over run by Louth in Navan. He then brought in Kelly and Lynch and moved Bolton to CB and we nearly got to an AI final.
I believe the players we have are good enough but the way we play is stifling them. A few changes in personnel and positions could have us a very good team imo. I hope the manager can see that and not dig his feet in as so many managers do when under pressure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Carlow
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next