Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kildare Development Squads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
ballyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am

The u16, 17 and minor have approx 15 mentors involved, most are involved at club level, it would be very unusual that their wasn't somebody keeping an eye. The norm would be for someone to watch out for lads in the divisions their clubs are in. I do know that my own club gets calls from their assigned county coaching officer looking for any lads that show potential and we would also be asked about lads in other clubs, I would assume this applies across the board. I hope it does anyway
Back to top Go down
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Kildare Castle wrote:
Mon 5th may ,Kildare u17s v Kilmacud Crokes Minors in Hawkfield at 7

Anybody at this game or know how it went?
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Tue May 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Your spot on Ballyboy, the mentors of all the various development do attend a lot of games to assess players and also discuss players from other squads that they are not involved with and inform one another if they see a player who stands out.
What club are you from "The Observer"......I'm sure players from your club who you think are good enough to be involved with 17 squad have already been looked at...... have they been called in for trials before...??? if not a phone call to any mentor would be welcome i'd say.
Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 am

what clubs are u17 mentors involved with otb
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 am

Dont know who the are or what clubs there from observer, I'm sure the coaches in hawkfield would have that information. I would say it doesn't really matter where there from......
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 1:31 am

Maybe if the County Coaching officer was at these games instead of being Mr kildare we might have a chance to unearth a few good players. In all the underage games I have being at this year{and thats quite a few} i haven't seen him once.....
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 1:55 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Kildare Castle wrote:

I'm sure there are 100 reasons why I'm wrong, but that just sits uncomfortably.

Would agree with you there TK. What chance do they stand against a whole Dublin selection if they are pitting them up against one club outfit. I know they are U17 v minors but it gives the wrong impression.
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 am

Starting to get a strong taste of grapes from this thread observer , think it has been clearly spelt out to you what to do if u know of any potenial county players . 17s beaten yesterday by crokes by 6 or 7 , they looked decent but to be fair our lads havent been doing much training the last few weeks
Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 3:22 am

u would say that with you been well in there with the county squad lollypop, all i'm saying it wouldn't do any harm for selectors to go watch matches instead of them waiting on players to come to them
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 am

The observer wrote:
u would say that with you been well in there with the county squad lollypop, all i'm saying it wouldn't do any harm for selectors to go watch matches instead of them waiting on players to come to them
Thats a bit harsh there lad but while we re on the subject the u17 manager has been at our games and the minor manager was at our semi final last week . These selectors your giving out about are also heavily involved with there clubs and cant be at every game . I rang de county 16s earlier in the year because i felt we had a lad good enough , hasnt been called in for trials yet but they knew about him and said they would have another look . Maybe they dont rate him at a higher level . I ve always contacted county selectors with regards to opposition players who have played well against us and presumed everyone else done the same
Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 am

the result last night goes to show theres something wrong when next years minors cant beat a club team, the excuse they havent trained doesnt make sense all these players have been with their clubs playing league matches past few months, correct me if i'm wrong but are the u17 selectors all involved with div2 or less teams
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 am

All of them lads who played last night , this years 16s ,the lads on the minor panel this year and whoever the clubs send in will be on minor trials early 2015 . The minor selectors will then decide who they think are the best group and no matter what me and you think ,thats they way it works . Dont know where your goin with your div 2 thing but good luck , hope things work out for ye
Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 am

point being lollypop if they are then who gets to watch the players playing in div 1 each week, my problem is with the system there should be someone neutral that can take any game in each week and not be tied to a club, too many players being missed each year because of this set up
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 10:01 am

The observer

U volunteering for a job ???

Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 6:53 pm

even better idea kelf, all these white joe mallons vans you see driving around put one of these lads with each development squad and give them the job of spotting new talent and if costs a bit extra it would be worth it in the long run
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Not getting into the argument, but I wouldnt agree that the U17s are "next Years Minors", as there would usually be a good few U16s will come into the fold.. There may also be Players who are not involved with the 17s for whatever reason, who will attend Trials and make the Panel..
Its good to hear that there is an "open door" Policy in place, as this wasnt always the case previously, but that may have being down to individuals involved..
Back to top Go down
thelads
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 9:53 pm

observer how many players would you have on these panels i dont think that to many players get missed as it is, theres a world of difference between club and county, even my own club have a player super talented in club games but cant make the step up and hes not on his own. when you look at a player you have to ask is he better than whats there allready ,the line must be drawn somewhere.
Back to top Go down
fatherted
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 10:58 pm

I've always found that if there was a player off the radar that was playing well the selecters are always receptive to the call to have a look. The open door poicy exists and should exist, no way should any player feel he's made it by getting onto the panel. Players improve at different ages and a player that was average at u14 could be unrecognisable at minor. Observer if there's someone you feel was overlooked then get on the phone, my experience of the coaches are they're delighted to get that call
Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 11:05 pm

i'm not here to push for individual players or certain clubs, whats the problem with continual assessment of players playing within our divisions, trial games give players limited oportunities to stand out, ive often seen corner forwards or corner backs not get a kick of the ball in these trials through no fault of their own its the nature of trials every player is out to impress ands its not always a true reflection on players abilities.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Wed May 07, 2014 11:18 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Kildare Castle wrote:

I'm sure there are 100 reasons why I'm wrong, but that just sits uncomfortably.

I have to agree, totally wrong. Have we now lost the physiological game with Dublin as well as the football game. First we play 'Home games' against Dublin in Croke Park and now we are letting our 'county selections' play their 'club selections'. We all know how far Dublin are ahead at the moment but I don't think these type of 'match ups' are going to help Kildare improve in the long run.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Thu May 08, 2014 1:59 am

The reason why U17 Development squad played Kilmucud Crokes in challenge match was because they requested a game and more importantly there is no set competition in Leinster for U17 Development Squads. From what I've been told the mentors are trying to set up competition with other counties that will be played in Hawkfield on set dates over the summer providing dates can be found.
Also there is at least 9 maybe 10 players on this years minor panel who are eligible for this years 17 squad and they would be a huge addiction to the 17 Development squad. With those players gone from 17 squad there has been trials earlier in the year and from what i'm told 11 or 12 new faces have been brought into this squad and are continuing to be coached and assessed for 2014. As has been said on here before, this squad has been open ended and players who have shown form will be monitored and looked at throughout the year.
Looking at this years minor panel I can say for certain that they have 3 or 4 players who only joined development squads at 16 and some only in at minor level who have never been on any development squad down through the age levels. So I would say that very few players have been missed by mentors for the various squads and if they have been missed, they will be given a chance to shine if their form is good. IMO its not a exact science with these squads, players develop at different stages and age levels and I'm sure this is one of the most important considerations the mentors have to take on board. Posters have already said on here that the mentors are only to willing to take a call if a club thinks they have a player who deserves a chance and whoever has a issue give them a bell and state your case.
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Thu May 08, 2014 4:45 am

overthebar wrote:
The reason why U17 Development squad played Kilmucud Crokes in challenge match was because they requested a game and more importantly there is no set competition in Leinster for U17 Development Squads. From what I've been told the mentors are trying to set up competition with other counties that will be played in Hawkfield on set dates over the summer providing dates can be found.
Also there is at least 9 maybe 10 players on this years minor panel who are eligible for this years 17 squad and they would be a huge addiction to the 17 Development squad. With those players gone from 17 squad there has been trials earlier in the year and from what i'm told 11 or 12 new faces have been brought into this squad and are continuing to be coached and assessed for 2014. As has been said on here before, this squad has been open ended and players who have shown form will be monitored and looked at throughout the year.
Looking at this years minor panel I can say for certain that they have 3 or 4 players who only joined development squads at 16 and some only in at minor level who have never been on any development squad down through the age levels. So I would say that very few players have been missed by mentors for the various squads and if they have been missed, they will be given a chance to shine if their form is good. IMO its not a exact science with these squads, players develop at different stages and age levels and I'm sure this is one of the most important considerations the mentors have to take on board. Posters have already said on here that the mentors are only to willing to take a call if a club thinks they have a player who deserves a chance and whoever has a issue give them a bell and state your case.

Are you one of these mentors overthebar you seem to be well in there with all the info on tap and you always say "From what I've been told" i think you could be the missing Coaching Officer..... that is missing in action......
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Thu May 08, 2014 8:32 am

Think again dido.....not involved at all but do have a good friend who is involved and I get to some of the games from time to time. The info is there for anyone to access from any coaching officer and I do have a interest in coaching, which I do a good bit in my club....
Back to top Go down
ballyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Thu May 08, 2014 10:52 am

Not involved myself either but have always taken an interest, someone posted earlier that the should appoint one off the coaches to each squad.... that exactly what has been done and it has been the case since the development squad's were formed. Someone else pointed out that there is no competition for u17's which is the case, for a few years they were played in few Leinster minor league games, think this happened this year as well. Seamus your spot on about 17's, there is at least 10-12 of these lads with the minor squad, that leaves them somewhat thread bare as the are not allowed to call on 16's. Last years minor's while at u17 played Dublin club teams regularly, didn't do them any harm.

There will be comprehensive minor trials at the end of the year, there always is, I know this because some off it takes place in our grounds, each player will get at least 3 shots at it, if he can't perform in a trial how the hell would he perform in an inter county game. Some guys don't do pressure well no mater how talented they are
Back to top Go down
The observer
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Thu May 08, 2014 7:32 pm

to the lads who know an awful lot but are not involved, if everything is so perfect and we do everything right why is it apart from last year it was 22 years since we last one a leinster title, surely there are changes that could be made because we seem to be able to compete up to u16s and be successful and then always fall short
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Development Squads    Today at 2:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Kildare Development Squads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next