Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare V Mayo

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Just on the match itself we need our shooting boots on and really scale back those depressing wides especially when you are gathering momentum in a game.

It goes without saying the frees have to count.

Padraig Graven still knocking around????
Back to top Go down
Sir Gazelle
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:55 pm

It will be interesting how Mayo line out with midfield taking a different dynamic to the league game with possibly Lee Keegan and Diarmiad O'Connor there so it could be a running midfield rather than battle of skies. HG is completely correct about dangers of runners as we completely neglected this area in the league and allowed mayo run through as they please. I was so impressed with Aidan O'Shea in the league, he was super effective and strong but that said too much respect was shown to AO'S. Despite giving away size Philly mc mahon doesn't give space for big guys like O Shea or Donaghy to showcase themselves. Point being that maximum aggression with adequate discipline required.
Back to top Go down
MD
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:22 am

This really has the makings of a great game. Watched Mayo in Longford before our game and mother of god they were shocking until they got that goal. I think its going to be evenly matched. You'd hope that the weeks that it has been will galvanise Kildare. They are absolutely capable of beating this Mayo team IF the mentality is right. Any word on Feely and whether he will start?? Could be the difference for us.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 am

Don't think anybody would be surprised if this one went to extra time - maybe even the double period & the free contest. No doubt we'd get a hammering over lack of floodlights!!

In all seriousness, I'd be jumping out of my skin if I was Kildare player this week. A few weeks ago we were an irrelevancy - now we're centre-stage in the biggest sporting event in the country.

I'd be ready to run through the dressing room wall - which would probably collapse handy enough if GAA H&S propaganda to be believed.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 am

Mayo only picked up against Tipp after they started their running game. Expect this to be their chief tactic given our glaring weakness. Moran is such a cute operator too.

Would strongly fancy D. FLYNN in against Cafferkey if he can eliminate the headless shots and passes and remain focussed for the full time. They may put Durcan on him though.

N. Flynn to open up as he will be given the space to.

Need to find someone to keep Keegan busy. To wonder is it even worth putting Brophy in full forward and having D Flynn running about with Keegan in tow. Bit of a sacrifice but would be some battle.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:34 am

One of the reasons I rank Keegan as the best half-back I've ever seen and also one of the greatest players I've ever seen, is that he can obliterate brilliant players - Sean Cavanagh, Michael Quinlivan, Enda Smith, Diarmuid Connolly, Ciaran Kilkenny - and also get forward and kick decisive scores.

I've literally never seen another player who can do that. What's more - as he showed against Quinlivan & Cavanagh - he can do it from the full back line. AOS blew away Feely in league, so I would be 90 percent sure Keegan will be on D Flynn.

Which leads to one interesting point: Niall Kelly is way down teams' list of priorities against Kildare these days. We could do with Kelly turning it on in this game tbh.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:44 am

If Keegan isn't marking Flynn I'd be delighted for the reason HG stated.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:26 am

I think we need to go man for man on their kick-outs and force Clarke to go long, given that midfield could be a difficulty for them.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am

On Feely - you would think he has to start - even if we can only get 50 mins out of him it would be a huge lift to the team and the crowd to have him starting. No point saving him for late in the game when it could be all over.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:34 am

Are we getting ahead of ourselves again here folks? Kildare will need to improve 30% on anything we've seen so far this year to just complete.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:46 am

Not getting ahead at all but better to talk about potential match ups than tickets.

Agreed on Keegan. Anyone who has ever played on the half back line appreciates his ability. But he's not at full match fitness yet I'd say. Also Flynn is "potentially" more athletic than all those superstars. That's what I find intriguing.

We could do with some Bolton like attacking. Someone capable of following D O Connor around and ending up putting the ball in back of the net.

Having Doyle protecting the D will invite their half back line in the attack. Need to clog up the 45.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:03 am

Very true about Keegan not yet being at full tilt. There are all these subplots that make it interesting.

To be frank - Mayo performing at the levels they've reached at the tail end of the last couple of seasons would blow us away by 12 to 15 points.

But they were very shaky against Tipp and they have been consistently vulnerable in qualifiers. And - the line that always infuriates their supporters (because it's true) - they haven't won an All Ireland and they are simply not as intimidating to other teams as Kerry and Dublin are.

All of which makes it very interesting indeed.
Back to top Go down
The Lillywhite
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:47 pm

ixus wrote:
Not getting ahead at all but better to talk about potential match ups than tickets.

Agreed on Keegan. Anyone who has ever played on the half back line appreciates his ability. But he's not at full match fitness yet I'd say.  Also Flynn is "potentially" more athletic than all those superstars. That's what I find intriguing.

We could do with some Bolton like attacking. Someone capable of following D O Connor around  and ending up putting the ball in back of the net.

Having Doyle protecting the D will invite their half back line in the attack. Need to clog up the 45.

I wouldnt like to see Keegan picking up Flynn. Like what was mentioned above Keegan has that stamina to go up the other end of the field and get scores and I dont think Flynn has the fitness to keep with him. After a couple of his incredible burst Flynn takes a while to revocer whereas Keegan can keep going.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:10 am

The current 'Hot Topics' on the Irish Examiner website: "Brexit, World Cup, Kildare GAA".

Fookin hell!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:37 am

I think we are going to win this. There, I said it...
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:06 am

Mark Donnellan,
Peter Kelly, David Hyland, Mick O'Grady,
Johnny Byrne, Eoin Doyle, Kevin Flynn,
Kevin Feely, Tommy Moolick,
Fergal Conway, Paul Cribbin, Keith Cribbin,
Neil Flynn, Daniel Flynn, Paddy Brophy
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:08 am

So Feely and Byrne for Murray and N Kelly the changes from the starting 15 v Longford
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:13 am

It doesn't matter who plays now it's all about guts, desire, running until you can't run anymore, never say die, don't concede an inch and do what needs to be done.

The County is as one, get behind them drive them on. Win.

I'm not going yet I'm racked with nerves and excited at the same time something I haven't felt in years. C'mon lads give it everything.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:20 am

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Diarmuid O’Connor - Ballintubber
9. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
12. James Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
13. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
14. Cillian O’Connor - Ballintubber(Captain)
15. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:22 am

Midfield can be got at if we push up, we have to push up though! if they run at us they will make hay but if we run at them we will make hay too!! Don't wanna jinx it but O'Connor and Moran haven't been good as of yet this year hopefully that continues. The two Durcan's are fast as fuck and need to be watched. I think we can win, we need to give it everything..Hon the Lilies!!
Back to top Go down
e.s.b.
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:07 am

i think that is our best team on form with Slattery and Kelly to come in, we need big performances all over the field as that is a very impressive Mayo lineup
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
I think we are going to win this. There, I said it...

I don’t dare to think that. Plus I have absolutely no clue how this game will go as Mayo and Kildare are both totally unpredictable. They’re due to be taken down though. Maybe just maybe it will be us.
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:31 am

Lads, i think the whole hysteria of this week coupled with the extremly warm weather has gotten into some lads heads on here. Only a few weeks we were looking at new potential managers as this team were playing pure shit football. We were beaten by CARLOW who then lost to Laois.....

Jesus H Christ, where do we get even the faintest idea that we can go out with probably our smallest group of supporters ever and beat this Mayo team. We need to get a grip on ourselves quickly and realise just where we really are coming from. This team haven't become the second best team in the land overnight and to be honest if what happened during the week hadn't happened we'd all be here knocking lumps out of CON and his team selection.

Come back down to earth lads, there is no way we will beat Mayo tomorrow, they are way ahead of us on so many aspects of the game and they have a very clever management team who will be lapping all this idolisation of CON and his troups.

Let's hope this don't turn out to be the biggest CON of all time....
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 am

Borderline wrote:
Lads, i think the whole hysteria of this week coupled with the extremly warm weather has gotten into some lads heads on here. Only a few weeks we were looking at new potential managers as this team were playing pure shit football. We were beaten by CARLOW who then lost to Laois.....

Jesus H Christ, where do we get even the faintest idea that we can go out with probably our smallest group of supporters ever and beat this Mayo team. We need to get a grip on ourselves quickly and realise just where we really are coming from. This team haven't become the second best team in the land overnight and to be honest if what happened during the week hadn't happened we'd all be here knocking lumps out of CON and his team selection.

Come back down to earth lads, there is no way we will beat Mayo tomorrow, they are way ahead of us on so many aspects of the game and they have a very clever management team who will be lapping all this idolisation of CON and his troups.

Let's hope this don't turn out to be the biggest CON of all time....

Is this lad a Kildare supporter?
Back to top Go down
Borderline
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 am

I sure am, just trying to quell the mass hysteria going on here. Please don't be putting so much pressure on the team before the even take the field. This is going to be a hell of a tough game tonight and I'd hate to see lads coming on here after the game thinking about the unrealistic expectation they are putting on the team. Patience boys.. Patience..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare V Mayo   

Back to top Go down

Kildare V Mayo
Page 9 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next