Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Carlow

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 pm

How many wides did Donegal shoot?

We’ve lost 9 in a row, 11 out of 13. Not including O’Byrne Cup.

Don’t think adding Éanna Ó Connor is going to miraculously help our full back line to mark.

We missed some frees but landing the last year at Feely’s door is pure delusion.

Many different issues to be addressed:

- kick outs
- full back
- Doyle’s role
- sweeper or no
- midfield mobility
- Brophy’s role
- Kelly’s form
- Paul Cribbin’s inconsistency
- attacking tactics / lack of imagination
- inability to select right shot under pressure
- naivety when defending a winning or drawing position

Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Twentyeight wrote:
hawker wrote:
Twentyeight wrote:
hawker wrote:
Twentyeight wrote:
lomond wrote:
7/1 Carlow is not a bad bet considering our form....if any div 1 team would lose to a div 4 team it's us

I'm sick of reading this forum, I can't believe the level of negativity. Did you even watch the game yesterday between Monaghan and Tyrone? It was the highest standard of football played in Ulster in years and we we're only beaten by a point by both teams in the league, two games we probably should have won.

We were only beaten by two points away to Donegal after having had our captain sent off early, the same Donegal who have just hammered Cavan and will almost certainly be in an Ulster final.

We were beating Dublin at half time on a pitch that we never play well on and just faded a bit in the second half.

I remember sitting in Croke Park only two years ago on a miserable day watching Kildare beat Wexford 9-8 in the the worst game of football I have ever watched and then going on to lose to a division 4 Westmeath 3 weeks later. I couldn't have even have dream't of those performances against Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Dublin.

The progress this group has made in two years has been nothing short of phenomenal, but I always question why they even bother when they are treated with this level of disrespect by so called supporters.

Here's the thing. You don't have to read the forum.

You couldn't have dreamt of those performances against Tyrone etc. Dreaming of losing. Beating Dublin at half time? Whoop de fucking do. Therein lies our problem. Happy with moral victories.

The progress is phenomenal? Really? We just got relegated to Division 2.

Until Kildare football start showing the balls to win big games (some might say any game) then you will always have people who can't help but be negative.

What do you expect? For us to go from losing to division 4 teams to beating the 3 in a row All Ireland champions in the space of 2 years?

The difference between us and most of the division 1 teams this year was a decent free taker. If we had just scored all of the score-able frees the final table would have looked a lot different. We would now be talking about challenging Dublin for a Leinster instead there is talk on here of losing to Carlow.

The level of delusion on here is ridiculous. Either were winning All Irelands or were a team of bottlers and underachievers because we lost by a few points to the best teams in the country. There's no middle ground. I'd expect that level of arrogance from supporters in certain counties but I didn't expect to hear it in Kildare. I guess I was wrong...

The difference is a free taker? Delusion is right.

Head in sand stuff.

So you're saying we didn't miss at least 2 kick-able frees against Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal? We're you even at the matches because I can remember missing about 5 against Monaghan alone.  

I wasn't at any match at all. I'm otherwise engaged. That doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

It's not what I'm saying is the issue here. It's what you are saying. Did we take the ball into contact too much? Did our decision making in the heat of battle let of down? Did we kick too many wides? Were we naive? I could go on.

So it wasn't only a free taker.
Back to top Go down
Twentyeight
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

hawker wrote:
Twentyeight wrote:
hawker wrote:
Twentyeight wrote:
hawker wrote:
Twentyeight wrote:
lomond wrote:
7/1 Carlow is not a bad bet considering our form....if any div 1 team would lose to a div 4 team it's us

I'm sick of reading this forum, I can't believe the level of negativity. Did you even watch the game yesterday between Monaghan and Tyrone? It was the highest standard of football played in Ulster in years and we we're only beaten by a point by both teams in the league, two games we probably should have won.

We were only beaten by two points away to Donegal after having had our captain sent off early, the same Donegal who have just hammered Cavan and will almost certainly be in an Ulster final.

We were beating Dublin at half time on a pitch that we never play well on and just faded a bit in the second half.

I remember sitting in Croke Park only two years ago on a miserable day watching Kildare beat Wexford 9-8 in the the worst game of football I have ever watched and then going on to lose to a division 4 Westmeath 3 weeks later. I couldn't have even have dream't of those performances against Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Dublin.

The progress this group has made in two years has been nothing short of phenomenal, but I always question why they even bother when they are treated with this level of disrespect by so called supporters.

Here's the thing. You don't have to read the forum.

You couldn't have dreamt of those performances against Tyrone etc. Dreaming of losing. Beating Dublin at half time? Whoop de fucking do. Therein lies our problem. Happy with moral victories.

The progress is phenomenal? Really? We just got relegated to Division 2.

Until Kildare football start showing the balls to win big games (some might say any game) then you will always have people who can't help but be negative.

What do you expect? For us to go from losing to division 4 teams to beating the 3 in a row All Ireland champions in the space of 2 years?

The difference between us and most of the division 1 teams this year was a decent free taker. If we had just scored all of the score-able frees the final table would have looked a lot different. We would now be talking about challenging Dublin for a Leinster instead there is talk on here of losing to Carlow.

The level of delusion on here is ridiculous. Either were winning All Irelands or were a team of bottlers and underachievers because we lost by a few points to the best teams in the country. There's no middle ground. I'd expect that level of arrogance from supporters in certain counties but I didn't expect to hear it in Kildare. I guess I was wrong...

The difference is a free taker? Delusion is right.

Head in sand stuff.

So you're saying we didn't miss at least 2 kick-able frees against Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal? We're you even at the matches because I can remember missing about 5 against Monaghan alone.  

I wasn't at any match at all. I'm otherwise engaged. That doesn't stop me from having an opinion.

It's not what I'm saying is the issue here. It's what you are saying. Did we take the ball into contact too much? Did our decision making in the heat of battle let of down? Did we kick too many wides? Were we naive? I could go on.

So it wasn't only a free taker.

We lost those games by 1 or 2 points, we missed at least 3 easy frees in each of those games so yes a free taker would have won us those matches.

Kildaregaa365 just outlined a variety of areas in which we need to improve add in 3 points per game kicked away due to not having a free taker. And given all that we were still only beaten by a few points by the best teams in the country. Yet still we have people on here talking about losing to Carlow.

We need to support the team not crucify them for every mistake that they make. Most refuse to even recognize the progress that has been made in the last 2 years. All I've seen here in the past year has been personal attacks on the characters of the players and management. If I was a player reading this forum I'd be seriously asking myself why I'm bothered representing these Kildare supporters.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Tue May 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Good job you're not playing, then.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am

Nobody is crucifying anyone, they are giving their opinion on a team who haven't won in a year and continually make the same mistakes. Most of those opinions I would agree with. You don't lose that many games because of just one reason i.e a misfiring free taker. It's a combination of the list 365 has written. Everyone here would love nothing more than Kildare to do well, but we are also pragmatic and aligned with history we tend to be on the negative side.

For what its worth I think we will win on Sunday by a decent margin. What I want to see is a defined style, good tackling, accuracy and the ability to be ruthless when needed. This team really needs to start their fightback on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 am

Rex wrote:
Nobody is crucifying anyone, they are giving their opinion on a team who haven't won in a year and continually make the same mistakes. Most of those opinions I would agree with. You don't lose that many games because of just one reason i.e a misfiring free taker. It's a combination of the list 365 has written. Everyone here would love nothing more than Kildare to do well, but we are also pragmatic and aligned with history we tend to be on the negative side.

For what its worth I think we will win on Sunday by a decent margin. What I want to see is a defined style, good tackling, accuracy and the ability to be ruthless when needed. This team really needs to start their fightback on Sunday.

That's it in a nutshell.
Back to top Go down
Twentyeight
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 12:39 am

Rex wrote:

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion even if its a negative one but I find talk of losing to Carlow as extremely disrespectful. They were beaten comfortably by Laois in the division 4 final, the same Laois team that we beat by 14 points last year.

I agree that there are a lot of things that need to be improved upon if they are to win something meaningful as a group but there just seems to be constant negativity from the supporters. I think we all agree that they probably got promoted to division 1 a year too early but even still they showed this year that they can compete with the top teams in the country.

I think the importance of a good free taker is being downplayed here a bit. Look at Monaghan at the weekend. Conor McManus will kick everything inside the 45 and Beggan will kick everything from 45 to 65. Thats a serious edge to have at the top level.

The mistakes that are being made by Kildare are mostly basic ones so I can understand the frustration and I know that they seem to be making the same mistakes over and over again. But there are some seriously talented players in the squad and if those mistakes can be improved upon they have the potential to be a serious outfit.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 am

Just on our Div 1 form we were competitive in 3 games out of 7, well beaten in the other 4.

One of them was against Donegal (relegated along side Kildare)

A Monaghan team that didn't have McManus (we saw his value to them last weekend)

Tyrone (that was a decent performance but we managed to throw away a point by letting Mattie Donnelly waltz up the sideline to kick a point to win it)

Monaghan and Tyrone games were both in Newbridge.

having said the above, Carlow played Div 4 this year, and were well beaten by Laois who did their best to lose to Wexford two weeks ago. Kildare should win this match by 10-12 points at least.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 am

If the day is fine, I would expect Kildare to win this by comfortable double digit points (ten plus)
If we win by less, the semi-final could be a fraught affair.
If we lose, we're back in the days before Micko's initial arrival or very close to it.
I'm going for a ten point win.....now where's my hat in case I need to eat it on Monday. jocolor
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 3:49 am

Rex wrote:

Exactly.

Twenty eight I don’t think the comments on here are too personal or over the top. Critical yes but fair and focused generally on players and managements performance. Which goes with the territory. Shit or Get Off The Pot time.
Like Rex I fanxybus to win reasonably comfortably after a dogged Carlow effort.
5-7 points is my guess but could be more if the break has done the players good.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 3:51 am

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:
If the day is fine, I would expect Kildare to win this by comfortable double digit points (ten plus)
If we win by less, the semi-final could be a fraught affair.
If we lose, we're back in the days before Micko's initial arrival or very close to it.
I'm going for a ten point win.....now where's my hat in case I need to eat it on Monday.   jocolor
weather. Very hot around 20 degrees on Sunday
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 8:33 am

I hope a decent bloody crowd turns up, all the bandwagoners have long since moved on....
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 8:22 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:
How many wides did Donegal shoot?

We’ve lost 9 in a row, 11 out of 13.  Not including O’Byrne Cup.

Don’t think adding Éanna Ó Connor is going to miraculously help our full back line to mark.

We missed some frees but landing the last year at Feely’s door is pure delusion.

Many different issues to be addressed:

- kick outs
- full back
- Doyle’s role
- sweeper or no
- midfield mobility
- Brophy’s role
- Kelly’s form
- Paul Cribbin’s inconsistency
- attacking tactics / lack of imagination
- inability to select right shot under pressure
- naivety when defending a winning or drawing position

All of these are exposed more by Division 1 teams than they will by a team that's beating Waterford and can't beat Laois. They more or less play one forward. They are strong in midfield and so Feely would be a loss as they target the mark from long kickouts. Broderick can be hot and cold. And Murphy can cause problems breaking from deep if there are too many gaps. But they really aren't that much of a scoring threat and if you could get an early goal, you could destroy them as if they have to come out at all, they're toast. What they will be hoping is to be in it until the final quarter and hope that Kildare shit the course. The mental side is the only one that would worry me about Kildare playing Carlow. But for me, Kildare, as a sort of top 10 team or thereabouts, are far too good Carlow and all I've seen this year would harden my view on that.

I felt the same against Meath and Laois last year but was very concerned by what I saw in those games, especially Meath twice defensively. But you get away with those because of the opposition. I'd be disappointed if Kildare don't get to the Leinster Final, all I've seen in competitive games this year suggests to me they will unless they plank it.

That's a funny comment Bill, looking for a decent crowd without bandwagoners!! Very few get decent crowds without a bandwagon. And a bandwagon only comes with success.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 8:41 pm

+ 1 to all of that Ogie

Not a peep out of the camp at the moment - Hoping that's an encouraging sign.

Is Brendan Murphy gone from the Carlow panel now to the US?
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Highball wrote:
+ 1 to all of that Ogie

Not a peep out of the camp at the moment - Hoping that's an encouraging sign.

Is Brendan Murphy gone from the Carlow panel now to the US?
Murphy in USA already. Ruth and Sean Murphy is midfield pair
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Agreed we will have far to much for Carlow, and assuming it's WM in the Semi.. if we perform like we did in our last Championship Match in Croker (Armagh) we won't be making any Final.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes Highball Murphy is gone to the US so that does weaken them no question.

Just because 5-6 lads on here comment that things are bad does not mean that the team is bad. Just like 5-6 saying that all is great will not make us win anything.

I for one at the start of the year did not think we would win a single game in Div 1. That was not based on us being a really bad team but more on the fact that I believed there was 7 better teams in the league than us. I think the Armagh game last year showed us that the team still has a lot to learn. Be that a free taker or the list that Kildaregaa365 posted we are not a brilliant team. If we were we would be A.I. champs. If we were really poor we would be in Div 4. We are not we are in Div 2.

This team has good players who have a chance I believe to be really good players. That will be up to them with the help of the management team. If collectively that can be done then we will push on and become a better team and have a serious chance of winning something. If they don't improve then Div 2 is probably where will stay for the next while.

Either way I see us wining by 6 or more on Sunday.

Oh and as for the bandwagon I personally don't care if it never shows up. Follow the team or don't. I for one would be very happy to see this team win something even if there was only 50 Kildare fans in the stand. Hell maybe I would enjoy it more if there was only 50 of us in the stand.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Too much optimism in the last few posts. We need to bring it down a level.

Any injuries then?

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Totally injury-free.

You're right - too much optimism. Cue red cards for Feely and D Flynn in first 10 mins.

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 pm

We tried that double early sending off in our opening game against Laois in 97. Seemed to work really well as it kickstarted the most successful period in Kildare history. Could it work again???
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 am

Question – can you just buy stand tickets down there? Where do you buy them in the ground?
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Question – can you just buy stand tickets down there? Where do you buy them in the ground?
at entrance there ticket office
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 24, 2018 12:54 am

Great thanks Fone!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 24, 2018 1:48 am

shoutitout wrote:
Yes Highball Murphy is gone to the US so that does weaken them no question.

Just because 5-6 lads on here comment that things are bad does not mean that the team is bad. Just like 5-6 saying that all is great will not make us win anything.

I for one at the start of the year did not think we would win a single game in Div 1. That was not based on us being a really bad team but more on the fact that I believed there was 7 better teams in the league than us. I think the Armagh game last year showed us that the team still has a lot to learn. Be that a free taker or the list that Kildaregaa365 posted we are not a brilliant team. If we were we would be A.I. champs. If we were really poor we would be in Div 4. We are not we are in Div 2.  

This team has good players who have a chance I believe to be really good players. That will be up to them with the help of the management team. If collectively that can be done then we will push on and become a better team and have a serious chance of winning something. If they don't improve then Div 2 is probably where will stay for the next while.

Either way I see us wining by 6 or more on Sunday.

Oh and as for the bandwagon I personally don't care if it never shows up. Follow the team or don't. I for one would be very happy to see this team win something even if there was only 50 Kildare fans in the stand. Hell maybe I would enjoy it more if there was only 50 of us in the stand.

Great post - sums up my thoughts better than I could
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   Thu May 24, 2018 6:38 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Totally injury-free.

You're right - too much optimism. Cue red cards for Feely and D Flynn in first 10 mins.

No longer totally injury free by all accounts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Carlow   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Carlow
Page 3 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next