Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Derry v Kildare

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
The Lillywhite
Junior C
Junior C


Posts : 8
Join date : 2018-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Could Hyland and Doyle switch. Hyland could be a lot more creative in that position. Always thought Doyle would be better at full back as he doesnt offer much going forward
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3700
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:33 pm

I'd play Hyland at wing back, and Conway or maybe Byrne in the centre... Not sure about Doyle at full back, but why Not, can't be any worse than at the moment.
I always thought Luke Flynn was best suited to anyone at full back, but maybe his lack of commitment isn't helping his cause.
Anyway if it's left as is we're not beating Derry.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1863
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:58 pm

For me it's just shuffling deck chairs on Titanic at this stage, O'Neills time is up and this season is petering out to its inevitable dismal conclusion.

Good job I'm not giving the team talk!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 2198
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:14 pm

The Lillywhite wrote:
Could Hyland and Doyle switch. Hyland could be a lot more creative in that position. Always thought Doyle would be better at full back as he doesnt offer much going forward

Worth trying - got to do something with both positions
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3700
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 pm

You're right HG, and there's no doubt CON P45 is being prepared.. but is the next Man in gonna turn things around with this group of Player's ?.. I'm not so sure.
The other point is, are there better Players in the County than that current crop ?. Again I'm not so sure.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1863
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:29 pm

You could well be right Seamus. We'd had the underage success, the club success, and the league and championship draws were favourable. By O'Neill's own admission, there were no excuses this season. And we didn't just come up short - we completely imploded.

All that considered, I don't know what the next step is, but I do know this team is going nowhere this summer.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1066
Join date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
You're right HG, and there's no doubt CON P45 is being prepared.. but is the next Man in gonna turn things around with this group of Player's  ?.. I'm not so sure.
The other point is, are there better Players in the County than that current crop ?. Again I'm not so sure.

.. and here lies the problem, these better players are clearly not playing to their potential, they appear to lack passion, committment and a will to win.

From rumours going around, CON is walking on eggshells with a number of these players, trying to keep them committed and in the squad and almost pandering to them @ this stage.

One of McGeeney's biggest strength was creating an atmosphere where everybody played for each other and the squad was a tightly knit unit. If there were egos in that panel, those egos certainly did not enter the pitch. If somebody stepped out of line they were gone from the group, and that was it. We have heard rumours of Luke Flynn leaving the panel three times now, returning twice so far.

It appears that the whole setup is rotten to core at this stage.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1863
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 pm

In any walk of life, in any venture, it's all about creating a sense that you're in it together in a journey towards something special.

The only destination it feels like we're currently heading is over a cliff.

If I honestly felt that this group had the resolve of a Mayo and were intent on setting the record straight, I'd be first in to get the show on the road.

But I've seen too much evidence this year that they are, simply, a soft touch - mentally and physically.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1863
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Another reason why the blame cannot be exclusively laid at O'Neill's door - far from it...

In 2015, Mayo were unhappy with their management team all year. But when it came to the crunch, they knocked heads together and said, Mayo football is bigger than any of us, time to get serious. They should have beaten Dublin that year - a Dublin team hellbent on destroying everything in their path having been overturned by Donegal the previous season.

That's a team to believe in, a team to get behind. No wonder Mayo people feel such a special bond with them.

It's all any of us want in Kildare - but our lads can't actually get it together to beat Carlow. Pitiful.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1755
Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:09 am

Closer we get, the more confident I am while questioning my mental wellbeing more at the same time. Kildare by six.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 2492
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 am

flourman wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
You're right HG, and there's no doubt CON P45 is being prepared.. but is the next Man in gonna turn things around with this group of Player's  ?.. I'm not so sure.
The other point is, are there better Players in the County than that current crop ?. Again I'm not so sure.

.. and here lies the problem, these better players are clearly not playing to their potential, they appear to lack passion, committment and a will to win.

From rumours going around, CON is walking on eggshells with a number of these players, trying to keep them committed and in the squad and almost pandering to them @ this stage.

One of McGeeney's biggest strength was creating an atmosphere where everybody played for each other and the squad was a tightly knit unit. If there were egos in that panel, those egos certainly did not enter the pitch. If somebody stepped out of line they were gone from the group, and that was it. We have heard rumours of Luke Flynn leaving the panel three times now, returning twice so far.

It appears that the whole setup is rotten to core at this stage.

If he is pandering to certain players then he's mad. That might be half the problem, a cohort get away with murder and some others who toe the line look at it and think why would I bother. In any situation if someone is getting treated differently than you it's natural to get the hump.

If they don't want to commit move them on and and tell the world they didn't want to do what was necessary. If you end up with 22 lads who want to be there so be it, remove the egos and entitled.

It's a week and a half since the Carlow debacle and I still can't believe what I saw. I said to someone the other night when I'm old and grey there will be whatever type of media we have then remembering this game it was that bad.

We might not have been successful over the years but we always had a group who played for the jersey and gave as much as they could. You can't say the same for this group and that is damming. People will always support a group who give their all. We never won anything with McGeeney but thousands followed them everywhere because you were proud of them and realised the effort they put in.

Thousands will not follow this team.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 576
Join date : 2013-09-24
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 am

Rex wrote:
flourman wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
You're right HG, and there's no doubt CON P45 is being prepared.. but is the next Man in gonna turn things around with this group of Player's  ?.. I'm not so sure.
The other point is, are there better Players in the County than that current crop ?. Again I'm not so sure.

.. and here lies the problem, these better players are clearly not playing to their potential, they appear to lack passion, committment and a will to win.

From rumours going around, CON is walking on eggshells with a number of these players, trying to keep them committed and in the squad and almost pandering to them @ this stage.

One of McGeeney's biggest strength was creating an atmosphere where everybody played for each other and the squad was a tightly knit unit. If there were egos in that panel, those egos certainly did not enter the pitch. If somebody stepped out of line they were gone from the group, and that was it. We have heard rumours of Luke Flynn leaving the panel three times now, returning twice so far.

It appears that the whole setup is rotten to core at this stage.

If he is pandering to certain players then he's mad. That might be half the problem, a cohort get away with murder and some others who toe the line look at it and think why would I bother. In any situation if someone is getting treated differently than you it's natural to get the hump.

If they don't want to commit move them on and and tell the world they didn't want to do what was necessary. If you end up with 22 lads who want to be there so be it, remove the egos and entitled.

It's  a week and a half since the Carlow debacle and I still can't believe what I saw. I said to someone the other night when I'm old and grey there will be whatever type of media we have then remembering this game it was that bad.

We might not have been successful over the years but we always had a group who played for the jersey and gave as much as they could. You can't say the same for this group and that is damming. People will always support a group who give their all. We never won anything with McGeeney but thousands followed them everywhere because you were proud of them and realised the effort they put in.

Thousands will not follow this team.

Couldn't agree more totally unrelated but mad how quick that 2010 was gone, actually think should have been kept around for experience and leadership....Wish the current team gave as much, if they did we'd have a decent team on our hands... Can't wait until this years over hopefully we have a tactically astute manager who takes no shit!
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2649
Join date : 2010-01-31
Location : kildare

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 am

LillieLad wrote:
Rex wrote:
flourman wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
You're right HG, and there's no doubt CON P45 is being prepared.. but is the next Man in gonna turn things around with this group of Player's  ?.. I'm not so sure.
The other point is, are there better Players in the County than that current crop ?. Again I'm not so sure.

.. and here lies the problem, these better players are clearly not playing to their potential, they appear to lack passion, committment and a will to win.

From rumours going around, CON is walking on eggshells with a number of these players, trying to keep them committed and in the squad and almost pandering to them @ this stage.

One of McGeeney's biggest strength was creating an atmosphere where everybody played for each other and the squad was a tightly knit unit. If there were egos in that panel, those egos certainly did not enter the pitch. If somebody stepped out of line they were gone from the group, and that was it. We have heard rumours of Luke Flynn leaving the panel three times now, returning twice so far.

It appears that the whole setup is rotten to core at this stage.

If he is pandering to certain players then he's mad. That might be half the problem, a cohort get away with murder and some others who toe the line look at it and think why would I bother. In any situation if someone is getting treated differently than you it's natural to get the hump.

If they don't want to commit move them on and and tell the world they didn't want to do what was necessary. If you end up with 22 lads who want to be there so be it, remove the egos and entitled.

It's  a week and a half since the Carlow debacle and I still can't believe what I saw. I said to someone the other night when I'm old and grey there will be whatever type of media we have then remembering this game it was that bad.

We might not have been successful over the years but we always had a group who played for the jersey and gave as much as they could. You can't say the same for this group and that is damming. People will always support a group who give their all. We never won anything with McGeeney but thousands followed them everywhere because you were proud of them and realised the effort they put in.

Thousands will not follow this team.

Couldn't agree more totally unrelated but mad how quick that 2010 was gone, actually think should have been kept around for experience and leadership....Wish the current team gave as much, if they did we'd have a decent team on our hands... Can't wait until this years over hopefully we have a tactically astute manager who takes no shit!
mcGeeney very unpopular among the armagh fans after their display against Fermanagh .
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1863
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 am

I'm telling you - and I actually believe this more than ever with two more good minor & U20 teams this season - if we could get a tactically astute manager who got the best out of talent available, we could go places. Be a consistent Div 1 team over a number of seasons.

We actually saw a glimpse of what was possible last year which has lot of us even more driven to distraction.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2433
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 am

Cilldara_2000 wrote:
I see. Attack the messengers instead of the message, is it?

There is no doubt that the football right now is dire. That it was also dire at some stage in the past is irrelevant. And the contrast with hurling is particularly stark.

I also don't particularly care that Fermanagh showed very poor sportsmanship against Monaghan. My point was that their win cannot be heralded as anything significant at all because they only got the win by a flukey last minute goal.

What about the fact that they were close enough for that flukey last minute goal to be of any significance?

Scoring averages well up on 20 years ago.


Last edited by Ogie on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1863
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:41 am

I don't think it was a fluke, no more than Carlow's win was.

Both teams came with a strong tactical plan - more than can be said for us - worked like dogs and fully deserved their wins. Fair play to them.

I wish to Christ I could see anywhere near the work ethic in Kildare this year.

Teams like Carlow & Fermanagh feel they have to set up that way to compete and they're dead right. I will actually be up for Fermanagh in Ulster final, would love to see them win.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2433
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:44 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
I'd agree with Brophy at full forward, and would move Dan to centre forward.. there is also a change needed at full and centre back.. but does anyone really think theryll be any changes from the norm ?.. doubt it.

It will be staggering if there are no changes
Back to top Go down
The Lillywhite
Junior C
Junior C


Posts : 8
Join date : 2018-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:52 am

Ogie wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
I'd agree with Brophy at full forward, and would move Dan to centre forward.. there is also a change needed at full and centre back.. but does anyone really think theryll be any changes from the norm ?.. doubt it.

It will be staggering if there are no changes

Who gets dropped and who comes in? When you look at the bench there doesnt seem to be a lot there. Is McNally fit he hasnt had a look in and if nothing else will give it everything?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3700
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 am

The Lillywhite wrote:
Ogie wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
I'd agree with Brophy at full forward, and would move Dan to centre forward.. there is also a change needed at full and centre back.. but does anyone really think theryll be any changes from the norm ?.. doubt it.

It will be staggering if there are no changes

Who gets dropped and who comes in? When you look at the bench there doesnt seem to be a lot there. Is McNally fit he hasnt had a look in and if nothing else will give it everything?

That's the conundrum. Cotsy is honest, but hardly the answer.. I'd start Jimmy tbh. and I appreciate the step up.
I'd start him on the FF line along with Paddy and Neil Flynn if fit.. we'll need a decent score to win I think.. incidentally what's the story on Neil Flynn ?.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2649
Join date : 2010-01-31
Location : kildare

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:07 am

THE PLAYERS ATTITUDE is key to this games
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 2198
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:09 am

Cotsy, N Flynn and O'Donoghue were all unfit last day. Not sure about this week end but understood them all to be possibilities.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 2198
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:11 am

Not fair to Jimmy to play him and rule him out of an under 20 side who have a decent chance of a long campaign. Particularly with the the new u-20 format.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1257
Join date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:32 am

What's the story with Slattery? The find of year last year but a no show this year. Definitely gave us something different last year up front.
I'd leave the U 20's alone this year and let them enjoy playing football, certainly not much fun at senior at the moment.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 2198
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 am

Slattery’s a conundrum for me all year. Had hoped Cian was saving him for the hard ground but again left out in Tullamore. Didn’t do a whole lot when introduced either. Has to be in the reckoning for Saturday.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3700
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:18 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Not fair to Jimmy to play him and rule him out of an under 20 side who have a decent chance of a long campaign. Particularly with the the new u-20 format.

I get that completely, and you're probably 100% right.. but I think I'd play him.. It's a harsh one I know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Derry v Kildare   

Back to top Go down
 
Derry v Kildare
Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Martin Doyle
» Man gets six years for stabbing girlfriend
» Report of the The Bloody Sunday Inquiry Volume 1
» Report of the The Bloody Sunday Inquiry volume 2
» Report of the The Bloody Sunday Inquiry Volume 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: