Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare GAA Finances

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Kildare GAA Finances   Sun May 20, 2018 2:01 am

Irish indo today had a 'GAA Richlist' in todays paper and it doesnt make great reading from Kildares perspective as we are 18th out of 30 counties.

Money is vital in todays GAA world and without it its very hard to compete with the big boys.
Fundraising seems to be an issue as we raised just 175k, a poor return compared to similar counties such likes of Meath raising 330k and Wexford 333k. This is something which needs to be addressed as we have both the population and lets be honest, theres plenty of money in Kildare.

Instead of pointing fingers, what do people here think can be done to bring more money into Kildare gaa?

Surely companies like Intel Wyeth Kerry Group need to be approached and enticed to make some sort of a contribution.

What work are Club Kildare undertaking lately?

Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Sun May 20, 2018 2:09 am

A big way of getting money is win a major trophy
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Sun May 20, 2018 7:06 am

Meath haven't won anything of note lately have they though Fone more should be done, definitely need to get the big companies involved though. Winning definitely helps too though.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 am

LillieLad wrote:
Meath haven't won anything of note lately have they though Fone more should be done, definitely need to get the big companies involved though. Winning definitely helps too though.
Galway signed € 2million deal with supermac during week . What are Club Kildare doing to get new members in answer nothing . Meath supporters club charge only €20 to joining that’s basic membership
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 am

Is there anything to be said for another mass bucket collection?
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 am

Amazing to see how little Dublin fundraise, they could have a lot more than they have if their county board had half the hustle that Mayo have which is a scary thought.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 am

I suppose Dublin can generate so much through sponsorship that they don't need to rattle buckets. Hitting people up for cash all the time isn't sustainable either. I think people would be willing to contribute if a plan was put to them and they knew what the money was for.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 am

Dublin want a better stadium so they could press the fundraising button on that. Just think they are lazy. Amuses me when John costello is held up as a great county board chairman when Mayo do so much more fundraising wise with much less people.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Mon May 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Read this on Saturday not sure if available on line but as some have eluded to the one factor that gave me a shock was how far we are behind Meath from a revenue and sponsorship perspective, cant remember the exact figures but I would have believed that we should be at least on a par or ahead of them?
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Mon May 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Online here:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-reign-supreme-but-where-does-your-county-rank-on-the-2018-gaa-rich-list-36922874.html

Note that Meath raised close to €250,000 of its €329,093 with a tribute night to Sean Boylan in New York, that would represent most of the difference between us and them last year.. But still pretty poor being only 18th out of 30 wrt overall revenue..

Here is Kildare Breakdown V Meath:

18th Kildare

Commercial: €289,777

Fundraising: €174,636

Central Media: €175,000

Competitions: €68,832

Expenses: €24,935

Provincial: €17,000

TOTAL: €750,183

TEAM COSTS: €756,093

7th Meath

Commercial: €399,654

Fundraising: €329,093

Central Media: €175,000

Competitions: €52,237

Expenses: €37,136

Provincial: €22,750

TOTAL: €1,015,870

TEAM COSTS: €658,487

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 pm

The issue of fundraising is that, being honest there are a core in every club, that get hit every time something is needed.
That same club core tends to be ardent county followers too and they get hit again. In county draws if you have a few county men the club are expected to sell and then the lads are expected to sell too.
The clubs are mostly struggling for cash and then county events are not an option.
The thing is at club level some do well with Lip Syncs and so on, they are trying new things, but the county set-up should be above buckets and novelty nights.

I would say they should be hitting up more in terms of commercial partners and so on. There are lots of big companies in Ireland who see the GAA as a good way into the community, but I am not sure how much they are being approached. Or are they?
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:26 am

A really good piece by Tommy with Matt Cooper on The Last Word on Today FM this evening about the Dublin financial doping, brilliantly researched and delivered for which the Dublin representative struggled badly to justify. The figures presented by Tommy beggars belief and yet Matt Cooper more or less agreed that the GAA policy is to promote Dublin GAA to counter the growth of Rugby and Soccer . wotth a listen.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 am

KILL BILL wrote:
A really good piece by Tommy with Matt Cooper on The Last Word on Today FM this evening about the Dublin financial doping, brilliantly researched and delivered for which the Dublin representative struggled badly to justify.  The figures presented by Tommy beggars belief and yet Matt Cooper more or less agreed that the GAA policy is to promote Dublin GAA to counter the growth of Rugby and Soccer . wotth a listen.

38k in Croke Park yesterday for a double header of Leinster Semi-Finals. 7/8 years ago there would have been 70k+. The Dublin fans are voting with their feet.

The introduction of the Super 8's is required to mitigate the mess the GAA have created.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 am

But Super 8s will suit the team with depth most...that's it fecked again for a while.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:45 am

Lads Dublin GAA as an entity that is only going to get even stronger. Some of their bigger clubs have membership figures of 4 and 5000 members.

Some of their clubs have sponsorship deals with The likes of Bank of Ireland , Joe Duffy Motor Group, Topaz, Centra and many other big business .

People are waiting on Kerry to come good, or Galway to emerge. In the mean time Dublin aren't standing still. Year after year regardless of how good their minors are they are transforming underage players into supreme athletes due to the money, facilities and experts they have at their disposal .

Dublin may not win Sam Maguire every year they only need one team to have a but of luck and catch them someday but they will dominate Leinster and feature in All Ireland series for many more decades. Kildare and Meath will forever be in their shadow
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:47 am

Flamingo wrote:
But Super 8s will suit the team with depth most...that's it fecked again for a while.

12 games in the Super 8s (although not all at CP) vs. 4 QFinals under the old system
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am

Xavi wrote:
Lads Dublin GAA as an entity that is only going to get even stronger.  Some of their bigger clubs have membership figures of 4 and 5000 members.

Some of their clubs have sponsorship deals with The likes of Bank of Ireland , Joe Duffy Motor Group, Topaz, Centra and many other big business .

People are waiting on Kerry to come good, or Galway to emerge. In the mean time Dublin aren't standing still.  Year after year regardless of how good their minors are they are transforming underage players into supreme athletes due to the money,  facilities and experts they have at their disposal .

Dublin may not win Sam Maguire every year they only need one team to have a but of luck and catch them someday but they will dominate Leinster and feature in All Ireland series for many more decades.  Kildare and Meath will forever be in their shadow

Agree Xavi..... The amount of gym equipment in Abbotstown was unreal and when outside teams started to use it, Brian Cullen and Co. removed it and put it in cold storage until they got sorted in Parnell Park to accommodate it as they were told Abbotstown was for anyone who requested/booked it. So to stop others they just removed it.

Spoke to a Dublin U-17 football panelist last year and he was telling me they were out at Abbotstown training and doing drills three to four times a week with team management and coaches in the mornings or afternoons.

Realistically how can other counties compete when the majority of their team mentors/management are off trying to earn a wage on a week day before getting home to gobble down a bit of dinner before shooting off to a pitch or Centre of Excellence for a training session with their squad maybe twice a week.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

Podcast the interview, honestly it will leave you stunned
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 am

All I want to add is...

1. Ewan McKenna is the only journalist out there telling it like it is with regard to Dublin GAA. When you the see the fawning that certain hacks in the national media indulge in with regard to the Dubs, it is truly laughable.

2. Each trophy the Dubs accumulate is bringing them closer to the inevitable split. That's just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 am

And one other thing: Dubs will point to occasional defeats - Donegal 2014, Kerry last year, Monaghan this year - as a fig leaf.

But that's all they are. For the forseeable future, defeats they suffer are only going to be spectacular one-offs (and if we happen to inflict one of those, we will never let them forget it). But the overall picture is Dub dominance at provincial and national level, hence the eventual split. They may not want to hear it but it is going to happen - the dice has become too loaded in their favour.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:25 pm

I don't know how a split is inevitable. It would have to be proposed and approved. Can't see it happening. Addressing the imbalance of the provincial championships relating to an All-Ireland series is the single biggest issue in the GAA that any sane man can see needs to be done and it hasn't and won't be. The round-robin in the hurling is a lovely smokescreen but even that, while providing savage entertainment, isn't equal, with Munster teams going through wars on a weekly basis, some teams playing four games in a row, others not and Leinster arbitrarily being decreed as the province that will have a relegated team.

In any competition, teams should have the same breaks as much as possible, the same number of qualifying games, the same opportunities to progress. By all means seed but some teams having to play four or six games, to get to a point where some teams reach after two is just insane.

Anyway, that's the biggest issue. Even with the funding issue, and it's there in black and white, it's a cruise for Dublin until the quarter-finals at least and probably the semi-final (I nearly said til they get to Croke Park!!). It has been a big help to Kerry for years too. You might end up with the same teams, but they get there having gone through the same level of competition.

Finally, I feel if one county is split, then the next step is for some counties to amalgamate. Nothing would be off the table. And I suppose that's possible.

Anyway, I won't hold my breath any of the above happening.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Ogie Dublin have become too strong at every level for teams to compete on a consistent basis. They are going to keep dominating and GAA fans are already totally sick of it - it's boring & no one cares that they can beat Wickow, Longford & Laois by 30 points (not even a lot of Dubs fans).

Hence a radical solution is going to come on the agenda and I believe it's the split. I'm not alone in that thinking.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:27 pm

HG - Like everything money talks..

The Super 8s this year will have momentum and interest and will paper over the cracks of the redundant provincial series... The smaller crowds showing up for the Leinster Semi ( and I assume the Leinster final) will be masked by the extra games /crowds in the All Ireland series.

Dublin will be caught on the hop at some stage and lose a game and that will be used as the stick to fend off the reason for the split.

Not saying I disagree with you on any points and im depressed as any about the snore fest and chasm that exists but I don't foresee a Dublin split for a minimum of 5 years (if ever)
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Lads just look at a few Dubs stats racked up over past 15 years...

13 out of 14 Leinsters

5 All Irelands including a three in a row

4 out of five leagues

At one stage went TWO YEARS unbeaten

Have lost only two major games under Jim Gavin (league final last year & Donegal 2014)

The situation is already unsustainable. Particularly if they win the All Ireland this year - and I think they will - expect the split to come back on the agenda in a major way.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Ogie Dublin have become too strong at every level for teams to compete on a consistent basis. They are going to keep dominating and GAA fans are already totally sick of it - it's boring & no one cares that they can beat Wickow, Longford & Laois by 30 points (not even a lot of Dubs fans).

Hence a radical solution is going to come on the agenda and I believe it's the split. I'm not alone in that thinking.

I've heard the debate HG - I'm just wondering how it's going to get actually done. And I can't see how if it is done, it won't change the make-up of the GAA forever - I won't say for worse, it's not what it was for a long time. But if you can split a county, why can't you put two together?

As for them kicking the crap out of all of Leinster, when I was growing up, Kerry were doing that to all of Munster, all of Ulster and all of Connacht, more or less. As I mentioned somewhere, on another thread, there were 25,000 people at the drawn 1985 All-Ireland semi-final against Monaghan. Kerry folk were waiting for the final and no-one else was expecting anything but a hiding for Monaghan. So the results aren't all that different, the fact that the top team is miles ahead of most of the rest isn't new. Maybe the financial aspect is new but one-sidedness is not.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if I see it but that's based on nothing but gut, you seem to have a more reliable basis for your belief it will and I acknowledge that - will be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare GAA Finances   

Back to top Go down

Kildare GAA Finances
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next