Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Tommy Walsh could return from the AFL to assist Kerins O'Rahilly's in their bid to land the Kerry SFC title.

The former Young Footballer of the Year, who joined St. Kilda's after Kerry's All-Ireland victory last year, is due back in Tralee next month and O'Rahilly's manager Mark Fitzgerald is hoping to avail of his services.

"Tommy cannot come back until the middle of September at the earliest. We would be hoping we will still be around competing for silverware. If we are still involved in the championship at that stage, he'll be a huge boost. But we are not looking beyond St. Brendan's. They will be tough opponents on Sunday."

O'Rahilly's defeated Rathmore on Saturday to land the Kerry club SFC and will represent Kerry in the Munster club championship for the second year-in-a-row if a divisional team win the county SFC.

"Yes, it's a competition won and another box ticked. But we have aspirations like many other teams in trying to win the county senior football championship which is the premier competition. That is our ultimate aim. But we will keep plugging away and if this is our entry into Munster, then great."

Whats peoples opinion on this?

Someone who goes to New York for a month and plays a bit of GAA whilst he's over there can't come back and play with his own club immediately, Yet Tommy Walsh can become a professional athlete, play a completely different sport, return home and play against amatuers with no sanction whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:26 pm

fionn the resaon he can do it is because it is a different sport.

He will not be the first one to do this either. Murphy from Carlow played for his club in the time that he was home 2 years ago. It didnt work out for his club because they didnt know where to play him and it just upset the team.
I must say I dont have any problem with them playing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:30 pm

I realise its a different sport shoutitout, but what about the players in the club who have trained together all year.

I'd have problem with the fact that he is still a professional athlete coming back to play an amatuer sport similar to the one he is playing.

If he was no longer a Contracted professional there would be no problem.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Sure if he came home and didnt play there would be a bigger uproar. Kennelly used always do it for listowel emmets aswel, I admire them, shows that they still have the deire to tog out for the club aswell should the need arise.

Fionn, would you begrudge Paul Cribben the chance to play in an Intermediate final next year if he was home and the season was over? honestly?
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 pm

I dont see any problem with this at all.

Sure lads have been going to Oz for years going on the lash for months and coming home in time for championships and displacing the guys who trained in the shite in January and February while So and So was topping up his tan on Coggee beach and chatting up the Sheilas.

If anything Tommy Walsh has a better case as he was playing sport and keeping fit plus he's a great player.
Back to top Go down
browser
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Even though it's a similar sport I know of a player who can't play for his club for another few weeks because of that rule. And he wasn't even playing for a gaelic football team out there he was playing oz rules. Seems a little strange tommy walsh can do it but a club player has to sit it out. Another case of who you are I suppose.

However if a clubmate of mine was playing out there professionally I'd love to have him back to help us win the club championship. No doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Kevin Moran did it for Dublin while playing with Manchester United... made shite of his knee and was never allowed do it again.

Can't imagine anyone at O'Rahillys telling Tommy Walsh to fuck off back to Oz.

And can't understand how a lad isn't allowed play GAA after playing Oz Rules - how would they even know he played Oz Rules and what has it got to do with GAA? I reckon your mate is getting rode browser, or it's got something to do with more than Oz Rules.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 pm

[quote="fionnmccool"]I realise its a different sport shoutitout, but what about the players in the club who have trained together all year.

fionn that was the point that I made about Murphy, when he came back it upset the team, but that is down to the club.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.   

Back to top Go down

Tommy Walsh Could Return for O'Rahilly's.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1