Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Carlow

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 am

The way Carlow were carrying on before throw-in, we would also would have been in our rights to start a full scale brawl. Beat them around the place, take no prisoners.

Again, though: we are Kildare.
Back to top Go down
DONTPULLOUT
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 am

Suppose we are known as soft touch footballers guesd now we no how soft.
Whos the last ."dirty" player we had?
Daryl Flynn?? He wouldve nailed a few of them carlow lads and probably the maor foirne aswell
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:24 am

Well said HG. The complete lack of a 'Nuxer vs Parkinson' '98 hit in this team has been the case for the last few seasons. Big pity. Sunday offered a chance for lads to tear into their opponents. Instead it was the Carlow show.
Back to top Go down
Onechance
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm

At one stage in the first half one of our backs, could have been O'Grady got into a wrestling match off the ball with a Carlow player, as the same way the game went, the carlow players was clearly getting the better of him but the two kildare fellas standing beside it alone left the two of them at it. No chance of them jumping in and helping their teammate out even!!!
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 7:40 pm

ah here lads anyone sitting in the stand saw Keith Cribben turning his back and walking away from the brawl in the half forward line in the second half sure he cudn't even look at it #traumatised #Kildare players unaware football is a contact sport!!!!
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 pm

I haven't podted on here in a good while as, after reading back over some of my posts I had become very negative.

I was never supporter of the appointment of Cian O Neill as manager as I thought all he brought to the table was his S and C badge and lets be honest the way Carlow threw us around like rag dolls we didn't look like we had done any S and C. However on a human level I feel sorry for the guy I've no doubt he's hurting as much as anyone.
Without going over old ground too much when you think back on the process of replacing Jason Ryan the options that were on the table were.
1.Cian O Neill a S and C coach
2. A management team of Glenn Ryan with Dermot, Johnny and Anthony Rainbow and all the knowledge and qualities they bring to the table.
No Im sorry but come on, seriously.

I am 1 million per cent sure Carlow would not have bullied us last Sunday on that ticket. Actually I'd be a million per cent sure if the 4 lads came out of the stand at half time last Sunday we would not have bullied like we were.

The writing for me was on the wall after year 1 when the 3 sleectors Brian Murphy Padraigh Brennan and Brian Flanagan all left in block and cited work reasons yet all 3 never changed jobs. Serious questions needed to be asked.

However what disappoints me most is the players. Im not going to go into personal attacks but holy fcuk. Our so called big players again hid. It was embarrassing.

If i had to put an add in the leader before the Derry game looking for players I would they only think Id ask for was that they would give everything they had for the cause.

I wasn't embarrassed leaving Tullamore on Sunday as most were. I was just SAD very very sad.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 pm

You can count on one hand the number of Kildare players in the last 30 years who were hard bastards and most of them were around 97 to 00. Ryan, Dalton and Lacey in particular and nice guys like Finn and Rainbow developed a hard cynical edge.
We can only dream of players of that calibre now but appointing a few of them to take over when O'Neill departs would be a good start.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:19 pm

jim wrote:
I haven't podted on here in a good while as, after reading back over some of my posts I had become very negative.

I was never supporter of the appointment of Cian O Neill as manager as I thought all he brought to the table was his S and C badge and lets be honest the way Carlow threw us around like rag dolls we didn't look like we had done any S and C. However on a human level I feel sorry for the guy I've no doubt he's hurting as much as anyone.
Without going over old ground too much when you think back on the process of replacing Jason Ryan the options that were on the table were.
2. A management team of Glenn Ryan with Dermot, Johnny and Anthony Rainbow and all the knowledge and qualities they bring to the table.

I am 1 million per cent sure Carlow would not have bullied us last Sunday on that ticket. Actually I'd be a million per cent sure if the 4 lads came out of the stand at half time last Sunday we would not have bullied like we were.

The writing for me was on the wall after year 1 when the 3 sleectors Brian Murphy Padraigh Brennan and Brian Flanagan all left in block and cited work reasons yet all 3 never changed jobs. Serious questions needed to be asked.

However what disappoints me most is the players. Im not going to go into personal attacks but holy fcuk. Our so called big players again hid. It was embarrassing.

If i had to put an add in the leader before the Derry game looking for players I would they only think Id ask for was that they would give everything they had for the cause.

I wasn't embarrassed leaving Tullamore on Sunday as most were. I was just SAD very very sad.

Just for the sake of accuracy - Cian O'Neill was much more than an S & C coach. He was a selector and football coach with Kerry. The first non-native to hold the role and they won an All-Ireland. Having held an S & C position with the Tipp hurling team that won the All-Ireland, and a broader coaching role with the Mayo team that made huge strides after years of being, well, soft. That doesn't detract from your preference for Glenn's ticket Jim. But important to clarify that, just in case people misinterpret it that the committee charged with making the selection picked someone to be a manager on the basis of his CV as an S & C coach. Because that would be inaccurate and misleading.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Ogie wrote:
jim wrote:

Just for the sake of accuracy - Cian O'Neill was much more than an S & C coach. He was a selector and football coach with Kerry. The first non-native to hold the role and they won an All-Ireland. Having held an S & C position with the Tipp hurling team that won the All-Ireland, and a broader coaching role with the Mayo team that made huge strides after years of being, well, soft. That doesn't detract from your preference for Glenn's ticket Jim. But important to clarify that, just in case people misinterpret it that the committee charged with making the selection picked someone to be a manager on the basis of his CV as an S & C coach. Because that would be inaccurate and misleading.
Jim just staying loyal to his friends.
Back to top Go down
northernlily
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm

This was not a great surprise given the mood in the camp is very low whilst Carlow were on the up. We have a talented but mentally weak group of players with no leaders.

The way people were dismissing Carlow in the run up to the game and how they are speaking about them after still shows how deluded we are about our actual capabilities. Many players have bought into the baseless hype about them being written on this forum and others and as such expect to be on the county team without working their socks off and getting all the nice perks that comes with it.

Talent alone will never win games.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 pm

I'll take that Oige. Kerry in Football and Tipp in Hurling now I'm no stats man or expert but id say if you imported a man from China and got him involved in either counties chances of success is fairly high. Mayo were knocking on door before durning and after CON and even Cian forgets poor Limerick when rattling off his CV. But I take your well made points.

Ps I still don't put all the blame on CON only about half of it.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Accuracy and fact has never been a strong point on this Forum. All comments written here are based on rumour and voicing your own personal frustrations, some of which may be justified. It is like reading "Lord of the Flies" with each of you feeding on each others negativity... Now, let the onslaught begin!
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Jim is giving his opinion fone which is normally expect on a public forum.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Jesus Christ almighty can you imagine being on a team bullied by Carlow... I swear to god I've genuinely never seen the like of it.

I actually can, not just obviously because we saw it, but because that is what they base their game on. Giving little away and winning the physical exchanges. They are big men and even their athletes are big men. It is how soft Kildare were in the face of that challenge that's disappointing. I wouldn't be so personal about it as some, or indeed taking it as personally, but it does look like they have regressed in this regard from where they were, having developed that rep of softness again prior to 2008. Until the players themselves do something about that, they will always be seen as a soft touch - like Mayo footballers were, like Galway hurlers were - and an opportunity for the likes of Carlow, who make no mistake about it, would have viewed the game as an opportunity, even though I could not see Kildare losing. I just did not see that coming, because nothing they would have encountered should have been a surprise.

I don't mind the stats and sports science - they are all imperative in the modern game, but there is a baseline requirement and that's to man up. So if I was a Kildare supporter, that's all I'd be looking for. If I was a Kildare player, I'd be saying in the dressing room, whatever happens, whether we kick 100 wides, let's just not take a backward step. Because that's something you can build on. And that must come from the players.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 9:42 pm

jim wrote:
I'll take that Oige.  Kerry in Football and Tipp in Hurling now I'm no stats man or expert but id say if you imported a man from China and got him involved in either counties chances of success is fairly high. Mayo were knocking on door before durning and after CON and even Cian forgets poor Limerick when rattling off his CV. But I take your well made points.

Ps I still don't put all the blame on CON only about half of it.

Yeah Jim but my point was nobody had EVER been brought in outside by Kerry and he was taken from Mayo. With Tipp, he was S & C coach so his influence would have been in that important, but limited area.

I would say with Mayo that they had been there or thereabouts forever, because they were coming from Connacht but they were weren't contenders until James Horan came in and Cian O'Neill was part of that.

I think Limerick were a lot better when Cian O'Neill was there than they are now you'll find. In his time with them, they were promoted to Division 1 (though the league in that time had Division 1 A and 1 B).

That sounds like an apologia - it's not, but he wasn't appointed just because he made Tipp hurler strong enough to cope with Kilkenny. The CV was strong. He was modern. There was one unknown and I wouldn't have argued with the gamble of finding out. He and his staff need to revert to the more primal instincts now.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:03 pm

Ogie correct -- we need to lose the sports science and revert to the basic primal instincts.....
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:24 pm

I thought he was an excellent appointment. At the start of this year, I really thought we were going in the right direction.

But they got themselves into good positions in the first three league games against Dublin, Monaghan and Tyrone, and each time shit their pants right on cue.

He has totally failed to instil the necessary psychological and physical toughness into this team to make them a really top side. At that elite level, he simply doesn't have it as a manager. Which is a harsh truth, but that's life.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 pm

Zinedine Zidane has just become available!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:40 pm

micky murphy wrote:
Ogie correct -- we need to lose the sports science and revert to the basic primal instincts.....

I wasn't saying lose the sports science at all Micky. You certainly won't achieve anything really tangible without it in this day and age, the fatties at full-forward are long gone, the knowledge of what's going on during a game is important (if you know what to do with it and why such a thing is happening). But the primal is a base point, a starting point, being hard because it is a physical sport and standing your ground is so vital in that - that doesn't mean dirt, just not being walked over. So that has to be re-inculcated because there is a thread of softness from 2013.
Back to top Go down
The Lillywhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Ogie I know a couple of Kerry players personally and he said Cian was solely an S&C / coach but made himself out to be a selector. One Mayo player who recently hung up his boots after 15 odd years playing gave a similar impression that Cian was very much about himself.

The main issue here is what ever way you look at it there is a lot of talent in this squad and it's down to management to bring that out. The other point to consider is that Cian has got rid of the majority of experience in the squad over the last three years with Padriag O'Neill, Bolton, McGrillen, Lyons, Lynch to name a few who would definitely add something to that squad
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:53 pm

Any manager that needs 20-25mins at half time in every game for sure its all about himself!!!! has anyone ever spend that long in a dressing room listening to someone..........
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm

The Lillywhite wrote:
Ogie I know a couple of Kerry players personally and he said Cian was solely an S&C / coach but made himself out to be a selector. One Mayo player who recently hung up his boots after 15 odd years playing gave a similar impression that Cian was very much about himself.

The main issue here is what ever way you look at it there is a lot of talent in this squad and it's down to management to bring that out. The other point to consider is that Cian has got rid of the majority of experience in the squad over the last three years with Padriag O'Neill, Bolton, McGrillen, Lyons, Lynch to name a few who would definitely add something to that squad

Have to defer to you on that Lillywhite. Certainly heard there weren't a lot of tears when he left Mayo. Often thought that pitching up in Kerry after might have had something to do with that. He was definitely, officially, a selector in Kerry. Whether that meant he had any say in team selection, I don't know. Obviously Tomás Ó Sé hadn't much time for him anyway.

As for getting rid of experience, I remember McGeeney getting abused for not bringing enough lads through (though he blooded 10 U21s in 2013). And even this year, it has been said that there isn't enough change. In my opinion, three of those you mentioned were gone at inter-county level and I say that as an admirer.

You're right though, it's a management's job to get the best out of them.

I don't know anyone involved anymore, I don't report on them, don't follow them so I have no insight into what goes on in the camp that I might have in the past. I don't know who speaks at half time, or what is discussed. I find it hard to imagine it's one individual. But that break, if it's taking that long, is either something predetermined on some psychological pretext or an indication of frantic panic.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 11:03 pm

Is it fair to say O'Neill divides opinion?

When he took over Kildare, I was just looking at his track record in Mayo, Tipp, Kerry and thinking, this looks good.

But Jesus, he really seems to rub some people up the wrong way.

Have to say last Saturday, when T O'Se questioned his ability to really inspire a dressing room, I thought that was very harsh.

But talk about vindication for Tomas on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 pm

Oige. Points taken. Anyway lads ease up on the manager bashinh. He's hurting more than anyone. I've met him a few times and comes across as a really nice guy.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:02 am

The Lillywhite wrote:

The Lillywhite - It is your choice to crucify O´Neill for the lack of performance of the Kildare team but the least you can do is get your facts right and in this case you are talking shite - Mikey Sheehy, Diarmuid Murphy and Cian O´Neill were selectors for the Kerry senior football team. O´Neill also trained them. FACT! You may not like him but before you put pen to paper, know what you are talking about... Only my opinion of course, if I am allowed to voice it, that is......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Carlow
Page 15 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next