Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Super 8 's

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 am

Well we made it. An unbelievable achievement considering our Internet breaking loss to Carlow. However we regrouped, dug deep, found a new desire and work rate which pushed us past Derry and Longford.

Then all hell breaks lose and the County mobilises for war with Croke Park. We met on the battlefield and win.  
Suddenly the supporters are involved again, tickets are at a premium, the atmosphere is turned up to 11 and everyone has a common purpose, beat Mayo and let the Country know we are not being pushed around anymore.

The players respond and play the game of a generation. The scenes after hark back to Geezer' peak but more to Micko. Grown men dancing like they are 10 years old again. Mass jubilation. Oh to oh to be.... rings out for the first time in years. Joyous.

On we go to Navan. Walking in you could sense something was stirring. Thousands of lilies making their way in to enemy territory. A sea of white not seen in 8 years.

The players go to work and overpower Fermanagh not only on the scoreboard but physically as well. None of them taking a backward step. We win and win very well. The bandwagon leaves the station.  Who knows where it will bring us but it's brilliant to see it again.

Monaghan first up. Should have beat them in the league. Possibly not the force they were a few years ago and how Fermanagh beat them is a wonder. A game we can target, a game we can easily win but easily lose if we are not "at it". Croke Park hoodoo needs burying. No better time.

Galway in Newbridge good is luck getting tickets. If we have beaten Monaghan you may need to sacrifice a bodily part. We finally beat a team from the west if there is one County we owe a beating it's this lot. No better time.

Finally Kerry away. A shot to nothing. We are in bonus territory now any way. Depending on how other games go we may be out already we may be qualified already. We may need to beat them. No better time.

Roll on the next few weeks. Get your flags out if you haven't already. Take the County back from Mayo and Dublin or whoever's flags. Be Proud. Be heard at the games. Up the lilies.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 am

Great post Rex and will be hard to follow.

This last few weeks are as good as any following Kildare during my time. 98 and 2000 will live long in the memory purely for the joy that winning Leinster brought .

Very nearly got the holy grail in 98 but it wasn't to be .

Pride and passion is all one ever wanted from our players. "Die with your boots on" goes the cliche . I think that's why Mayo were as loved as they were. They too never lifted the holy grail .

We've qualified for the "Super 8s" and who would have predicted it 6 weeks ago. As low an ebb in Kildare football .
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 am

May 28th
8 points down to an average Laois under 20 team with 20 minutes to go , the day after being beat by Carlow. I was seriously considering burning my white jersey and moving house.

What an unreal turn around. Great few weeks ahead .
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 am

When the Leinster draw was made last October, we looked at getting in to the Super 8's as something very attainable as our path to a Leinster final was set fair having avoided Dublin and Meath. We have reached the Super 8's by a wholly different route, not one that anyone would have chosen (the Carlow defeat will forever be a blemish), but the circumstances have resulted in the team, the fans and the county suddenly united in a common purpose.

The way the fixtures in the Super 8's have fallen for us has been relatively kind - Monaghan like us have been in the qualifiers for 3 weeks now so in facing them in the first game, there is no advantage to either team. It we were playing Kerry and Galway on the other hand, they are coming in rested and refreshed. Obvious to say but the Monaghan game is now huge - win that and the following few weeks will be something to relish!
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 am

Class post Rex, buzzing with the last few matches, the last few years have been tough these past few weeks have made everything worth it!! Hon the Fecking Lilies!!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 am

My honest feeling...

I've always known this team has had the ability & ticked all the boxes to be a top side. The main question marks over them have always been - and will remain - psychological & tactical. Get those aspects right and they have the artillery to beat anyone.

If we were to take Mayo as a benchmark, we actually have the element that stopped them going the whole way - attacking players with creative ingenuity. If they continue to work hard and the management set-up is right - either under O'Neill or whoever his successor might be - the sky's the limit.

If I could say just one thing to the team, it would be: do the one thing Kildare teams generally don't do - aim for greatness. Don't be just another team.

Meantime, everyone should buckle up because these next few weeks are going to be exciting.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am

One other thing... It's interesting how this team's journey - so far - has been marked not so much by setbacks as utter disasters. The 2016 loss to Westmeath. Losing to Dublin's third string. The defeat to Armagh. Losing every game in Div 1. The humiliation against Carlow.

Each time they've got back on the horse - which does actually say a lot about their resolve. Onwards...
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Who would of taught this would happen a few weeks back I certainly didnt but great credit must go to all involved players management & of course the supporters who really got back behind Kildare since Newbridgeornowhere. The way we are playing now I think we really have a great chance getting out of the group.

We are in group A why are those games on the Sunday if they are the first group and group B games are on the Saturday not that is doesnt really matter but would the Gaa put the Dubs on at 4 on the Sunday with the world cup final on the same time????
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Perhaps because there's a better chance of Kerry and Galway supporters travelling on a Sunday? And I'd imagine they may have just ignored any ground football going on elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Kildare 13/8. Monaghan 8/13. Draw 8/1.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Any confirmed time and date for the game yet?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Think Sunday at 2pm in Croker.. hope the u20 match on at 12 in Croker aswell.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 pm

Hopefully they'll confirm the times and dates of the other two games today as well. Be nice to be able to plan an overnight in Killarney.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:18 am

Media and Kildare GAA twitter now reporting we're on Sunday at 2pm. No mention yet of the U20s and the GAA website is yet to be updated.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 am

A win over the Farney (Be a massive step up) and the Home game v Galway will become the biggest game since 2010.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
A win over the Farney (Be a massive step up) and the Home game v Galway will become the biggest game since 2010.
Agreed Seamus, could it also be said that CON has delivered if we beat the Farney folk?
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 am

Thought they would have announced the dates and times for the second series of games today as well. Would have made sense as it's not like anything will be decided after the first series of games and it would also have allowed people to make plans. Instead it looks like we will have to wait until next Monday for those to be announced............
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 am

The Monaghan game is huge. As in biggest since 2010 huge. Imagine winning it and heading to Newbridge on the back of it. Now imagine losing it, momentum gone doubts come back.

The way we are playing Croke Park should suit us down to the ground. Fast pitch, space and made for hard running. Yet we all know the experiences we have had there. Monaghan will try to be physical but that should suit us. It's 50/50  but the form of our subs may swing it in our favour. How we handle McManus will be one of the key gates to us progressing. If we get up and running from the off we'll be hard beat. Monaghan having played all Div 4 teams may mean they are undercooked a little. Thus a fast start is imperative.

Kildare by 4 if everything goes well.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:09 am

Lads I don't see Monaghan being undercooked. O'Rourke used the other two games to chop and change but he is close to a full deck to play with now.
Serious match-ups everywhere. They can move from the back and work their arses off and then have McManus shooting the lights out.
Beggan's kickouts and frees are awesome so he can keep it away from Feely...

It is a 50/50 in fairness but I would naturally think we can do it and this group now won't lie down in Croker this time. There is a sense that they are finally realising the owe themselves these performances.
Should be some good hits going in and Drew Wylie and Flynn could be a bit of craic if he is stationed back there...
The team has to stay as is and then expect imact from the bench.

In all the positivity there is definitely far more in Paddy Brophy to come, although he seems to be coming into form.
Kevin Flynn and Byrne have really pushed on and we even have good cover there in Murray.
Healy, Kelly and Slattery all give so much.

We managed to manage our bigger names the last day and got them off early. That being said we are finishing games so well it is crazy. So much speed and stamina.

IF we get a result there, I think Galway won't fancy Newbridge either.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 am

Niall Kelly has a calf injury and is likely to miss Monaghan .

No one is more delighted and proud at how we've performed the last 4/5 weeks . However Monaghan are a battled hardened Division 1 team ,have a couple of Ulster titles and have reached the last eight 4 out of the last 5 year's.

2015 was our last venture to the last 8. Less said about that the better. Last time we met Monaghan was 2014 where they won by 2 after extra time.

So in summary my heart says Kildare but my head says Monaghan . I just think in the back of my mind Carlow . Maybe I've just been burned too much. Maybe I'm afraid to dream.

If we could win , get over our Croke Park hoodoo, take another big scalp I believe that this team will have firmly turned a corner .

Galway at home to reach the semi final . My God it's the stuff of dreams . I'm afraid to dream .
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Fuck it, I'm dreaming! Not saying I expect us to win but I'm not in the "travelling in hope rather than expectation" mode of recent years either.
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Jim Mc Guinness seems to have what looks like an interesting article in this mornings Irish Times. Behind a paywall though.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Anyone know if the Hill is open on Sunday? Or would 16 hours be enough time to disinfect the place after Saturday night?
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 pm

bloodsub wrote:
Anyone know if the Hill is open on Sunday? Or would 16 hours be enough time to disinfect the place after Saturday night?

I read somewhere it is. Can't remember where I read it though.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 pm

I have to say I dismissed the team and management earlier on in the season for not having the balls to win the big games. I've been proved wrong and I'm delighted I have. While there is still a long way to go at least we are showing signs of improvement and unity.

Not sure what to make of the Monaghan game. I'm hoping we sneak a win and then it's to play for.

I see elsewhere on the world wide web has predicted that we finish last in the group because the last time we were in this company we shipped 7 goals. Now I'm not saying this brainbox will be wrong but that was 2015. And we played in the Leinster Final in 2017. Some man for analysing games. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next